CALLING ALL JERKYS

Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

CALLING ALL JERKYS

Post by Kijek » Sat Dec 08, 2018 23:19

I love making venison and beef jerky, right now I'm sticking with grinding the meat and seasoning, marinade overnight, then press out into flat snack strops or round snack sticks.
It's a big hit, everyone love them.

I'm going to try some other recipes that call for using sliced whole muscle meat.
In this case after marinading the meat is removed from the marinade and is pat dry and the remaining marinade is just tossed away down the drain. So basically all the marinade is not being used.

So If I use ground meat, I can't pour all that marinade into the batch, that would over power things correct?

What do you think; use hlaf the marinade and/or double the amount of meat needed for that marinade recipe?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Dec 18, 2018 04:53

I prefer to take the slice the meat and as soon as it is sliced I dredge the slice through the marinade and then put it in a container to marinate overnight. I will continue to dredge the meat this way until all the marinade is gone. Doing it this way insures that all sides of the jerky are coated properly and there is little to no waste of the seasoning. I went to this method after I found uneveness in flavor doing it the other way.

Have also recently purchased a vacuum tumbler and it does wonders for jerky and decreases the marinade time tremendously.
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:57

I've done both, ground and sliced with beef and venison. Never had any left over marinade. Put meat in a stainless steel bowl, mixing well. Refrigerate, mixing every 12 hrs. and let it sit for 2 to 3 days. I add liquid smoke to it, as opposed to smoking. Put in my dehydrator for 6 hrs. at 160. With dehydrator, you need to move the trays, top to bottom, front to back every hour and a half for proper drying. Local market has been selling beef rounds for $2.99/ lb.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 19, 2018 07:39

I don't make jerky too often, but I do like the stuff and eat too much of it when it's around. But I feel obligated to tell you make sure you bring the IT temp uo tp 160 or if you are using a dehydrator at least 80ppm of nitrite will keep you safe.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54

Redzed, i've read that about the temp but and always use cure 1 and always use whole muscle cuts but just out of curiosity what hurdle are they trying to get you over with the 160F temp?
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36

Yes, cure 1 is added on my recipe. Another point is, last hour and half, all the jerky is flipped over to dry the bottom.
Kijek
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Kijek » Wed Dec 19, 2018 16:44

nuynai wrote:I've done both, ground and sliced with beef and venison. Never had any left over marinade. Put meat in a stainless steel bowl, mixing well. Refrigerate, mixing every 12 hrs. and let it sit for 2 to 3 days. I add liquid smoke to it, as opposed to smoking. Put in my dehydrator for 6 hrs. at 160. With dehydrator, you need to move the trays, top to bottom, front to back every hour and a half for proper drying. Local market has been selling beef rounds for $2.99/ lb.
I can see that we are all on the same page more or less, nuynai, you do pretty much everything I do with my ground meat and dehydrating / moving the trays around for even drying.

Thanks for the responses everyone.