Ross's Maryland Bakery

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed May 07, 2014 16:44

Was at the Restaurant Depot store in Largo Florida a few weeks ago and saw this broken bag of white rye flour sitting for sale. Have not gotten into making rye bread yet but never knew they had this product in the store. Originally 20 bucks for a 50 lb. bag. That is A LOT of flour but what do you rye bread makers think? Need some advice on whether this is a deal and can it be stored for a couple of years. I do buy high gluten 50 lb bags, put them in containers and freeze for a couple of weeks. This seems to eliminate the beetles and worms when stored for any number of months. Is this brand of flour decent? Thanks Guys, Fred :cool:

Last edited by Krakowska on Wed May 07, 2014 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Keep them safe until they all come home.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed May 07, 2014 17:03

Fred-

That is oneheckofa deal!!! That is the type used (White Rye) for NY Jewish deli rye.

Only thing is you would have to make a hell of a lot of rye to ever use it all

I buy High gluten (Honeyville brand ) in 50lb bags also (make a lot of Pizza) I vac seal it in 4-5 lb bags and have never had a problem with bugs or freshness. 50 lbs lasts us around 6 months.

This will give you an Idea what (Bay State) white rye sells for in smaller quantities http://nybakers.com/index.php?main_page ... d5b75340b3 .
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sun Aug 03, 2014 15:15

Ross and other bakers - in the unlikely event you missed his Ted Talk on the art and craft of making bread by Peter Reinhart (Jan 2009) here is the link:
[URL=http://www.ted.com/playlists/55/talks_for_foodies[/URL]
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Aug 03, 2014 15:58

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 03, 2014 18:29

Thank you.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Boiling water and bread

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 16, 2014 03:43

I made a batch of bread today for dinner rolls. Nancy is recovering her sense of taste and wanted some soft bread.
So I weighed out a pound of flour and added 1.5% salt and blended that. Next I added 15% boiling water. (My scale will let me weigh the flour and mark that as 100% and then all of my additions are as percentages.) I added 20% milk and 3% egg(1 Egg) and water to make 75% total hydration.
The dough is quite wet. I spread it and buttered and folded it about 5 times to develop the layers.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 05:39

Ross, those things look incredible! I noticed there is no sugar in the recipe. I thought dinner rolls HAD to have a touch of sugar. Not so?
Also, have you made potato rolls lately? Got a recipe?
For the initiated on WD, Ross makes the best hot dog buns this side of Saturn! He worked in a bakery long ago. If anyone is looking for a great bun for Hipshot Hamburgers, just thumb back a few pages. Be sure to check out the photos by Sawhorse Ray too!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 16, 2014 15:07

You will be much too busy spreading butter on these hot rolls to notice that they have no sugar.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Aug 16, 2014 17:44

Those rolls look wonderful Ross, really light and soft, almost like a croissant. I'm still pounding out the scalded flour rolls with 69% hydration that have become a staple of our diet. I'd like to be able to shape them into something more suitable for sausage but I just don't seem to have the knack to pull that off. Very happy to hear Nancy is feeling better by the day. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 16, 2014 20:14

Ray I know that you can make pizza crust. Just lay out the dough as you would for a pizza crust but not so thin close to 1/4 inch and cut it into triangles about 3or4 by 6or8 and roll them up from the wide end with the long sides spiraling in from each end of the roll. Pinch the point to the roll.
Edit to add: I left out an important step. I chill the dough for 2 or 3 hours. Then when I first pat the dough out I spread butter on half and fold it and butter and fold then flatten and stretch and butter and fold again. Then I roll it out a quarter inch thick . That is how I get all of the layers.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Aug 17, 2014 19:58

I can see where that works easy enough for the dinners rolls Ross, they look great. My problem lies in trying to form French rolls or hotdog buns. I've seen the beautiful work that you, and also Idakraut, manage to pull off in forming dough for those. My efforts have left quite a bit to be desired by the time they come out of the oven, tho I'll keep trying. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 17, 2014 22:18

Ray, cut the sheet of dough into a six inch wide strip and start rolling it up when it is about as thick as your thumb cut it loose and roll another.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Breakfast pancake

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 28, 2014 14:58

It is always wonderful when you can combine several passions into a single purpose.
This is cured and smoked boneless chicken thigh. And a 1 part rye flour 2 parts all purpose white flour pancake batter.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:21

Looks good Ross.
Godspeed!

Bob
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Sep 01, 2014 15:51

That's a interesting combination Ross, and looks like it would make a fine breakfast. There's always been something about a chicken and eggs brekky that just doesn't work for me, tho a smoked chicken pancake with some single-malt maple syrup sounds quite appetizing. I've spent the last couple of weeks homing in on breakfast burritos; fried taters, Canadian bacon, Son's of Bees bacon, cheddar cheese and eggs, medium hot salsa on a huge flour tortilla. Have to go on a bit of a diet soon before my appointment with the hip-cutter, getting too dammed fat. RAY