continuing my tightwad culinary efforts.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

continuing my tightwad culinary efforts.

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 04, 2013 16:18

I was in the super market Tuesday and they had cabbage with all of the leaves still attached that I grew in the field. Some folks don't like those and break them off and leave them but I like to steam them, remove the midrib and wrap them around sausage to make stuffed cabbage. There is also a recipe in this forum for Belgium cabbage sausage for which I will use the midribs.
I bought a whole cabbage and a large bunch of leaves. Cabbage is a fine veggie in that it spoils only on the outside and you can trim down to fresh even after six months in the fridge.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Jul 04, 2013 16:41

...stinky, too! ...but tasty.
Stinky D. Duck
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 08:04

Ross,
Have you wondered why Chinese people seem to have everlasting youthfulness? Their secret is cabbage! The brassica oleracea also includes brussels sprouts, cauliflower, bok choy, kale, and broccoli. You know... the stuff you can't get your kids to eat even though you threaten and intimidate em'! :roll:
This veggie group is the storehouse of phyto-chemicals like thiocyanates, indole-3-carbinol, lutein, zea-xanthin, sulforaphane, and isothiocyanates - compounds having powerful antioxidants and known to help protect against breast, colon, and prostate cancers and help reduce LDL or "bad cholesterol" levels in the blood.
So, eat your cabbage and broccoli cowboys, and let`s beat cancer!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 05, 2013 14:17

I have posted my method for stuffed cabbage before but it is worth repeating. Collect the biggest dark green outside leaves from the cabbage and steam them for about 10 to 15 minutes. cool them with a cold water rinse and remove the midrib. This leaves a flat half leaf about 4 inches wide and 8 to 10 inches long. With water wet hands pick up generous lumps of sausage and shape them into elongated balls and roll them up in in the leaf halves. Now they can be cooked in red sauce with pasta or in a dish in the oven with onions, potatoes and carrots with chicken stock as a cooking liquid.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 23:55

Hey ol' pal,
What is your favorite sausage to prepare this with? Anything traditional?
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Jul 13, 2013 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jul 06, 2013 02:36

fresh polish is good of course, Chaurice will go into some of these. I am working on a corned beef taste. I have used several traditional meatloaf recipes for this. Now that I have a larger choice I will probably consider the taste I want and follow that. These cabbage leaves were just rolled and frozen in zipper bags waiting to be filled.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Jul 07, 2013 15:57

We love stuffed cabbage. In fact I will be making some today using the big leaves of Swiss chard atraight out of the garden. Absolutely delicious in a tomato sauce, sauerkraut and a little rice in the meat ball. Straight out of grandma's Hungarian recipe book.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 07, 2013 17:10

Dave, I like to use cooked rice to push the last of the meat through the grinder. Then I just mix the rice into the mince and nothing is wasted.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 10, 2013 01:47

I mixed the rest of the mince from last week.( I had kept it frozen) Used the same chorizo formula as for the sausages but used this for the stuffed cabbage. One ounce per leaf. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Jul 10, 2013 05:43

I want to come to your place for dinner!!!!
Ursula
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 10, 2013 15:14

Darling I will make you most welcome!
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 11, 2013 01:41

Tonight for supper I cleaned out the fridge. I had one chicken thigh, a half cup of dripping from roasting two thighs, a half cup of cut corn, half an onion. So I chopped the onion and sautéed it in the fat on the drippings and added some celery. I cut the chicken thigh into small pieces and mixed in two tablespoons of flour and stirred that all together and added some milk to make a gravy. Made some very thin egg rich pancakes and wrapped the chicken and gravy in those. Two of us ate well and had leftovers.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 12, 2013 14:24

Supper last night. Pie crust made with the lard saved making pulled pork BBQ. Baking does something to pork fat that seems to diminish the taste of whatever seasoning was used when the meat was cooked.
Spinach on the bottom, sausage precooked and cut into chunks, tomato on the sausage, pepper jack and cheddar cheese next. two eggs and a cup of milk beaten together with a half tablespoon of corn starch( the corn starch binds the excess liquid so that you don't get a soggy bottom crust)Bake @ 375°F for 40 minutes. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 00:41

Hey pard, that's COWBOY cookin! :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jul 13, 2013 02:30

This is what I do with the leftover pastry.
Cherry pies.

Ross- tightwad home cook