Smoked cheese

Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Smoked cheese

Post by Big Guy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:39

Yesterday I fired up my smoker and cold smoked some cheeses, Colby, Gouda, and some Jarlsberg

Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 09:17

Who's going to eat all that cheese? Little Mace? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33

Yes little Mace will get his share. Daughter #1 and her tribe will gobble it up, daughter# 2 will take some and son#1 will clean up the rest. I better get eating if I want any. LOL
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:06

What kind of wood smoke are you using Big Guy? Temperature?
Oh no... are you still trying to smoke using wire insulation? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13

I used a mix of hickory and apple wood. I just put my amazing smoker in the bottom of my smoker,lit it and shut the door I came back 8 hrs later. It just smolders and I don't have to monitor the temp. Did you notice the shiney grills, I cleaned them just for you chuck old buddy.
This mornings breakfast was grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches using some smoked Jarlsberg cheese :mrgreen:
Col. Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:34

Yup, ol' pard! When I scrolled down and saw the reflection from those spiffy, dazzling, grills... I went blind temporarily. I just put on my welding mask and can now see how hard you must have worked on them. :roll:
Bacon and melted cheese sandwiches? Believe it or not, out here in the sticks, that is called "chuck wagon chicken with cow salve". It`s great for breakfast... with tomato soup! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 14:53

That looks great!

I need to get off my 'cheese-smoking' duff and start cold-smoking some before outdoor temps start climbing.

I'v discovered that smoked cheese does need an extensive resting period post-smoke (3-5 weeks sometimes) to mellow. A lot depends on the type of cheese, the wood used, and one's own taste preferences. Right out of the smoker, the taste can be harsh, bitter & overpowering, but once the cheese blocks are vac-sealed & allowed to rest in the fridge for weeks, I find the results delightful.

Applewood still my favorite for cheese.

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 26, 2013 14:18

BG, I've been smoking some cheese lately too. Just removed these three pieces this morning. I left them in the smoke for two days and have vac sealed them and put in the cooler to equalize. I wanted to experiment with some parmesan (L), and have gouda and jarlberg as well. Smells delicious.

Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 20:07

Great minds think alike. LOL
Col. Big Guy
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Dec 18, 2013 00:32

Those cheeses look great! At what temperature should cheese be smoked at. My smoker has a range of 60-250° and I'd really like to try smoking some different cheses while it's cool outside. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 01:09

Ray, your smoker will not cold smoke. If you set the temp at 60 or 70, I don't think it will get the smoke going. BG uses the Amazen smoker, and even that raises the temp to around 10F above ambient. I would not take it above 70° when smoking cheese.

This is the Amazen that I use. Works like a charm, and while expensive for a little aluminum tray, you save a bundle in fuel. A couple of handfulls of pellets will smoke for 8 - 10 hrs.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDe ... e=AMNPS5X8
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 18, 2013 01:16

I have pretty high ambient temps so I don't worry with applying any heat at all just smoke and hope it doesn't get hot enough outside to make it melt. But I think below 90F and you are fine.

I'm probably going to upset a purist with this but if your smoker is well used and your smoker has a good amount of smoke buildup in it like mine I have found that simply putting the cheese in the smoker for a few days gives the cheese a nice pleasant smoky flavor. Of course that is too easy so its probably wrong.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 18, 2013 04:00

Hmm, 90° is a bit too high for cheese, I think. The outside will start melting and there will be a change in the texture. But then, maybe that is what you like, so who am I to judge? :lol:

BTW the best smoked cheese I have ever eaten was in Croatia. A woman was selling cheeses out of a basket on the side of a road. We bought a good size round and consumed most of it before we got to our destination that evening. I wish I knew what it was made from and how it was smoked. :shock:

Stan has a good common sense section on cold smoking.
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-sm ... ld-smoking
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Dec 18, 2013 05:36

Anything or body that spends much time in a smoke filled room will come out smelling like smoke. And it takes weeks for the smell of smoke to leave a conference room.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Dec 18, 2013 07:49

ssorllih wrote:Anything or body that spends much time in a smoke filled room will come out smelling like smoke. And it takes weeks for the smell of smoke to leave a conference room.
I've worked fire jobs where smoke abatement companies were making a fortune getting rid of the smoke smell, not always with great results. I do have another source for a bit cooler smoking but I'll go with BB's idea, if anything, not hat high on my smoking bucket list, Heck, smoking two picnic this coming Friday while simultaneously pounding out a ten pound batch of my new thought-of pork maple-apple breakfast sausage, my dance card is pretty darned full. I'm going to pick a bit from Rytec, Big Guy, Bruce, and maybe a little something from CW for this effort. Just got done reducing a quart of apple cider down to syrup while dehydrating six pounds of Fuji apples for nine hours, this sausage will feature some Grade A MacDonalds 100% pure maple syrup too. I'm thinking of calling it Ray's Mapple Breakfast Sausage. More to come! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”