Ross's Maryland Bakery

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:07

Thought this might be of interest, a little "Heavy" but sure enlightened me.
:cool:
http://media.wiley.com/product_data/exc ... 405469.pdf
Keep them safe until they all come home.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Jan 09, 2014 02:12

This loaf is a little more complicated, requiring a rye starter, but man-o-man, you'll be hard pressed to find a tastier rye. My mom is from NY and she pronounced it spectacular.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/31106/ ... c-deli-rye

The formula spreadsheet is downloadable, so it's an easy recipe to scale. (The 2400g mix makes two good sized loaves.) Be sure to add the onions!

(If you don't have a rye starter on hand, here is an easy explanation of rye sourdough starter:
http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye- ... asy-steps/)
Rye starter is also a very good based for a pretty spectacular pumpernickel.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 09, 2014 15:25

I found http://www.thefreshloaf.com/ site to be for the more sophisticated and experienced baker, of which I am neither. For those novices like myself I found this site had instructional videos for every recipe:

http://www.thebreadkitchen.com/

The hostess speaks in easy-to-understand and impeccable English, and seems quite engaging and cheerful about what she's doing. Most importantly, accompanying every recipe is a detailed written list of ingredients and direction along with the video. I might give her Polish Rye Bread a try soon, and the recipe for Sesame Burger Buns is fairly appealing also. Back to the kitchen! RAY
Last edited by sawhorseray on Thu Jan 09, 2014 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 09, 2014 15:31

.[/quote]You may want to look into a high gluten flour for a moister rye.

[url=http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b51 ... 8b84a4.jpg]Image[/URL][/quote]

That is a fine looking loaf of rye bread Bob! Why not post the ingredients and baking directions? RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 09, 2014 18:15

Ray I made up a little batch of 38% rye flour bread and found that I needed to increase the liquid by about 15% over what would make a very slack white bread. Just saying to be looking for it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jan 09, 2014 18:20

That is a fine looking loaf of rye bread Bob! Why not post the ingredients and baking directions? RAY

Ray - I already did, its back on page 15. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... &start=210

Wow Lynn those are some nice looking loaves!!!
and yes the sourdough starter makes a big difference in the taste.

I am going to try adding onions the next time!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:00

Ross, you wrote:
I am not sure why this post got so wide. Maybe I didn't space the pictures enough when I pasted the link. Maybe Our Chuck wagon master can fix it.
That's it. I've gone back to try to separate them but I'm afraid I might lose one in an attempt to space it. Better to re-post.
The computer keeps it in time sequence automatically but we can always have you copy the new post's corrected format (taken from the box) and re-post it. I would have to have you send it to me by PM exactly as you want it. Or, we can just live with it. :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

High, wide and handsome.

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:24

I am making a new batch to bake in a small pan and will narrow it down when I post new pictures.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 20:27

High, wide and handsome.
Wheee ooo! Oh boy! :roll: Sort of like my award-winning mustache eh? :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Jan 09, 2014 21:22

Thanks for your kind words, Bob.

I used a cooked corn starch/water glaze immediately after the loaves came out of the oven - it dries as the bread cools and makes the crust chewy and shiny. As for the onions, I cook them to golden brown, put them in the cuisinart to make a paste, then add to the dough prior to a long knead.

And Ray? I though the same thing about the Fresh Loaf recipes until I made 'em once or five times. Then it all made sense and the loaves emerging from the oven were the kind I had always dreamed of baking. You're well on your way to being experienced - and doing a fine job of it, too!

Lynn
Stanislaw Lec
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 09, 2014 22:14

Thanks Lynn, I think your rye loaves look wonderful. I now have my burger bun / sausage roll recipe due to Ross' guidance, the scaulded flour and percentages work perfect for me.

11 ounces sifted bread flour
2.7 oz boiled water to the flour
3 oz warm milk with 1 tsp dry yeast & 3/4 tsp salt dissolved in
1&1/2 tbsp. sugar
1&1/2 tbsp. melted butter

Everything dumped in the Kitchenaid and kneaded for about 8 minutes, nice smooth dough.

90 minute rise in warm place, perfect

Small batch of four burger buns, the crumb and crust I've been searching for

Using the percentages Ross led me to this recipe can be produced in any size and be repeatable everytime, it's perfect. Thank you Ross for all your help! Next, on to the rye, but not till after a double hip-shot cheeseburger with sauteed shrooms and avocado. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 09, 2014 23:02

Ray you certainly do nice work.!
Ross- tightwad home cook
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Thu Jan 09, 2014 23:30

Gorgeous Ray!

Lynn
Stanislaw Lec
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

A little Rye bread in a loaf pan

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jan 10, 2014 02:44

As I promised I made a small batch of rye bread and baked it in loaf pans.
My pet peeve is posts without recipes. So here it comes: Some of these numbers are derived by calculation because I am using from a previously made batch of white sauce.
With that said, The liquid for this was a dilute white sauce made with 3.5 ounces of milk and 3.5 ounces of water and a half tablespoon each of butter and flour. Into that cold white sauce I added 3 ounces of stone ground rye flour, stirred it in and let it sit for 24 hours. Next I stirred in a teaspoon of yeast and 5 ounces of all purpose white flour and a scant teaspoon of salt. When it was uniformly moist I left it for an hour. Then I kneaded it through just 20 folds. That means make a ball and flatten it fold it in half and flatten it again, fold it again. there is a pattern developing here ;-) .Put the ball in the bowl and grease it with a bit of fat and let it rise for quite a while. divide it and shape each half for a loaf.
Let those rise until they are fat.Image

And bake they at 375°F for 30 minutes.
then slice for quality control testing.
This bread has a nice rye taste with no added flavors and I would count it as a good basic recipe that with care could be flavored as one would desire. The crumb is strong enough to allow spreading rather cold butter but still tender to the bite.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 04:47

Awesome!