Ross's Maryland Bakery

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 29, 2013 01:14

Chuckwagon wrote:Yeah, but what are you going to do with the Scotch Bonnets? :roll:
Danged if I know yet! Serrano's are the upper limit of the scoville scale for me.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

friday night supper

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 31, 2013 15:49

Last night I measured out a cup of flour, a teaspoon of salt and a quarter cup of lard and made a short paste pie crust. I lined two small pie pans and covered the bottoms of each with chopped onions then added 3 0unces of sliced raw salmon, some chopped tarragon, a gently fried small slice of bacon cut into small pieces, and an ounce of cheddar cheese cut into narrow strips. Then I beat two eggs with a teaspoon of cornstarch, salt and pepper and a cup of milk and poured this mix into the pies and put them into a 450 degree preheated oven and turned the temperature down to 360° F and baked them for 40 minutes until a knife inserted in the middle came out clean. Nancy said that it was a good Friday night meal. We had a sauvignon blanc to enjoy with it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Aug 31, 2013 19:26

Years ago, there was an admonishment that "real men don't eat quiche."

Fortunately, us old guys never was good at no spellin' (grammar neither), so we didn't know what quiche was. Instead, we married gals who had traveled, loved quiche, and knew how to fix it and what to put in it.

Today, thankfully, there are Nancies (and Betsies)out there who take care of Ross and me, and salmon is available nationwide, and...

yum!

Draw the curtains, fire up the oven for quiche, open a bottle of sauvignon blanc, and don't tell the neighbors. It's more than good eatin', it's good livin'.
:mrgreen:

P.S. Try a good Swiss Gruyere or Emmentaler in place of the cheddar. C'est magnifique!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 31, 2013 20:19

For years I thought that they were savory custard pies. They can be made in a roasting pan without the crust to feed a crowd. Make a sweet one with stale bread and it is a bread pudding.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Just some very interesting reading

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 02, 2013 14:30

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodbreads.html I found this yesterday and spent a couple of hours reading.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Re: Just some very interesting reading

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 02, 2013 15:10

ssorllih wrote:http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodbreads.html I found this yesterday and spent a couple of hours reading.
Wow! Thats is an excellent reference and overview. What was life like before Al Gore invented the internet?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Sep 02, 2013 22:42

Made a very basic 25 % whole wheat bread today just because we needed bread. Image You can see in the texture of the cut end how I rolled the dough into a loaf shape,
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Potato bread sandwich rolls

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 04, 2013 02:26

I made batch number three today of this recipe and it doubles easily and well and reliably. We finished the last batch this noon with pork BBQ and Nancy told me that we should keep them on hand.
Note: for this batch I reduced the liquid to 83% of the total weight of the dry flour and potato.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

nice

Post by huckelberry » Thu Sep 05, 2013 21:47

wow! Ross that looks awesome.
I wish I lived closer. I would love to be an official taste tester.
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Leftover duck cassarole.

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 08, 2013 01:47

On Monday I roasted a duck and we dined on it for two days then I picked off the remaining meat and boiled the bones for stock. Tonight I made biscuits with the dripping and gravy with some of the fat and the stock and assembled a casserole.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 07:35

Wow, I'm going to pick up Huckleberry and we'll be over late tonight to break into your refrigerator and lap up leftovers! :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Back slopping

Post by ssorllih » Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:31

On another forum(yeah I'm fickle) we were discussing the merits of the wooden bread troughs. I suggest that they were dedicated for only that use and bread was made everyday. I decided to test my theory and make a start by mixing some flour and water and a pinch of yeast in a bowl and covering it for 24 hours. I did that and today added more flour and water and a bit of salt and made bread. I dumped the dough onto the table and measured some water into the bowl and washed the dough residue down and mixed it with the water. I then added a measure of flour and blended the water and flour but didn't add any yeast. Tonight after several hours I seem to have a good start for tomorrow's bread. More to come.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ajwillsnet
User
User

hydrating flour

Post by ajwillsnet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 01:26

Hi Ross: When you say you are adding 83% water based on the total weight of the dry ingredient are you saying that for 16 ozs of dry ingredients you are adding 13.28 ozs of water?

Bert
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 12, 2013 03:08

Yes and it makes a very sloppy dough. For anyone starting this venture I recommend staying below 70%. 66% is very manageable.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Sep 18, 2013 01:40

Hay, Ross! ...got a good recipe for gluten-free corn bread? We've been using the "Bob's Red Mill" brand of mix with rice or almond milk and bacon grease. ...add jalapeños, of course, and some salt. ...tend to lump the sugary cornbread that you folks on the "far east" coast seem to like into the "dessert" category.

Whataya got?
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.