pics of my polish fermented pickles and some sweet peppers

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

pics of my polish fermented pickles and some sweet peppers

Post by king kabanos » Tue Nov 04, 2014 20:28

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Nov 04, 2014 23:11

Wow King you have been busy! Great looking stuff.
Did you ferment those pickles in the jars?
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Wed Nov 05, 2014 02:12

yeah i made them and its really easy but there not the pickles that you usually get at the market like vlasic. they are fermented brined pickes with no vinegar in them but reakky tasty and better than the stuff you get at the store
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Nov 05, 2014 04:30

I meant did you make them right in the jars or in a croc or another larger vessel?
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Wed Nov 05, 2014 16:50

oh right into the jars covered with boiled brine and sealed tight for a long lasting pickle
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Nov 05, 2014 18:35

Thanks !
May have to make another attempt at making pickles next year :idea:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 05, 2014 18:50

We also made fermented pickles this year and they turned out OK, but not great. Will have to definitely made improvements to the process. For the past few decades we have relied on my mother's pickles, but that chapter has now come to an end.

Maxell has some good pickle recipes and will post them here.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Nov 06, 2014 01:45

king kabanos wrote:oh right into the jars covered with boiled brine and sealed tight for a long lasting pickle
If the cuke is covered in brine and sealed up tight, I'm pretty sure it can't ferment. A fermented vegetable has to have time to form lactic acid and give off carbon dioxide. A sealed jar will not allow this to happen. That's why it is done in a crock or jar fitted with an air lock. Could be wrong though.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 06, 2014 07:23

Dave Zac wrote:
king kabanos wrote:oh right into the jars covered with boiled brine and sealed tight for a long lasting pickle
If the cuke is covered in brine and sealed up tight, I'm pretty sure it can't ferment. A fermented vegetable has to have time to form lactic acid and give off carbon dioxide. A sealed jar will not allow this to happen. That's why it is done in a crock or jar fitted with an air lock. Could be wrong though.
You are right Dave. We pour the brine over the cucumbers (with dill and garlic), put the lids on, but not tighten. They sit in room temp until they sour properly and then we process them so that the jars seal. I like the taste when they are just partially soured and can eat a whole jar at a time!Image