Ross's Maryland Bakery

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:38

Rudy-
Yea I here Ya about the crust. In The old NY delli's rolls and bread were pretty much in the open air...crust stayed crisper.
For a harder crust try preheating oven to 450f, add rolls, spray with spray bottle, and turn down oven to 375f until done.
And yes I like a high gluten flour. I use http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/imperi ... gEQM6y296w
I never thought the taste of flour could make a difference until I got that for making Pizza Dough.
I am now making some NY Jewish Deli Rye to go along with the liverwurst that I made on Sunday with your recipe that you posted.

Ross-
Your the Boss
I only know how to make, Hard rolls , Rye bread, and Pizza crust.
And...I came to this site for sausage making...not bread.
So much to learn.
Last edited by Bob K on Wed Aug 07, 2013 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 06, 2013 16:49

Bob, If I live another fifty years I won't have time to learn all of the things that I know about but don't know in depth. Seems like every time I learn something new it open a whole new chapter about what I have to learn about what I just learn about.
:-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 08, 2013 18:25

Another one for you Rudy from back East-

I made this to compliment your liverwurst and a Pastrami I made on Sunday:

Old School NY Jewish Deli Rye....with seeds.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 08, 2013 18:55

Bob, That is very fine looking rye bread. My rye bread needs a lot more work before I will be pleased with it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Aug 09, 2013 01:26

Bob,
You've got me drooling. That loaf is beautiful.
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 09, 2013 02:33

Rudy, Twist his arm and get him to tell you how he makes it happen and the tell the rest of us. :roll:
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Aug 09, 2013 05:28

Darn!!! Bob, You can't keep Us hanging!!! We all love to experiment. I remember a bakery here in Buffalo named Kaufmans. My dad sent me a 8 lb NY Rye when I was in country in Nam. Took 6 weeks to get there. NOTHING spoiled. No mold, crust was a little hard but every bit edible. BEST rye bread I ever had, lol. Hell it still had the bakers "Union label" on it. My dad was a route man for Wonder Bread, 40 years. Would appreciate any info on the making of the NY rye. SUPERB! Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 06:42

Ross-
Your the Boss
I only know how to make, Hard rolls , Rye bread, and Pizza crust.
And...I came to this site for sausage making...not bread.
So much to learn.
Hey, hey Bob K!
That Old School NY Jewish Deli Rye....with seeds looks very nice indeed. Very professional. There are a few sausages that just demand some good cheese and a good bread or bun. That's the reason we opened Ross' Maryland Bakery. That crafty ol' "Rongway" Hill can make exquisite bread in his sleep! He does it scientifically, carefully measuring and weighing all the ingredients while thoroughly describing his process techniques. Ross' heart is as large as the state he lives in. He's just like Stan Marianski - they both share their secrets and even their recipes.
Hmmmm.... are you getting the drift? Come on Bob, SHARE your recipe for that wonderful bread... so Rudy, Fred, and I don't have to come to Connecticut and find you! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Aug 09, 2013 16:07

Ok I will post the recipe ....but while the recipe is simple some of the ingredients are hard to find locally or need to be made ahead of time.

Let me first put something together with pictures and online source links.

You will need

First Clear Flour

White Rye Flour (Cream of Rye)

An active sourdough starter for making Rye Sour
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 09, 2013 17:31

Since Bob K has introduced specialty flours to us as bread making ingredients it is time to provide a link to the better home baking suppliers. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/ This company seems to be to go to company and they are able to meet the needs of the baking population just as the Sausage Maker meets the needs of the charcuterie population. There are of course others.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Aug 09, 2013 17:53

And if you get the idea that you want to go into business there is this http://www.allbulkfoods.com/index.php/cPath/1001_31
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 18:22

I've been using that brand of bread flour for my pizza dough and been very happy with the results, rave reviews. My burger buns on the other hand still don't make me happy as I could be, they are "heavy". We're going shopping today and I'll pick up more of the bread flour and some of their all purpose flour as well. I found a recipe on their site for "light fluffy burger buns" that I'm chomping at the bit to try, I'll report my results. Thanks for posting that site Ross! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 10, 2013 18:28

Ray try increasing the liquid content of the rolls/buns by a percent or so. It doesn't take much.
Some of the lightest, most holey breads are about 75% liquid in the dough. They are beastly to handle and want to run off the table but they are lovely to eat when completely fresh. They don't keep well.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Aug 11, 2013 17:39

Yesterday at the market I picked up a 5-pound bag each of the King Arthur all-purpose, and bread flour. It was about twice the price of the other all-purpose flour I'd been using, so if "you get what you pay for" wrings out things can only get better. The site Ross posted had tons of recipes, I'm going to try this one first. RAY

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... uns-recipe
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 11, 2013 18:03

Ray click the button that gives the cups, ounces, grams option and it will give you weights. The recipe is quite similar to the eggs/milk/water recipe. Bob K's method of topping with savory will also work here.

I was telling Nancy that someday I am going to buy a bag of every brand and type of flour that I can find locally and make side by side batches and compare the results. I haven't noticed any difference in house brand all purpose flour.
Ross- tightwad home cook