Ross's Maryland Bakery

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 08, 2014 03:04

Krakowska wrote:
8 oz strong white flour
Ray, is this high gluten flour?
I was planning on just using King Arthur bread flour, that'll do.

Eagerly awaiting the results from Obi Wan Kanobi, I won't even start the rye bread quest for at least a couple of days. I'll be making another batch of buns/rolls in the morning, they're the staple of my bread-making efforts. I want perfection there before I go onto something else. I feel a bread making recipe is no different than one for sausage, once you've achieve what you want in the results, you want to be sure it's repeatable every time. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Rye bread efforts

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 08, 2014 04:02

First the method. make a thin white sauce with 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoon of flour and 2 cups of milk. Dilute that with one cup of water. Don't ask why that's just the way I did it for my little batches. The first batch I made was too gummy with the straight white sauce. .This has all been in little batches but it makes a nice small loaf.
So yesterday I measured out 4.5 ounces of white sauce into one bowl and 4.5 ounces of plain water into a second and 1.5 ounces of rye flour into each. Today I added 4.5 ounces of AP flour to each bowl and a half teaspoon each of yeast and salt and mixed them with a spoon. The bowl with the white sauce was too dry so I added a tablespoon of water. (That made 5 ounces of liquid in that bowl.) At that point I had to drive Nancy to the ophthalmologist and the just barely mixed dough sat covered for almost 2 hours. I kneaded it when I got home and left it to rise. I shaped it and baked it at 375°F for 30 minutes with these results. The slice with the better shape is also the one with the white sauce and the extra water. The flour in each was as close to the same as I could make them.
ImageImage Image
Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Jan 09, 2014 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53

They are incredible... not inedible... incredible! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 08, 2014 16:17

Next time I will try with 33% rye flour.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:03

Looks great Ross! How was the crumb and the moist/dry factor? Do you think placing the dough in a bread pan would have a different effect? Just thinking that might make for more of a "sandwich-friendly" loaf. I'm out of bread so I'll be baking something today, I have to let all this soak in, and get more rye flour from the Way. I too had a trip to the ophthalmologist yesterday for my F-I-L who no longer drives, nice three-hour session. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:07

This thread isn't fitting on to the screen of my monitor yet all the others seem to be working normally, must be something in the site. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:07

I have some small pans and will try a batch that way.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:24

I am not sure why this post got so wide. Maybe I didn't space the pictures enough when I pasted the link. Maybe Our Chuck wagon master can fix it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 08, 2014 19:42

sawhorseray wrote:
ssorllih wrote:Rye flour soaks up more water than all purpose white flour so you may find the need to compensate for that.
In the past I made some loafs of rye in the bread machine that were acceptable at best, suffered from the same "heavy & dense" issue, also very dry

You may want to look into a high gluten flour for a moister rye.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jan 08, 2014 19:54

Bob K wrote:
sawhorseray wrote:
ssorllih wrote:Rye flour soaks up more water than all purpose white flour so you may find the need to compensate for that.
In the past I made some loafs of rye in the bread machine that were acceptable at best, suffered from the same "heavy & dense" issue, also very dry

You may want to look into a high gluten flour for a moister rye.

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jan 08, 2014 20:00

Geez, I've got AP flour, bread flour, rye flour, and now some semolina flour for making pasta. This is getting to be the gift that just keeps on giving. Thanks, I'll check it out at the store. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 09, 2014 00:14

BobK, We would be pleased with some details as to why this would be an improvement.;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jan 09, 2014 00:53

It (Rye) contains less gluten (protein) than all-purpose or whole-wheat flour. For that reason, it won't produce a well-risen loaf of bread without the addition of some higher-protein flour. Rye flour is also heavier and darker in color than most other flours, which in turn produces dense loaves. There are several different types of rye flour, the most common of which is medium rye flour.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 09, 2014 01:46

King Arthur bread flour is the highest protein flour you can buy off the shelf at the supermarket. I don't have any problem getting the rise I want as long as the levels of hydration are adequate.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:02

What can I say Ross...there are trade offs to a lot of ingredients. If you are happy with the results, stick with it.

Just trying to share what I have found to produce the best results.