Ross's Maryland Bakery

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 09, 2013 03:45

Chuckwagon wrote:It looks great Ross! Any special spices in it?
Just a little Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. I tend to keep the seasonings simple.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Nov 10, 2013 17:56

2 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. veg oil
2 tsp dry active yeast
1 cup warm water

Having everything pre-measured and ready on the counter the night before I was up at 5:10 this morning to make a few rolls for brekky

I started out by warming the cup of water in the micro to 110°, adding the yeast, and then a half cup of the flour stirred in. Waited for ten minutes for the mix to jell a bit.

Added the remaining two cups of flour and kneaded for about 6-7 minutes, covered and let rise for 90 minutes.

Formed four nice rolls and let them sit for 40 minutes for the second rise, a nice brushing of melted butter right before going into a 375° oven for 18 minutes

By the time my wife got up at 8:20 the rolls had just come out of the oven and the entire house smelled wonderful.

Soon I'll begin to assemble a couple of Canadian bacon-cheddar-and onion omletes with some country fried taters and honey-maple bacon on the side, toasted fresh rolls with butter and strawberry jam. I love Sundays during football season! Don't you? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Nov 10, 2013 19:13

When old Mother Hubbard went to the cupboard there was no onion to be found, a quick change of menu was in order. Now I'm completely out of Canadian bacon and will be able to do nothing to rectify the situation due to having 32 pounds of wild and domestic pig meat thawing in my fridge for sausage. It's always something. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 10, 2013 20:25

Ray, You have learned that recipe very well. That is fine looking work. Have you noticed that it saves a bunch of money?
I have just this week finished a casing full of bacon sausage that I made sometime back. I hand cut a couple of pounds of fatty butt into half inch dice and then mixed my standard bacon cure into it, stuffed it into 60 mm casing cause that's what I had and smoked it done. It gave me a reasonable approximation of slab bacon with a nice mix of fat and lean.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Nov 10, 2013 23:53

It does save a ton of money Ross, and having fresh bread is just little awhile away. Better bread, better price, no gas spent going to the store. They also keep well now that I cling-wrap them and put the rolls in a freeze bag. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 03, 2013 03:30

Baking powder biscuits and left over turkey and you can't go wrong with a casserole. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

It has been two weeks

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 18, 2013 03:47

I have a new recipe and method. I came by this in a very round about way and have been playing with it for nearly a month. For fifty years I have been making bread and wondering how the commercial bakers achieve a soft crust and crumb. milk and eggs help to make a rich bread but it is still rather tough and doesn't work well for burger and sausage buns. About a month ago I got wind of a method used in Japan called Hokkaido bread where in they cooked some flour with some water and added the result to the bread. The I learned of the Chinese cooking flour and milk and adding that. People that tried is were very impressed. So accordingly I whisked 2 tablespoons of flour into a cup of milk and cooked it until it thickened and added 4 ounces of water and made bread with a pound of flour. It was good bread with a soft crust and a soft crumb. Next I made a white sauce with 3 tablespoons of butter and of flour and a cup of milk and cooled it with 4 ounces of water and made bread with a pound of flour. The results were just as fine and I shared half of the batch with a friend and asked that she critique it. She declared that it was a pleasing bread to tear chunks from for eating. We discussed the method and she told of hearing of a method that called for boiling water added directly to the total flour at the start. So today I tried this . I weighed out a pound of flour and poured in 4 ounces of boiling water and allowed it to cool without mixing it in, then I added 8 ounces of milk plus the yeast, 2 tablespoons of lard and a half tablespoon of salt. That also made good bread with a soft crumb and crust. I have learned that cooking the flour denatures the gluten and releases the dextrins in the endosperm of the flour and that this is the mechanism that softens the crust and crumb. Cooking too much flour by using too much hot water will make the bread gummy. I will explore the lower limits of effectiveness but this ratio seems to be very good.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Dec 18, 2013 15:13

Whenever we are in Europe, we always enjoy the breads. Part... no, much of their appeal is the crust. (Baguette, for example. Yum.)

I'm not much of a baker, and I admit that the bread consumers of America seem to prefer a softer crust, and your bread justifiably gets rave reviews, but I gotta ask- - is your innovation moving the crust in the wrong direction? (Inquiring minds... :lol: )
Duk
:mrgreen:
(rhymes with yuk)
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 18, 2013 15:42

I prefer a good substantial crust on a rustic bread. The typical homemade bread is wonderful for everything but sandwich buns because it is rather tough and because it tends to break. This method I think will answer the search for a better more squishy burger and sausage bun. Just as we keep a collection of sausage recipes a good collection of bread recipes can be useful.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Dec 19, 2013 06:42

Here's some baguettes for you Duk!

Care for some homemade cheese and smoked meats with that?

Crusty bagels more to your taste?

No on goes hungry at my place!
Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:24

Hi Ursula,
Next time I fly into Melbourne I'm inviting myself for lunch. After looking at your photo's I am feeling hunger pains.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:28

ursula wrote:Here's some baguettes for you Duk!
:drool-smiley: :smile: :stomach-rumble-smiley: :o :licking-lips-smiley:
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 19, 2013 15:36

Ursula Darling, you have been keeping secrets. Those are all wonderful!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 13:12

Ross, ol' bud, you wrote
I have learned that cooking the flour denatures the gluten and releases the dextrins in the endosperm of the flour and that this is the mechanism that softens the crust and crumb. Cooking too much flour by using too much hot water will make the bread gummy. I will explore the lower limits of effectiveness but this ratio seems to be very good.
That's terrific. I've always made my own bread and I'm going to give this trick a lot of attention. Thanks for sharing the information. :wink: Hey, how do we get to Ursula's house? :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 22, 2013 22:07

I made another batch of dough for pinwheels and used only 2 ounces of boiling water for a pound of flour and it made a very soft crust, tender crumb bread. Nancy said that she thinks that she prefers the stronger crust and crumb. This will have its place but not for every day bread.
Ross- tightwad home cook