Ross's Maryland Bakery

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Aug 25, 2013 19:42

Bob K A few questions if I May:
1. At the top of this thread You mentioned First Clear Flour. Then You mentioned to use
white rye flour in the "starter" mix, do I need both? Or use either one?
2. The starter recipe calls for eventually putting of 1.5 cups of flour and 1 cup of water, so
making the starter is a 2 part deal?
3. When I order the starter what culture do I want. I just want a good, sour Jewish rye, what do you
suggest? Your rye looks exactly what I want.

Thanks Bob, Cannot get a good rye bread down here in Florida. I'm on a mission now. Fred

PS I remember being in Quebec 50 years ago and there were so many (In the country) outdoor roadside, on the hills, ovens baking bread. BEST BREAD I EVER HAD. Thanks again :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 25, 2013 19:43

Thanks BobK.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

This is what I have learned so far.

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 25, 2013 19:46

First let me state that I have just this past week learned of this method and I have yet to understand the mechanics involved.
The process seems to be quite variable with people using from about7 % of the flour in the recipe to as much as 30% to make the cooked flour/water paste. (I don't like the use of "roux" as I consider a "roux" to be flour and fat heated for thickening a sauce). Never the less The Recipe always seems to be about 73% hydration and 80% is not too much. Some recipes call for mixing the water and fat and bring that to a boil and adding it to the flour.
Nancy and I discussed the cause and effect and decided that cooking some of the flour with water resulted in a softer gluten chain in the dough. The crust on the loaf is thin and soft. Just what I would want for a burger or sausage bun.
The recipe in weights and percentages comes out like this: (yesterday's batch)

Flour 500 grams 100%
water275 ml
milk 125 ml
total liquid 80%
Melted fat 40 ml 8%
Sugar 30 grams 6%
Salt 7.5 grams 1.5%
Yeast less than 1% It is never critical about the amount more is faster less is tastier within practical limits.
Instructions: cook about 10% of the flour with about 30 % to 50% of the water until it thickens stir it constantly to avoid lumps. At this point some recipes say allow it to cool over night and others say to add the rest of the liquid at this point and continue. It probably doesn`t matter. Liquid+ paste+ sugar+ yeast are mixed and added to the flour and mixed to moisten then fat + salt are added and mixed in. From here it depends on the mixing and kneading method you will use. I mix be hand and let the dough rest for a half hour and then knead for a few minutes until it "feels" right. I oil the dough ball with a teaspoon of melted fat and cover it for about 3 hours. Then I dump it and shape it. I baked 4 small loaves for 30 minutes at 375°F.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 25, 2013 19:50

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/flours/
Fred these people have a good discussion about flour and the differences.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Aug 25, 2013 19:55

Thanks Ross, Much appreciated, Fred :cool:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Aug 25, 2013 20:34

Bob K A few questions if I May:
1. At the top of this thread You mentioned First Clear Flour. Then You mentioned to use
white rye flour in the "starter" mix, do I need both? Or use either one?

Fred-

You us both - Rye flour in the starter and Fist clear as the main amount

Ingredients

First Clear Flour 1lb 454gr 100 %

Instant Yeast 1 1/2 tsp

Water 8oz 237gr 52%

Salt 1 1/4 tsp 7gr 1.5%

Rye Sour 1 cup 230 gr 51% (this is the only rye flour used)

2. The starter recipe calls for eventually putting of 1.5 cups of flour and 1 cup of water, so
making the starter is a 2 part deal?

Yes-
You start with the ongoing (rye) starter, add 1 cup rye flour and 1/2 cup water, to make the sour, after fermenting use the amount specified in the recipe, you will have some left, refridgerate and save for next time (the ongoing starter)

3. When I order the starter what culture do I want. I just want a good, sour Jewish rye, what do you
suggest? Your rye looks exactly what I want.

I would sugest the Italian culture, they are prolific and easy to maintain. Just dont use cloronated water it will kill the lactobacilli bacteria.

As far as flavor the rye flavor dominates with the bacteria adding the acidic (sour) taste.
It will get a bit stronger with age.
The wild yeast in the cultures are overpowered by the instant yeast.

Thanks Bob, Cannot get a good rye bread down here in Florida. I'm on a mission now. Fred

That was why I was on a mission the make this type of rye. The rye around here does not even come close.

Bob
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Sun Aug 25, 2013 21:01

Bob, YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank You, Fred :smile:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 25, 2013 23:29

Bob, That is a very helpful reply. Thank you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Aug 26, 2013 04:05

Had pulled pork BBQ sandwiches for supper. The bread doesn't need the sugar or sweetener.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

New recipe

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 27, 2013 02:07

I wasn't thrilled with the result of the recipe I posted yesterday so I decided to try something different.
I often see commercial bread labeled "Potato Bread". Though that I would try my hand at some and this is what I did and what I got.
Instant mashed potato flakes 2.5 ounces
King Arthur whole wheat flour 4 ounces
Unbleached all purpose white flour 12 ounces
Water 17.5 ounces. That is an awful lot of water and the dough is very slack.
1 teaspoon of yeast and salt a scant tablespoon or .27 ounces 1.5%
3 tablespoons melted bacon fat.
Mix and knead and worry it from 2:45 until 5:45 pm allowing it to rise.
Dump the dough onto lots of flour and with a scraper in hand fold it into thirds about six times.
Divide it into quarters and the quarters into thirds and shape it into rounds. Bake for 30 minutes at 375°F. These are a good balance between tender and substantial. Nancy said a bit too crusty fresh from the oven for her mouth ability. But she has a tender mouth.

Image Image Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 05:13

Wow! They look great. I love the potato content. Can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks pal. :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

some important terminology

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 27, 2013 14:52

Blackenbergerbuns= left the buns too long on the grill
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 28, 2013 02:07

A friend came by this afternoon with a bag of scotch bonnets and in exchange I gave him enough buns for supper so tomorrow I make a new batch of potato bread. Can't quit with one batch it may have been a fluke.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 28, 2013 22:02

I made this recipe again today and made these changes:
Last night I mixed 4 ounces of whole wheat flour with four ounces of water and a pinch of yeast and allowed it to ferment until this morning. This morning I added 8 ounces of milk and four ounces of water to the whole wheat mix from last night. That is 16 ounces of liquid. I mixed 2 ounces of potato flakes with 12 ounces of all purpose flour and mixed in the liquid and whole wheat flour, the salt and the fat. It is still a very wet dough and it takes some finesse to handle it. The results are very pleasing but I will start reducing the liquid percentage and try to get it more user friendly.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 01:08

Yeah, but what are you going to do with the Scotch Bonnets? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D