Anyone had sucess making smoked salt? The start of an idea

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Anyone had sucess making smoked salt? The start of an idea

Post by markjass » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:08

I have tried a number of smoked salts over the years. I have only found one that I like. Last weekend I bought one at a local market. It is horrible. The salt is ok, but the herbs and other extracts added make it rank. Anyone had success making smoked salt?

Adding smoked garlic would be good, but would using dried garlic chunks be better? What about adding pepper corns and dried chilli or lime? Would you smoke them together or not smoke them at all?

Maybe using a splatter pan or a sieve to hold the mixture. I suppose tumbling everything in the smoke would be the ideal - ? how to.

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Tue Nov 19, 2013 15:24

I have smoked salt in the past. I have found adding anything to the salt is a bad idea because the amount of time that it takes to get a good smoke level just ruins foods. I use a combination of cold and hot smoke. This is mainly because I tried to cold smoke the salt first and it just didn't feel strong enough after 24 hours of smoke so I threw it in my hot vertical smoker on the top shelf while I was smoking something else. All told, I smoked the salt for around 32 hours over a mix of hickory and apple. I used a splatter guard that I cut the handle off of to lay the salt on.

I suppose that you could add herbs to the salt after but really the smoked salt is a nice addition to certain dishes.