Curing Back Fat

Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Curing Back Fat

Post by Scogar » Sat Feb 20, 2021 21:13

So I find myself needing to cure some back fat. My hope is that this will be one of the ingredients in my sausage contest entry if my timing works out. Reading through Marianski I learned that there is no benefit of adding cure #1 to pure back fat as there is no myosin. So one just uses salt and let's this work for about two weeks, in my case 12 days from this afternoon.

Marianski says for non-smoked backfat one uses 8kg salt per 100kg fat. So this works out to be a factor of .08. I have 2411 grams of back fat now curing with 193 grams of salt. I am assuming that I am not missing anything here. Now let's see what happens over the next 12 days. I am hoping some fluid is rendered out so that I can ensure that I have properly cured the entirety of the fat by the flipping and kneading process.

When I'm ready to use it do I just rinse it or soak for a bit? I don't know whether the back fat will be too salty right out of the bag.
Bob K

Re: Curing Back Fat

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 21, 2021 14:54

Depending on what you will use it for it can be rinsed or soaked for up to 24 hrs to remove some of the salt. You can google salt pork for various uses. While salt pork is mostly made from belly, backfat is also used.

You can also make Lardo (flavored backfat) viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5636
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7693&hilit=lardo
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Curing Back Fat

Post by Scogar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 14:32

Thank you Bob