Ross's Maryland Bakery

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 08:50

My gosh Ray... What beautiful buns on yer' burger! :roll: Yep, indeedy! That's what I call a hipshot hamburger! That's incredible work Ray. Very nicely done ol' pard.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:31

That burger has to qualify as a square meal, it is as tall as it is wide. Fruit, veggie, protein, fat, carbohydrate and 100 % good taste.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Today I am preparing mince pie filling

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 23, 2013 18:26

There is a very good reason that it is called mince meat. Recipe: Selecting, Preparing and Canning Meat

Festive Mincemeat Pie Filling
● 2 cups finely chopped suet
● 4 lbs ground beef or (4 lbs ground venison and 1 lb sausage)
● 5 qts chopped apples
● 2 lbs dark seedless raisins
● 1 lb white raisins
● 2 qts apple cider
● 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
● 2 tsp ground nutmeg
● 5 cups sugar
● 2 tbsp salt

Yield: About 7 quarts

Please read Using Pressure Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Cook suet and meat in water to avoid browning. Peel, core, and quarter apples. Put meat, suet, and apples through food grinder using a medium blade. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, and simmer 1 hour or until slightly thickened. Stir often. Fill jars with mixture without delay, leaving 1-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1 or Table 2.

Link: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/mincemeat_filling.html
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 27, 2013 05:28

This is my favorite way to enjoy mince meat.Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 06:40

Don't stop now!
Don't stop now!
:razz:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 27, 2013 14:12

I have a portion scoop that will dip those little balls of filling. The crust circles are 2.5 inches. I bake them at 400° for 20 minutes. The crust recipe is flour by weight, in this case 21 ounces 1.5% salt, 7 ounces of lard 33% of the weight of the flour and 8 ounces of cold water about 38%. work the lard into the flour until all of the lumps are smaller than corn kernels, add the water and stir it until it comes together in a ball. Cover the bowl and refrigerate it for an hour or more. Then roll it thin on a floured table flipping it a few times to keep flour under it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 01:17

Hey, hey, chief! Those little things look great. What do you call them? Maryland Mincemeat? Have you got a photo of one cooked with a bite taken out of it? :roll:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 28, 2013 01:22

I haven't seen anyone put one down after the first bite. I made about 60 and they are all gone. More to come later.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Oct 31, 2013 20:17

I have to give some props to Ross. I made fresh rolls at the deer season cabin daily and the boys were more than just a little impressed, a huge hit! I did learn a new trick from one of my buds who said when his mom used to make bread she'd put the yeast, water, and a cup of flour into a bowl, mix it up a bit, then let it stand for 15 minutes to let the yeast become active. I did that and then added the remaining dry ingedients and flour, kneaded, waited, shaped, waited some more, and baked. For some reason my rolls seemed lighter and fluffier, must have been letting the yeast work a bit and become active before kneading. Anyway, that's how I'll be going about my bread baking from now on. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Today's bread start to finish

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:40

The recipe: 2 pounds of flour including 8 ounces of whole wheat. 23 ounces of liquid made with two eggs ,8 ounces of milk and the balance is water, one teaspoon of yeast, one tablespoon of salt and a tablespoon of fat to grease the bowl for the rise.Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image About a half hour between pictures. Ray as long as you will be the camp cook they will carry you in and out on their shoulders. They are going to call you "Da Man"!
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Nov 01, 2013 22:48

Even before sausage and bread-making, I was the camp cook. Those were the days of grilled fillet mignon or lamb chops, steamed artichokes or asparagus, a big pot of fettuccini alfredo. All it took was a grill over a open fire and a pot of boiling water on a camp stove. Now it's a 4-burner gas stove and oven and no more sleeping on the ground, too dammed hard to get stood up in the morning. Something about coming back from the morning hunt to a bloody Mary and whipping up eggs Benedict for us made everything in my world wonderful, even if we didn't see anything but the trees. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Nov 02, 2013 04:23

Ray roll the dough out thin and butter it , then fold it and butter It again and fold it then cut it into lumps and put it in a muffin tin.Image I wonder how it would be if it was buttered with a savory like hard cheese and herbs instead of plain butter.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 03, 2013 05:20

The versatility of a simple bread dough. Three products from one batch of dough. Image Image Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 04:28

Wow, I'm in lust! That last photo is out of this world! Yum. :wink:
kiwihunter
Beginner
Beginner

Post by kiwihunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 07:47

We call those pinwheels here do they have the same name in the states?, im really impressed by the amount of wisdom here on the forum these skills take along time to develop keep those recipes coming ssorllih