Don't Eat Your Horse - He won't trust you any longer!

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Feb 14, 2013 05:41

Through-out evolutionary history horses were fast food. For my mind they are just a little too useful to turn into prime rib. Now on the other hand when they have out lived their useful life I would consider it a waste to not harvest the meat and hide. But don't treat them like beef cows.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 15, 2013 02:05

Here is another reason you should stay away from commercially ground "beef"! :wink:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/14 ... al-widens/
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 02:33

ssorllih wrote:Now on the other hand when they have out lived their useful life I would consider it a waste to not harvest the meat and hide. But don't treat them like beef cows.
I read a while back that originally Salami was made from Horse meat in Europe because of hard times and high meat prices.
Do you think there is any truth in that Ross?
Ron
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Feb 15, 2013 03:13

The useful life of a work horse was often less than ten years and it was better to sell the hide to the tanners and the meat to the butcher and the bones to the glue factory than to hire the labor to dig a pit and bury the animal. The hide was needed to make leather for harness and meat was food the bones when ground and cooked made glue and fertilizer.
Ross- tightwad home cook