Blackberry infusion

redzed

Blackberry infusion

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 06, 2016 16:12

Here on Vancouver Island, as in the rest of the Pacific Northwest, we are blessed with an abundance of blackberries. They grow everywhere, and if you are prepared to suffer through a few scratches and pokes from the sharp needles on the branches, you can get as many berries as you want. At this time of year the blackberries are in their prime, sweet and plump, and full of vitamins and antioxidants. While my wife has already made some excellent sweet and savoury jellies, I made my specialty, which is a blackberry infusion. Infusions are very popular in Poland and everyone has their preferences and recipes. Stanley Marianski has a good explanation of fruit and alcohol infusions here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/alcohol/infusions

For my infusions I don't use vodka, but rather my own distilled version of grappa which I make from pressed grape skins from wine. I distill the alcohol to 40%, so that the infusion is usually around 22% to 25%. The process is very simple. Using a large 3.8 (1 US gallon) litre jar, I add 1kg sugar to 2kg blackberries, mix well and break up the berries. After 24 hours I add 1.5 litres (sometimes a bit more to fill up the jar) of grappa and three drops of vanilla extract. The mixture is then left to macerate for 4-6 weeks and then is strained and clarified with coffee filters. After bottling the liquor is stored in a cool dark place for a minimum of six months, and is best after a year. And not only does it taste great, it is so good for you!

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Aug 06, 2016 17:58

Thanks for sharing this. That is very interesting. Blackberries are finished here but I have plenty of grapes and juice on hand.

This reminds me of an old recipe I have somewhere of a cherry "infusion" a Scottish gentleman made in the foothills of the Carolina mountains. It is said that people would come from neighboring states to buy this Cherrywine and he was quite famous for it. I've always wanted to make this but since I moved from the mountains to the flatwoods cherries aren't easy to come by unless you pay for them.

I do know a guy who knows a guy who makes a clear beverage using waste fruit such as blackberries, blue berries and peaches. I've been told this is pretty good and was even told that one guy was so content after drinking a couple glasses he contemplated peeing his pants for fear standing to attend to business might jeopardize his buzz. But I wouldn't know. This is all hearsay because I'm afraid to drink anything of the sort being our gov't warns us that drinking untaxed alcoholic beverages will surely blind us and I need to see so I can continue to work and pay taxes to fund these folks that care so about my well being.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 07, 2016 16:24

Hey that stuff that I make does not blind you! If anything, your vision (and mind) increase in sharpness with every shot you savour! :lol:

I also have been making cherry infusions. The picture below shows this year's production in the large jar and last year's in the bottle. I have been using the small sized sour cherries which have a very intense and unmistakable flavour. Absolutely delicious! Ingredients are simple, 2kg cherries, 750g sugar and 1.5 litres of 40% grappa (can be substituted with vodka).

Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Aug 07, 2016 17:57

That looks beautiful Chris. I'm sure its about the same as what this guy was famous for. For people to travel long distances on horse or wagon to purchase is nectar speaks volumes for the quality of this nectar. If I can find this recipe I'll post it sometime but I'd be willing to bet its similar to what you are doing. I value the older crafts and don't think we should forget them but our gov't is pretty concerned about our eyesight for some reason.

In fact, a friend of mine got a visit from a black helicopter and some black suburbans a few years ago. He said you would have thought with all the resources they brought to bear Bin Laden was hiding on his property. :lol: :lol:
Lance Link
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lance Link » Sun Aug 14, 2016 15:15

That looks awesome. Now I know what to do with all the blackberries I have this year :lol: .