Sourdough cultures

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Sourdough cultures

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 03, 2011 02:52

We have sausage recipes from all around the world and it only seems right that we could make the breads from the many regions of the world.
My sister has from time to time sent me wild sourdough starter recipes but she lives in a different part of the country than I. So I went searching for a supplier of leaven cultures from around the world and found this.
http://www.sourdo.com/home/our-sourdough-cultures-2/
Each is well described and should pair well with sausage from the same region.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 15:26

I have to disagree with the statement from the company about a culture staying pure. From my time as a baker I understand that a culture only stays exact when grown in the same area. Once grown in another area local yeast will be in the starter. Not that the bread will not be good but not 100% the same. Each time the starter is feed more local yeast is added. It is impossible to keep one the same unless it is grown in the same area it was started in.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 03, 2011 16:58

I think that most of the stray yeast probably comes with the flour we use. The only way to keep it pure would be to use the flour milled from grain grown in the region of origin. I bet if you used all of the cultures in the same shop for several months making all of the breads every day you would soon end up with just one culture.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 20:45

I do not remember any talk back then about the yeast in the flour but it makes sense. And I also bet it would result in the close to the same culture for each batch after several months. The original yeast would still be present but in a very small amount.

I sure miss baking bread on a stone hearth!!!!!
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 23:20

Stone hearth?
Hey Dick, can you tell us a little more about it? Where did you bake on a stone hearth?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Nov 03, 2011 23:35

Chuckwagon wrote:Stone hearth?
Hey Dick, can you tell us a little more about it? Where did you bake on a stone hearth?
After the Air Force I went to culinary school. One of my teachers opened a bakery specializing in desserts and hearth breads. I helped him open the bakery and was his lead baker for two years. We used a gas powered double stone hearth oven for our breads. I baked all our products but the hearth breads were my favorite task. We did sour dough loafs and baguettes. Russian, Italian, French, American, and designer style breads. I probably have left out some.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 04, 2011 00:12

WOW! a bakery like that next door To Jason's shop could be a double success .
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:12

Hi Dick,
Man, I am jealous of you. Mr Experience!!!!!!!! I am a keen sour dough baker and still I have balls-ups every so often, like my risen bread being 1 1/4 inches high and heavy.
It was only edible if I used my power buzzer.
Any trade secrets you like to share?
This old colgwog is never too old to learn.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sat Nov 05, 2011 23:57

Jan,
In the case you gave it sounds as the sour was not very active. It really would be impossible give you a reason why it failed. In the past the cultures I used everyday would stay healthier than one I tried to keep going but did not use very often. It was too easy to forget to feed that one. Then it would not be as active, or taste as good.

Dick
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Nov 06, 2011 01:26

When I try sourgough bread I usually add a tablespoon of yeast just to give it a kick..
DLFL judging by your present age I presume that you were career Air Force. You would have been about 40 when you were at Clark?
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 00:18

Hi Dick,
Your advise makes a lot of sense to me, I do maintain the sourdough culture but only on a hit and miss basis.
Is it better for me to refresh the culture every day, for how long to it takes to be able to get a very vigorous one going which I can use, without baking fishing sinkers.
Thanks Mate,
Jan.
Brisbane.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon Nov 07, 2011 01:24

crustyo44,
Feeding everyday is the best way I know to keep a good sour culture going. If refrigerated the replication process would be slowed down.

Here is a link on sourdough culture and it includes keeping in the refrigerator.
Sourdough starter

ssorllih,
You are right on with my age while at Clark.
Dick

Never quit learning!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Nov 07, 2011 01:35

I usually start a new culture when I want the taste of sourdough because I simply don't bake enough to justify keeping a culture for the weeks that would pass between batches.
Much like sausage there are so many kinds and only so much we can eat.
I am fermenting a rye/whole wheat starter to make into a 25% whole grain bread to wrap around some sausage for a reception at church for an old friend that died Friday.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 01:01

Ross, I totally agree with you. In my household there is only the 2 of us and we don't consume a lot of bread, unless we have an influx grandkids.
The little devils are always hungry.
My biltong, sausage and smoked meat stocks always disappear then at an alarming rate.
One thing though, whatever I make is better than the crap available in supermarkets.

Dick, is it possible to freeze a very lively sourdough culture?
Best regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 08, 2011 01:24

When my kids were at home I made six loaves each week. My younger son would come home and yell to his mates that dad had made bread and a loaf of bread and a quarter pound of butter would vanish.
Ross- tightwad home cook