Smoked cheese

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29

redzed wrote:Hmm, 90° is a bit too high for cheese, I think. The outside will start melting and there will be a change in the texture. But then, maybe that is what you like, so who am I to judge? :lol:
Bit high yes. I'd say its the limit. I'm not recommending smoking at that temperature nor am I recommending adding any heat only recommending to apply smoke and no heat but when you have temps of 87F in December you adapt and improvise.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 17:29

You can also cool the smoker with trays of ice cubes. And you have to take the type of cheese into consideration. The higher the fat content, the lower the melting temp. So some cheeses should be OK with 90.

Although I have never done this, but have read on the Polish site, the cheese is first placed in a brine for a couple of days before smoking. Others secure it in a plastic bag, place it into hot water to soften, form a ball or oblong shape, and roll in their favourite herbs. The cheese is then wrapped in cheese cloth and hung in the smoker. That is a great way to turn a basic $3 lb cheese into a gourmet quality product.