Lemon balm chicken

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Lemon balm chicken

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 23, 2013 03:19

On Saturday I collected a couple of cupful's of lemon balm leaves and flowers and combined them with a half cup of salt and of sugar and poured over them a quart of boiling water. I let them macerate over night and strained them in the morning I reduced the brine strength to 22° sal and set two chicken thighs to cure. I roasted them tonight. The lemon balm taste was completely lost. All I had was a couple of cured chicken thighs that were a little too salty.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 23, 2013 14:25

Ouch! :sad:
Hey, Ross- - we need to clear some juniper from our yard in Texas. Maybe you could stop by for a week or so, clear the juniper (it steals water from the live oaks), and try boiling it down.
No charge!
And if you act now, I'll throw in the Brooklyn Bridge. Operators are standing by.
Duk
:mrgreen:
P.S. Dr. Duk sez "Take two lemonade and call me in the morning."
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 23, 2013 15:44

Ducky, We could share some rain with you, we are about 8 inches above normal for this time of year. You still in NC?
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 23, 2013 21:36

...still in NC. Too much rain here, too. Time to go home. (Won't be long.)
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 07:45

Well shucks cowboys!
Move to Utah where we have plenty of that-there, dad-gum, salt water!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 24, 2013 15:12

Chuckwagon wrote:Well shucks cowboys!
Move to Utah where we have plenty of that-there, dad-gum, salt water!
What is the brine strength of the GSL?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 08:25

The salinity of saltwater is measured in parts per thousand and the symbol 0/00 (parts per thousand), is used. For instance, the salinity of the Dead Sea (the world`s most salty endorheic body of water) is 30.4% or 304 0/00 meaning there are 304 pounds of salt in 1,000 pounds of its water. The level remains practically constant, unlike the Great Salt Lake in Utah where the water has a variable salt content between 8 and 27% or 270 0/00 in its heaviest concentration.
Why... my goodness, the water is so buoyant in that ol' lake that I`ve seen horseshoes float on the surface! :roll: Yup, pard... it's shocking! Positively shocking! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D