Smoked peppers

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Smoked peppers

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 18, 2013 02:00

Yesterday I was able to get jalapeno peppers for $.99/ pound. I decided to dry and smoke them. Image
my cold smoke on a 95° F day. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 02:25

Chipotles? My son does them and they are superb, particularly when they are stuffed with crab, minced mushroom, and sour cream!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:58

Chipotle en adobo has become most popular during the past decade. Just look in your local supermarket where it seems to fly off the shelves. But the stuff is expensive and you can improve the recipe anyway, just by making it yourself!

When jalapeño peppers have lost much of their moisture, they turn deep red. Placed on metal mesh inside a smoke house several days at only 110 degrees, they will soon begin to resemble prunes - without the sugar. However, smoked in a light smudge a few hours only, these little guys are hot and delicious. Typically, it takes ten pounds of jalapeños to make one pound of chipotle. I hope you try making your own. Simply dry and smoke your own jalapenos just as Ross has done (using your favorite wood), and then bottle them in your own adobo sauce. You may just throw away your can opener! Adobo sauce has a hundred other uses in Mexican cuisine.

"Awesome Adobo"
(Mexican Adobo Sauce For Chipotles)

8 guajillo chiles (dried)
8 ancho chiles (dried)
1 fresh jalapeno (seeded and diced)
6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tspn. cumin
1/2 tspn. cinnamon
1/4 tspn. salt
1 tblspn. Mexican oregano
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup orange juice
1 medium onion (peeled and diced)
2 tblspns. tomato paste
1/4 cup oil
2 cups chicken or beef broth
1 tspn. black pepper
12 cups of water

Mix the water with half the vinegar in a large non-reactive pot. Using caution, stem, seed, and mince the chilies then place them into a small bowl and cover them with a little boiling water for half an hour. Discard the chile soaking water and slightly saute` the chiles, onions, and garlic in a small skillet. Use a blender to puree` the chilies, bell peppers, onion and garlic, tomatoes, and the spices. Finally combine all the ingredients and simmer the sauce half an hour until it becomes thickened.
To make Chipotle en adobo, simply place the smoked jalapenos into jars, adding enough adobo sauce to cover them. They may also be preserved by following regular "canning" procedures.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 18, 2013 16:36

I stuck a thermometer in the smoker lid this morning. The outside air temperature is about 92°F and inside the smoker it is 120° F. Dull black lid in full sun.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jul 19, 2013 04:05

...looks like a delicious recipe. Gotta try it soon.
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.