Ross's Maryland Bakery

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 18, 2013 01:48

Russ I haven't pursued the gluten free efforts. I do know that with cornbread if the cornmeal content gets above about 50% it wants to crumble easily so I add an extra egg. Buckwheat flour is gluten free and my sister got along well with buckwheat pancakes the other day. maybe buckwheat and cornmeal?
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

So why is this posting on this forum?

Post by markjass » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:14

I started some bread off yesterday. I made a sponge with stone ground white flour (150g), rye flour (150g) and barley flour (75g). The barley flour gives the bread a sweetness (If you dry roast it for a couple of mins it gives the bread a bit of a malted taste(, yeast (2.5g) and water (300g). By mid morning today I had a grey fermenting mass. Try as I might I do not like sour dough bread. However this bread has acidity a magic taste and a fantastic texture. Making a sponge allows the gluten strands to develop as well as the flavour. For a finer grain I would have added low fat milk or milk powder.

To make the dough I used 225g of stone ground white flour and 150g of rye flour, 250g of water, 10g of salt and a further 2.5g of yeast (this gives it a kick up the backside. Hand needing this bread is a mission it is like liquid concrete. It sticks and at first it feels like you are on a hiding to nothing. After a while it changes into lovely dough. You need this dough to be sloppy otherwise the bread ends like a low windowless building or a brick. I did add a bit more flour while I kneaded the bread then I felt that I had chickened out and added more water. I do have a dough mixer. This does a wonderful job, but I was up for a challenge.

So why is this posting on this forum? Well I added a large hunk, did not weigh it, may be about 150-200g of cubed (5 mm) home cured bacon and a large red onion which was cubed about the same size. I fried the bacon and onion in 30g of olive oil until it was soft. This mixture was added mid way through the knead. The first rise took off like a rocket and only needed an hour. After shaping the bread I placed it in a tin (I wanted it squarish for toast). It was ready for the oven about an hour and a quarter later. The time varies depending on the temperature and amount of water in the dough. I use a finger prod, the spring back gives a good idea as to if it is ready; yep it is that scientific. What you want is for the bread to have almost fully risen. If you leave it to long the loaf collapses. If you go to soon the crust will separate from the loaf. In all honesty this won`t effect the taste. If the loaf collapses pull it out of the tin knead it again, reshape it and put it back into the tin.

I always heat my oven to 230 degrees C bake the bread for 10 mins then turn it down to 200 degrees. You will get people saying put a pan of water in the oven for the first 10 mins or spray the oven with water just before you put the loaf in the oven. This is supposed to produce steam wich will give you a crunchy crust. Commercial bread ovens are air tight and they inject steam to make crunchy crusts. I do not think domestic methods make a blind bit of difference.

I now fill my hand sprayer with 16% bleach and use it to clean my bench top prior to and after making sausages. I had a yarn with the infection control people at work and they said that diluted bleach should be only kept for 24 hrs before being used.
I then baked it for another 25 mins. I go by colour and as for tapping the loaf. What does hollow sound like, I don`t know and I have been making my own bread for over 15 years. It is like smoking sausages. Get to know your oven/smoker.

While the loaf was cooling I loaded up a trailer with garden trimmings (2 solid days wort of gardening) and took it down the the composting centre. I got home and rather than cheese and ham (home cured) sandwiches I went with a toasted version with tomatoes (bought as it is early spring). I know this was sacrilege, but I needed it.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 19, 2013 14:55

That is a wonderful idea!! we add raisins to a loaf to make raisin bread and roll it out and sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar and roll it back into a loaf so adding bacon and onions makes good logic. That is a good plan.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Breakfast rolls

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 21, 2013 05:05

mix a dinner roll dough.(I think that there is one here) and refrigerate it for 24 hours then it can be rolled out very thin like this ;Image Then I sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar: Image And rolled it up: Image and cut it into pieces:Image: and baked it:Image http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... a3fce6.jpg
Ross- tightwad home cook
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 06:28

Yum - those look good. Thanks for the pictures. Grated cheese, very thinly sliced ham, a mix of oil and sundried tomatoes and onions, pine nuts and many other ingredents go well in bread rolls. You have to be careful how much liquid your filling has otherwise it can make the rolling up process a nightmare.

Markjass
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 22, 2013 13:22

Adding a bit of flour to any wet filling will be a great help in stabilizing it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:32

Good idea, Ross- - including dental floss with your cooked items. ...saves time. ...makes satisfaction of personal needs socially acceptable. ...fewer complaints and excuses from guests at parties.
:mrgreen:
Just kidding. Great way to cut a cylinder of dough.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 22, 2013 17:34

Fiber reinforced bread so that your sandwich doesn't tend to fall apart. ;) :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Sep 22, 2013 19:55

That's a lot of starch and sugar. Will there be enough room left for the bacon and eggs? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 22, 2013 21:33

sawhorseray wrote:That's a lot of starch and sugar. Will there be enough room left for the bacon and eggs? RAY
They ain't very big. :lol:
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Time to bring this up to date

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 04, 2013 17:51

Last night I mixed 8 ounces of wheat flour with 8 ounces of water and a pinch of yeast and put a plate on the bowl for a cover and left it out to ferment. This morning I added two eggs, a cup of milk and water to make a pint total. That combined with the 8 ounces already in the mix gave me 24 ounces of water and 8 ounces of flour so I added 1¾ pounds of white flour .8 ounces of salt and 2 ounces of fat and a teaspoon of yeast. .
This is a copy and paste from another site:

I think that something many people new to making bread don't fully understand is that the small amount of yeast that we add at mixing is only "seed" that grows and multiplies within the dough. The yeast plants grow quite quickly and in their growth they digest the starches and sugars and release carbon dioxide. This creates the bubbles in the dough. A single teaspoonful is plenty of yeast if we are willing to allow the extra time for growth.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 04, 2013 18:29

Thanks Ross, I'd been wondering why so many recipes with the same amount of flour called for so many different amounts of yeast. Last week I made some rolls and realized during the process that my bottle of active yeast had been used and was gone. In the pantry I found one of those packets of 'Fleischmann's RapidRise Highly Active Yeast" so I used that. I was quite happy with the way the batch turned out even tho I don't know the first thing about the differences in types of yeast. I have two of those packets left and will start making more rolls in a little bit, I'll post the recipe and results later. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 04, 2013 18:53

Ray, when you can get to one of the warehouse stores and buy a couple of pounds you will be good for the next five years. When you open a bag place it in a freezer weight zipper bag in the freezer and it will stay good for a couple of years.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 04, 2013 20:27

I meant to get that when I went to Costco for booze a couple of weeks back and forgot. Yesterday I picked up a four ounce bottle of yeast at the Way so I'm good to go for awhile. I just finished a late bacon and eggs brekky, with no toast and jam. It just ain't the same, I'll be doing some baking this afternoon. I love that summer is over, time to smoke, bake, stuff, and be merry! RAY
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 11, 2013 06:48

Another of the many great aspects of being on this site is all I've learned from Ross about baking bread, in my case about making rolls for burgers and sausage. I no longer make huge batches that might have a tendency to get a bit stale before use, I'm into pretty much eating fresh baked rolls every time.

About a cup and a quarter of flour with the required ingredients and a little time gives me two perfect fresh rolls.

No pic of the first one, that got gobbled down in the form of a fried chicken thigh and avocado sanny, #2 made a great burger after being toasted

Half pound hipshot burger with avocado, maters, red onion , sons o' bees bacon, Colby jack cheese, and left over shrooms and onions from last nights steak.

Not for the weak of heart, not at all. RAY