Roast pork

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Roast pork

Post by ssorllih » Mon Dec 16, 2013 06:52

Tonight I had the pleasure of the company of two couples that are fine friends. I served roast pork butt that I had seasoned on Tuesday as I would season pork breakfast sausage. It was delicious but there were almost no drippings. The meat was moist and tender and there is no room for complaint except for the lack of dripping for gravy. I managed enough for about a pint. But this business about salt modifying the meat to keep it juicy has its drawbacks. Now I have to figure out how to make all of that wonderful tasty brown dripping stuff. ;-) 3 pound roast almost 3 hours at 310°F
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Dec 16, 2013 20:53

Breakfast seasoning on a pork roast sounds interesting to me. Will have to try that. Have tried sprinkling potatoes with it and letting them rest before frying and that was good too.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 26, 2014 02:28

I scored some butts this week and roast pork trumps almost everything so With one of them I sliced off the skin side slab and then cut a roast that I could wrap the slab around. I seasoned the roast as for sweet Italian sausage and wrapped the slab around it and tied it up tight,
It will go into the freezer for an occasion.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Jan 26, 2014 02:43

Boy howdy Ross, I'm looking at the pic of that roast and feeling like one of Pavlov's dogs. I'm extremely rich in porkbutt right now, have two big yams that have to be baked in the next couple of days, and I just received four jars of home-made apple sauce in exchange for a bit of my wild hog Italian sausage from my hunting partner. Oh yeah, the menu for tomorrow is set! Just plain old hipshot maple-honey bacon cheeseburgers on home made rolls tonight. Hot damm, it is truly great to be us! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 26, 2014 03:03

I roasted a nice fat pork roast sometime back. With all of the salty crispy fat encrusting the outside and friends that were over carefully trimmed away the fat and ate the lean as the slathered butter on fresh bread. I said nothing but thought it was a hoot.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 06:27

Ross ol` pard,
Here`s a remedy you may wish to use in an emergency if you ever get in that spot again (without gravy). Of course it`s not as good as your original recipe using drippings, but it`s certainly better than nothing. Folks do love their gravy... and this one is not bad at all. This recipe was not handed down to me. I didn`t even have to search for it. I simply "appropriated" it... you know - filched, pinched, lifted... heck, I stole the danged thing! :roll: Yup, this gravy recipe was rustled by me long ago - from a large restaurant chain that has had real success with it.

Rocky Mountain Ringer
(Good Gravy In A Pinch)

28 ounces Chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
1 tablespoon Chicken bouillon powder
2/3 cup Bisquick

Combine the broth, onion powder, bouillon powder and Bisquick in a blender. Blend the mixture at high speed for 30 seconds until it is smooth. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and stir it constantly over medium high heat for 4 or 5 minutes, until if comes to a boil. When it is smooth and thickened a bit it`s ready to serve.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 26, 2014 14:57

Yup! done that too. Have even boiled a quart of chicken stock down until it caramelizes and worked from that.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Jan 26, 2014 23:45

Turns out the pork I removed from the freezer was already cut up into grinder-ready sized chunks, should have unwrapped the package and looked. Now I'm thinking crockpot carnitas and some flour tortillas. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 28, 2014 16:11

Yesterday I removed the bone from a 10 pound butt and cut off a roast. The rest of it I put in a covered pyrex pan and roasted for several hours and made in into pulled pork BBQ. No added water but did include two onions. It rendered 12 ounces of good lard.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jan 28, 2014 18:06

Ross- Onion flavored Lard? That sounds good for some types of recipes.

For pie crusts and bread making I like Leaf lard (the fat from around the organs). Pure white after rendering and almost no flavor.

Yea I know hard to come by but if you know of someone who raises or cuts hogs for others it is worth the effort.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 28, 2014 18:16

Onion flavored lard for meat pie crust.. :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jan 28, 2014 22:39

I read this missive too late to take advantage. I made my carnitas with a ten-hour soak in the crockpot; 3 pounds of porkbutt, 3 cups chicken stock, onions, bell pepper, garlic salt, oregano, chili powder, and black pepper. After separating the meat from the liquid I turned the pork into some very nice enchiladas. poured the liquid into a baggie and threw it in the fridge. This morning I pulled it out, of course all the fat had congealed and separated. My wife asked what type of plans I might have for using that, had to say I didn't know, it got tossed. I'd imagine that fat would have been perfect for a meat pie crust with the flavoring those seasonings would have imparted. Oh well, I still have a few pounds to lose before we head down to Ixtapa anyway. RAY