Fat extraction for GB Jerky

pikeman_95
Beginner
Beginner

Post by pikeman_95 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 06:10

I showed this system on another forum but I thought your guys would be interested in the process. I received 15 pounds of high fat meat patties from my brother-in-law. It had way too much fat, probably 20+%. I tried a fat extraction technique I learned on the food tech channel. I added 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the 15 pounds and gave it a good mixing in my 5 gallon mixer. Then I put into the mixing tub and swished it around. The fat stuck to the tub and not the meat. I just made sure that I did not scrape the tub with my fingers while moving the meat around.

this is what the meat looked like before I started.

After mixing I then started swishing and rolling it around in the tub. Notice the fat sticking and not much of the meat.

I then took a spatula and started scraping off the fat. I did this about three times. All the time the ground meat is looking darker.

Just the fat stuck to the tote and not the meat. I collected 2 1/2 pounds of fat counting the fat that was stuck to my gloves. I figure I removed over 3 pounds of fat.

After I removed the fat I then added the spice and the cure and headed back to the mixing bucket. I pulled even more fat off the bucket when this process was done.

I used 3.3oz of Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki per pound of meat and 3 tbs of crushed red pepper. and 17.01 grams of cure # 1

All mixed and ready to make sticks out of. As usual it started to turn brown after the cure was added.

Here is a video of the rolling and stick making process. I have stainless sheets that fit between the jerky board spacers.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad27 ... dvideo.mp4

Here is also a couple of stills.

After a day in the fridge I headed for the smoker. Only because I had too much to do to take time to smoke it.

Here it is going to the smoker.

after the smoker for about 4 hours I placed it into the dehydrator and it spent about 24 hours in there and the wrapped and ready for the freezer.

test for leathery texture.

ready for freezer

Thanks for watching.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 08:00

Hey, hey, Kirby! That is a wonderful presentation. Thanks for sharing. The photos are terrific and the content is most educational. Your final product is making me drool! Very nice pal. :wink: I'm sure there's a heck of a lot of jerky makers out there who will be grateful for you sharing this knowledge!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Tue Feb 05, 2013 01:23

Nice work Kirby! It looks very tasty!
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Feb 05, 2013 02:00

Kirby, where did you get the molds? Looks good, BTW,.
Rudy
pikeman_95
Beginner
Beginner

Post by pikeman_95 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 05:06

IdaKraut wrote:Kirby, where did you get the molds? Looks good, BTW,.
Idakraut

The strips on the side of the board are 1/4 inch thick poly cut out with my table saw and the other tool was just a strip of 1 inch thick poly that I used my dado blade to cut out the center. The white powder on the plastic wrap is powdered sugar to keep the wrap from sticking to the pipe. Look up any plastic company and they should be able to help you out.