Heavenly Pigs Feet

Butterbean

Heavenly Pigs Feet

Post by Butterbean » Sun Apr 14, 2013 17:22

Probably not the best thing for you but still good all the same. Especially with copius amounts of beer and a few pickled eggs and pickled sausages.

This is a little twist to pickled pigs feet. Its different in that they are not overpowered with vinegar or gelatin and the sweetness of sugar on your tongue keeps luring your mouth to the foot in spite of the heat on your lips that makes you keep reaching for the beer yet it has a final taste of vinegar.

Preliminary Cook

1 gallon water
12 ounces of canning salt
3 ounces of Cure 1

Make brine, and place pigs feet in the pot and bring the temp up just before it boils then cut the heat off and let cool then place in fridge overnight.

Next day, put the pot back on the burner but this time bring it up just before a boil then cut back the heat and let the simmer till the meat is tender but not falling apart.

When tender, pour off the brine and run cold water over them to cool and to clean the feet.

When cooled, pour white vinegar over the feet and let rest in the fridge overnight.

Next day, choose the container you want to use and put 10 cloves of garlic in it along with a few dried chilis, about a TBS of beet juice and a couple of sliices of beet.

Put pigs feet in the container.

Make the pickle

Pickle

8 cups vinegar
8 cups water
1 teaspoon pickling spice
4 Pasilla Chilis - or whatever you have on hand
6 Arbol Chilis - or whatever you have on hand
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons sugar

Warm this brine up and let simmer till the flavors come out then pour over the pigs feet and let cool then refrigerate and let pickle for 2 weeks - if you can.

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 15, 2013 06:27

Dang, Butterbean.... that looks mighty tasty! My ol' pappy would have been your best new friend! :wink:
Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Apr 15, 2013 14:47

Butterbean I'd like to try them this way. I tried making pigs feet just once, and the gelatin came out too stiff. Also, I like your coloring method. Thanks for the recipe - it's a keeper till I get some more trotters.

Jeff
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Apr 17, 2013 23:44

Cabo, I've had the same thing happen and they were really quite messy. I think in doing it this way you will find the feet are very clean and tidy with no gelatin on them. The final pickle is very mild on the vinegar which allows you to taste the sugar, the pepper then the vinegar in that order. The process can easily be adjusted to your personal taste on the vinegar or the heat. These are very good as is though.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 00:27

Butterbean wrote:Cabo, I've had the same thing happen and they were really quite messy. I think in doing it this way you will find the feet are very clean and tidy with no gelatin on them. The final pickle is very mild on the vinegar which allows you to taste the sugar, the pepper then the vinegar in that order. The process can easily be adjusted to your personal taste on the vinegar or the heat. These are very good as is though.
Now you've realy convinced me to try your recipe.

I like to pick up hocks and trotters and smoke them really dark. They raise a pot of beans to the next level, as we all know. :cool: So next time I get some, I'll be making your pickle recipe, and I will report back. I can only be happy when eating pickled pigs feet.