Ross's Maryland Bakery

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Mar 03, 2014 16:14

After it had cooled and we had eaten half of it fresh from the oven I was trimming the edges to make it neat before I put it away and it was almost as good cold as it was hot.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

The Starter Seems Started

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 07, 2014 03:48

After equal amounts of rye flour and water sitting for two days I'm ready to replenish more with a couple of cups of each. The stuff looks all frothy and I'm thinking it'll work OK in a batch of rye bread. I don't want to bake a brick, while at the same time I don't have the clear #1 flour recommended using Bob K's recipe, which I personally thought to be the best looking loaf of rye I'd ever seen. I do have this recipe, tho it make no mention of starter:

8 oz rye flour
8 oz strong white flour
4¾ fl oz lukewarm water
4¾ fl oz lukewarm milk
2 tsp dried yeast
1½ tsp salt
1½ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
1 tsp honey
Instructions
Dissolve the honey in the milk. Add the dried yeast, mix and leave for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.
Mix the flours, salt and caraway seeds in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast/milk and the water. Mix to a smooth dough.
Knead the dough firmly on a floured surface for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Shape the dough into a ball, place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for the dough to double in size. This could take 2-3 hours.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, knock it back and knead for a further 2 minutes.
Shape the dough into an oval loaf and place on a lightly-greased baking sheet.
Cover with oiled film or place in a large plastic bag and leave in a warm place for the loaf to double in size. This could take around 2 hours.
Dust the loaf lightly with flour and make two long slashes in the top of the loaf about 3 cm (1″) apart.
Bake at 430°F conventional oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Place on a wire rack to cool.

I do have 20lbs. of pork loin brining as of today for Canadian bacon, and the St. Patty's sales are here in a few days, so I be needin' some rye bread to make sandwich dreams come true. All input will be appreciated, evaluated, and instituted accordingly. RAY

PS: Thanks to redzed (Chris) for the heads-up about pork loin at Costco. $2.39lb is about as good as it's going to get, thanks again Chris. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 05:35

Ray, this recipe looks terrific. Are you going to post a photo or two of the result? I'd sure like to see how the loaf turns out. What will you call it?
Hey, I'm reloadin' for St. Patrick's too. I've got a brisket that had my name on it. Hmmm... I think I'll have little green cowboys serve it up on Saint Paddy's Day. I'll make little branding irons and burn in the WD brand. :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Mar 07, 2014 13:07

Ray-

Bread or better yet high-gluten flour will work with the recipe I posted.

First clear (around 15-16%) gluten was traditionally used.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Mar 07, 2014 14:41

Let Us know how You made out with the rye bread Ray, Very much interested. Thanks :cool: Fred
Keep them safe until they all come home.
jscarbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jscarbo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 15:01

I have a multi-grain high fiber bread I make frequently which includes rye flour. If anyone's interested in trying it, it's one of my family's favorites.

Multi-Grain High-Fiber Bread

1 cup milk
1 cup water

¼ cup honey
¼ cup molasses or dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup quick oats
¼ cup dietary fiber/bran powder (oat bran, wheat bran, flax seed meal, etc.)
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter

½ cup warm water
1 ½ Tbsp dry yeast

2 ½ to 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups rye flour

Place 1 cup water and milk in a sauce pan and bring to boiling point. Remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm. Add next 7 ingredients and stir until well-mixed. In warmed mixer bowl, place ½ cup lukewarm water and yeast. Stir and let sit 5 minutes. Add the rest of the lukewarm liquid mix.

Reserving 1 cup all-purpose flour, mix remaining flours together and add to mixer bowl with yeast and liquids. Mix 1 minute on speed 2. Stop, scrape bowl in necessary and let sit for a couple of minutes. Resume mixing at speed 2. Kneed 2 minutes, adding reserved flour ½ cup at a time until desired consistency is reached and dough is well-kneaded, about 2 minutes longer. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place about an hour, until doubled in bulk.

Turn out onto a work surface, punch down, then divide and shape into two loaves. Place into greased loaf pans or baking sheet. Re-cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45-60 minutes.

Bake at 375F (190C) for 35 to 45 minutes. If necessary, cover top loosely with foil for the last 10- 15 minutes to prevent over-browning.

Remove from oven, test for doneness, then immediately turn out onto cooling racks.
jscarbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jscarbo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 16:08

I also make several different rye breads. For a light sandwich rye, also great for dinner rolls and hot dog/hamburger buns, this is my favorite. It's a much more advanced recipe than my multi-grain bread but is well worth the effort to master.

Sandwich Rye Bread (makes 2 loaves)

2 cups rye flour
4 to 5 cups all purpose or bread flour, divided. Reserve 1 1/2 cups to add in 1/2 cup increments as needed.
1 1/2 Tbsp active dry yeast
3 to 4 Tbsp rye bread improver (I use King Arthur)
1/4 cup buttermilk powder (available from King Arthur or in many supermarkets)
2 to 3 Tbsp caraway seeds
3 Tbsp molasses or dark brown suger
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 to 2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups water

Egg Wash, optional:
1 egg
1 Tbsp water

In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, mix together all dry ingredients except the salt and the reserved 1/1/2 cups all purpose flour. Add salt and mix in. Note: the salt is added last to minimize direct contact with the yeast, which it can kill.

