corned beef

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

corned beef

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:05

I know that tradition holds brisket as the proper cut for corned beef but brisket is running at nearly 2 dollars per pound more than chuck around here. Is it written anywhere that we must not use chuck for corned beef?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:36

You can corn any cut.
Godspeed!

Bob
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 31, 2013 22:28

Last year around St. Patricks Day I picked up a dozen corned beef flats for $1.78lb. I don't know of any other beef cut that I can get for that price. I'm sure those sale prices are just meant to get people into the store, but it works for me. I figure the money I save on food is negated by running two freezers in my garage year round, but the food is always right there when I want it. I've got one corned beef left and that will have to do till St. Patty's Day rolls around again March.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 22:52

Ray you got a deal!

It seems the price of brisket has gone up as Texas style BBQ has become more popular. I hope pork butt doesn't get trendy & spendy!

Has anyone on this forum successfully dry cured corned beef? I am thinking of trying that instead of wet curing, but am concerned that a brisket would be too thick for dry curing.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 31, 2013 23:52

I've found that another way to beat the sky-rocketing cost of beef is to use the crockpot. I can usually wait for a sale and score beef rump roast for $2.49lb. While being way too tough and lean for a steak or a cooked roast it can be turned into a delicious beef bourguignon or pot roast in the crockpot. Rump roast is also what I grind into burger these days. I used to score whole untrimmed tritips fpr $2.99lb, and that deal is still out there to be had, but by the time you trim most of the fat off the roast it's not such a deal. For so many years of my life I ate steak or lamb chops 5-6 nights a week, now I eat a lot of chicken and sausage. Oh, and the cold weather here has driven the price of fresh vegatables thru the roof this past month. A head of Romaine that I was paying 88≠ for now sells for $1.98, brocolli crowns now sale priced at $2.99lb, 99≠lb a month ago, asparagus, a joke. The only fresh veggie I've been buying is zucchini, still under a buck a pound. I use it with frozen artichoke hearts in a fritatta and frozen spinach with some onion and cheese in a souffle. Geez, this whole subject is starting to raise my blood pressure! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 01, 2013 00:00

fresh brisket here is about $5/pound and corned is pumped so fullthat a 5 pound piece yields a 3.5 pound platter piece.
Ross- tightwad home cook