Canned chicken liver pate`

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Canned chicken liver pate`

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 14, 2013 00:30

Nancy and I are quite fond of Chicken liver prepared as a spreadable concoction to put on crackers.
So in an effort to restock the pantry shelves I bought 3 pounds of fresh chicken liver and five pounds of chicken leg quarters. I poached the well rinsed livers in plain water and the legs in a separate pot. When the livers were cooked to not show bloody when cut open I drained them and let them cool in the fridge. The legs were cooked until they also were not bloody when cut. I ground the meat, fat, skin and livers together through an 1/8 inch plate. I weighed the result and added:
1.8% salt
.25% marjoram and crushed black pepper
3% onion (I used equivalent dried onion)
And some garlic powder. I mixed all of that together with some stock dipped from the kettle with the bones in it simmering on the stove. Two cups as I recall.
I packed 20 quarter pint jars and processed them at 10 psi for 80 minutes. (I have done this many times with this product") I had about a pound and a half in excess of what would fit the jars so I packed that to freeze.
The ratio of meat etc. to liver was 1:1. The next time I make this I will reduce the salt to 1.5%.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 00:42

Ross, when it come time to use it, how do you prepare it when you remove it from the freezer? This recipe sounds delicious and not overly complicated. Any special serving tips?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 14, 2013 01:28

That in the jars is simply stirred smooth and it is ready to use. This is the first time I have made more than I could can in one load that is why I put some in the freezer. When It comes time I expect that I will just thaw it in the fridge, then stir it smooth and put it out on a large platter with a variety of crackers as part of a stand up social with a wide selection of finger foods. One of those, " everybody bring something and we are certain to have way too much shindigs."
Non parells are a pleasing little pickle with it spread on a cracker. It stands pretty well by itself.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 14, 2013 07:21

Ross, I really like that recipe! And I especially like that there are only a few spices and ones we all have in our pantry. Too often these days one is is frustrated with recipes that number 15 or 20 ingredients! Definitely will have a go at it when I find some time. I know that even though it sounds simple, it's a lot more work than many want to undertake, but willingly fling out the debit card and pay 10 bucks for a 4 oz portion at some deli. :shock:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 14, 2013 13:53

There seem to be many people with too much money in their pockets. This batch cost just over 7 dollars for about five pounds.
Ross- tightwad home cook