In a mixing cup or small bowl, whisk together the water, molasses and butter. Still using the paddle attachment on speed one, pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Change to the bread hook and continue blending on speed one until he dough begins to come together. It should be moist and sticky. Continue on speed one and begin adding reserved flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough comes fully together and clears the sides of the mixing bowl. Increase to speed two and knead for 8 minutes. Note: the dough should clear the sides but stick to the bottom of the bowl. Scrape it up with a rubber spatula every couple of minutes. If necessary, you can add a little more flour, a small handful at a time, until the dough is manageable but be careful not to add too much flour or knead it too long. It will be stickier and a little harder to work with than regular bread dough but should be manageable.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and, with floured hands, knead lightly a few times then form it into a ball. Place it into a large bowl sprayed lightly with cooking oil, turn it once to coat the top or spritz the top lightly with cooking oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hrs, depending on room temperature.

Gently punch down the dough to deflate it, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, fold a few times, then let it rest about 5 minutes. Divide and shape the dough. Place into bread pans if making loaf bread or a baking sheet if you're making rolls. Lightly spritz the tops with oil, cover with plastic and allow to rise until doubled in size, about an hour. Meanwhile, place the your oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 400F. Note: It's important to give your oven a long preheat before baking, particularly if using a baking stone.

Whisk together an egg wash, if desired, and brush the tops. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate the loaves front to back and side to side, and continue baking an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Internal temperature should read 190F with an instant read thermometer. When done, remove from oven and immediately turn out onto cooling racks.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 07, 2014 16:46

Thanks for the input guys! I just doubled up my starter after letting it sit for 48 hours, another 48 and it'll be ready to go. I'm going to try Bob K's recipe using King Arthur bread flour and rye, I thought the loaf he posted looked great. I'm hoping to end up with a loaf of bread instead of a brick of bread. I'll report the outcome. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
jscarbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jscarbo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 17:50

Ray, since you're going to be using King Arthur flours anyway, you might see if you can get your hands on their rye bread improver. I think it really helps bring out the rye flavor: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/it ... over-16-oz

However, I don't know how well it works with sourdough rye.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Mar 07, 2014 18:43

I made my starter from the instructions on this video, I'd never heard of starter before.

http://www.thebreadkitchen.com/recipes/ ... ad-recipe/

My starter should be good to go Sunday morning, so I'm just going to follow the measurements Bob K posted on page 15 of this thread, only using KA bread flour instead of clear. I don't want a loaf that looks as dense as some of the ones calling for all rye flour. I just picked up a half dozen bags of King Arthur flour that was on sale for $3.59 ea., so I've got plenty of time and fuel to get this down. Hell, if they come out like bricks I'll just toss them and bake a batch of burger buns with the method I picked up from Ross, perfect every time. Starting to think about apple pie too! That dammed stand mixer I got for Xmas has put a extra ten pounds on me already, might have to go back to just sausage and veggies for a month or so. RAY
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 00:46

Hey, hey, jscarbo(hydrate) :lol:
Thanks for sharing the recipes. I'm trying the first one tonight. I'll post them in the MRI (Member's Recipe Index) in the second section (non-meat). Thanks for sharing!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jscarbo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jscarbo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:41

Thanks, Chuckwagon. I hope you enjoy my breads. The multi-grain bread is particularly good for toast. I've got a few other recipes to share and will post in the member recipe section.

Naturally, I'm a bit prejudiced towards my own cooking and think that, in particular, my barbecue rubs, mops, sauces and side dishes are among the best of traditional Carolina/Georgia-style recipes.

Our barbecue is different from Texas, Memphis, Kansas City and other regional styles. We mostly smoke pork shoulder and whole hog , full-cut spareribs and sometimes chicken. We use a lot of the leftovers to make one of my favorites, Brunswick stew.

I used to travel the back roads of the region searching out the best small bbq joints and once thought about publishing a guidebook to help others find them but never got around to doing it.

Jim S.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Mar 08, 2014 15:39

JSCarbo, I like the sandwich rye recipe and will make it when next I want rye bread. Thanks for posting it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Mar 09, 2014 00:23

I'd like to try both JSCarbo's recipes but I'll have to wait for another time because I'm missing so many of the ingredients. Right now I've got a 2/3 sized batch of Bob K's rye bread recipe posted on page 15 rising, tho I don't have a cast iron skillet or cornstarch on hand so I won't be following that recipe as well as I'd like to. Might make a loaf, might form the dough into sausage rolls, just don't know yet. Next I'll try the rye bread recipe I posted at the top of this page, maybe boil the water called for and scald the flour, see what that does. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 09, 2014 05:29

Ray, you don't need cast iron any pan of the same dimension will keep the shape for you. Baking bread in jello molds can be fun.
Ross- tightwad home cook