My Sauerkraut Started

Smokin Don
User
User

Day 4

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Jan 13, 2013 16:48

This is my sauerkraut day 4. All raised to the top; I just wondered if the was normal?
Don

I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 17:46

Lynn wrote:
The first batch this year was autumn cabbage and it was just as you described - sweet, crunchy and heavy as lead. It was so good, in fact, that it all got eaten. Which was the reason for going with the Chinese cabbage - it was what we had in the cold room.
Wow! That's impressive. Look what happens when folks TRY! Lynn, you are an inspiration. (and a foxy lady too!) :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Day 4

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:37

Smokin Don wrote:This is my sauerkraut day 4. All raised to the top; I just wondered if the was normal?
Don
the cabbage will rise so you want to put them weights on the kraut Don. You want to be sure the kraut stays under the liquid. If you can't get clean (mine are ceramic) weights on it fill a zip lock bag with water and use that.
Smokin Don
User
User

Re: Day 4

Post by Smokin Don » Mon Jan 14, 2013 06:59

Dave Zac wrote:
Smokin Don wrote:This is my sauerkraut day 4. All raised to the top; I just wondered if the was normal?
Don
the cabbage will rise so you want to put them weights on the kraut Don. You want to be sure the kraut stays under the liquid. If you can't get clean (mine are ceramic) weights on it fill a zip lock bag with water and use that.
Thanks Dave, the weights were on it so I used plastic bag and water and got it down good. One thing it was starting to smell like kraut! Don
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu May 16, 2013 06:53

crustyo44 wrote:Don,
I will be checking your pictorial progress to see how this all works out. I like to have a go at making proper sauerkraut. Winter would be the only time here as 100F would not be helpful in making good kraut.
Good Luck.
Jan.
You can make sauerkraut in warm weather. We make it in the tropics just fine. It ferments quite fast, and you have to watch your water levels so you don't get any evaporation and expose the cabbage to the air.

Scum forms on the surface quite quickly, so skim it off every day.

-t
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu May 16, 2013 07:01

crustyo44 wrote:Red and Lynn,
You seem to be the resident Kraut experts here. I would like to decrease some of my salt intake but sauerkraut seems to have loads in it.
How does this work exactly?
Thank you.
Jan.
Rinse your kraut well before you cook it and you will rinse away all of the excess salt.

Without the salt, you risk nasty bacteria infiltrating your fermentation and we all know that's not a good thing.

-t
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu May 16, 2013 07:02

Just as an aside in this conversation, you don't need a lid on your jar, just a covering to keep things from falling in the container. We just use a cloth. If you seal the lid, the jar will explode...

Keep that cabbage submerged at all times or it will spoil. The key to proper fermentation is to keep it submerged so that only the anaerobic bacteria get a change to work on it!

-t
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Thu May 16, 2013 08:41

Thewitt wrote:Just as an aside in this conversation, you don't need a lid on your jar, just a covering to keep things from falling in the container. We just use a cloth. If you seal the lid, the jar will explode...

-t
Thewitt, this jar was not sealed, it has an air lock on top filled with water. This way I don't have to hear my wife complain about any smell. I just finished my second batch and it turned out great. Don
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu May 16, 2013 09:20

Glad to hear of your success! Most people think its too difficult to make, but as you have seen its very simple :wink:

-t
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu May 16, 2013 12:18

I have only had sauerkkraut when I was only 17 and on an outward bound course in Germany. At the time I intensley disliked it. I also did not like gravey, did not have milk on my cornflakes, disliked salami, spices; and baked beans were the only vegetable that I liked!. What time, traveling, taking risks and a sense of what the heck has done to my taste buds.

Anyway I have had pickled cabbage and loved it. I realise that sk is fermentated. What is its texture like. One day I must try some. I am sure that I would love it?
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Thu May 16, 2013 12:37

markjass wrote:I have only had sauerkkraut when I was only 17 and on an outward bound course in Germany. At the time I intensley disliked it. I also did not like gravey, did not have milk on my cornflakes, disliked salami, spices; and baked beans were the only vegetable that I liked!. What time, traveling, taking risks and a sense of what the heck has done to my taste buds.

Anyway I have had pickled cabbage and loved it. I realise that sk is fermentated. What is its texture like. One day I must try some. I am sure that I would love it?
Quality sauerkraut is crunchy when raw and soft when cooked. You can eat it either way.

-t
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat May 25, 2013 08:53

Don and Lynne,
I have succumbed!
After reading your descriptions of your sauerkraut efforts, I went to the market yesterday and bought a big juicy autumn (that's your fall) cabbage and now have a happy jar of sauerkraut winking at me from the hearth.
I just couldn't resist.
I have many happy memories of sauerkraut and spaetzle with a nice hunk of smoked meat cooked by my mum. Now it's my turn!
Best wishes Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat May 25, 2013 20:29

Hi Ursula,
Before you know it, you will also be making "Pickled Korean Kimchi"
Good Luck,
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun May 26, 2013 06:01

Jan
I love Korean food, especially their soups. I have wondered about kimchi, but have never tasted it. Don't want to sacrifice a whole cabbage till I try it. On my list to try. What is it like? Is it similar to sauerkraut?
Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun May 26, 2013 08:41

Hi Ursula,
My eldest grand-daughter made Kimchi from 1 whole cabbage as a trial. The recipe is on You Tube
Search for Home made Kimchi, click on Korean food by Maangchi.
It's easy and we all love it. I like the hot variety with lots of Chilli flakes. ( as usual!!!!)
We have several Korean Restaurants here. $ 20.00 as much as you eat. Kimchi features rather big on my food intake.
Good Luck,
Jan.