Salchichoc - Chocolate Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 12, 2021 03:02

Image Image

Dessert making is not in my household job description. Other than the occasional scooping of ice cream, I have never in my life baked a cake, made cookies or anything else in that genre. But these are crazy times, and this all changed a couple of days ago when I crafted a chocolate sausage. :D It's something that I've been wanting to make for quite some time. After studying and reading many variations, I settled on a Spanish "Salchichoc", based on a recipe in Charcuteria: The Soul of Spain by Jeffrey Weiss, p. 429. It's made with dark chocolate, butter, raisins, dried apricots, almonds, walnuts, cashews, cookies, Cointreau and vanilla extract. I made a few adjustments in using salted butter, toasting the nuts, substituting sherry with the orange liqueur, and using gluten free cookies. On the technical side, rather than trying to roll it into a cylindrical shape with cling wrap, I firmly stuffed the prepared batter into a 60mm salami casing. This assured a perfectly shaped, more dense and firm product, no air pockets or crumbling when slicing. A "salchichoc" is great with a coffee or a dessert wine and an entertaining complement to a charcuterie board.
Butterbean

Re: Salchichoc - Chocolate Sausage

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:10

Wow! I never would have dreamed of something like that. Looks tasty
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Feb 12, 2021 15:58

Is it baked or cooked in some way?
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 12, 2021 17:17

fatboyz wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 15:58
Is it baked or cooked in some way?
No baking involved. The butter and chocolate are melted in a double boiler, nuts and fruit are chopped, cookies crumbled and everything is mixed, slightly cooled and stuffed. After a night in the fridge I peeled off the casing and rolled it in icing sugar. Warmed to room temp and sliced.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Feb 12, 2021 20:01

Till today I never dreamed there would be any possibility of my becoming a vegetarian. Now I see I was wrong. :lol:
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Sat Feb 13, 2021 14:41

Beautiful! I have the book but never noticed the recipe. Thanks for sharing it.