1 medium yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup strong coffee
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
Black pepper to taste
Optional - your favorite hot pepper sauce to taste

1. In a large non-stick pan cook the diced bacon over medium-low heat until it is lightly browned and just beginning to crisp. Do not overcook the bacon.

2. Using a slotted spoon transfer the cooked bacon to a large colander or strainer placed over a larger bowl allowing any excess fat to drain.

3. Remove all but 1 Tbl of bacon fat from the pan and cook the onion in the reserved bacon drippings over medium-low heat until limp and translucent. Add the garlic, stir well to combine and continue to cook with occasional stirring until the onion mixture is soft and has taken on a golden color without browning.

4. Transfer the bacon, onion and garlic into a heavy bottom 3 qt saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients. Heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-3 hours stirring every 20-30 min`s. During this time nearly all of the water will evaporate and the concentrated liquid will become dark carmel colored and syrupy. If the mixture begins to dry before two hours add a 1/4 cup of water, stir and continue to cook for at least two hours. Repeat water additions as needed. When done remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for about 20-30 min`s.

Picture at the start of the cooking and reduction of the mixture.

And at the end of cooking (3 hours here)

5. Transfer the cooled mixture to a food processor with a metal blade and process the mixture slightly by pulsing for 3-5 sec`s to bring everything together leaving some chunkiness in the finished jam. Store the finished bacon jam refrigerated in an airtight container.

After processing it looks like this

A few thoughts on using this wonderful stuff ...

Try it on a hot biscuit or warm toast
Use it as a condiment anywhere you want some great bacon flavor (burger, baked potato, etc.)
Try a Bacon Jam sandwich with lettuce and tomato (BJLT)
Or, one of my personal favorites, a Peanut Butter and Bacon Jam Sandwich (PBBJ), shown here on a sesame seed bun

If you like bacon, you must make this. Not only is it incredibly good, it is a very convenient way to have some great bacon goodness ready to use, in your refrigerator.
Last edited by Devo on Fri May 18, 2012 06:34, edited 1 time in total.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 05:06

SausageBoy wrote:Looks interesting!

Is this your recipe?

:wink:
It's a basic recipe I have been using. A company called Skillet Street Food and chef Josh Henderson kindly offered up this basic bacon jam recipe. I just added stuff to my liking
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 06:06

Oh really, thats to bad. It seems when you post a recipe from around the world in the around the world forum, SausageBoy wants to give copy right info for every post. Sorry but i'm just to lazy to do it. It's a recipe I found on a open forum and no where in there it said not to post someplace else. If you want the link it's right here.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.ph ... #msg256695
Now some people are not happy unless they are causing trouble. I sure hope thats not the case here.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:21

Hey guys I just got done doing some research and there are several Recipes for Bacon Jam on the Internet "that are Similar to the one posted here" without having any Copyright info provided or any that I could find :!: So whats the big deal in regards to the copyright comment :?:

Some are on other forums and some are on recipe sites :!: I don't understand the recent controversy that seems to be brewing :neutral: :sad: :mad: :?:

I want to add that this forum (In my Opinion) is to openly share Ideas, Recipes, Knowledge etc... as a method to expand the groups knowledge and help each other become better (wherever it come from).

I have for one enjoyed and learned allot from the great members of this forum and am hoping that the negative trend stops and we go about expanding our Knowledge is a respectful way. :idea: :!: :!: :!:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 10, 2011 14:56

SausageBoy wrote:I got a nasty hateful PM for asking questions about the recipe, so I deleted my posts and somebody is going on ignore! LOL

:mrgreen:
WOW! that's tellin um.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 10, 2011 15:04

I am not sure just when something is considered to be in the public domain but I have many recipes in my head that I have read in one book or another that when I write a recipe here I am probably writing something that was copyrighted by someone, somewhere, sometime. Stan's books are copyrighted so if we use a recipe from one of his books and we haven't gotten written permission to publish to the specifics and we write the cmplete recipe we are technically in violation. But I don't think we will be sued.
Ross- tightwad home cook
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:21

there are few new ideas in food. There are only re-interpretations. Nobody should feel bad for using a recipe or modifying a recipe unless they are lying and saying "I invented this!", which clearly isn't the case here.

Nicely done on your bacon jam :smile:
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 02:12

jbk101 wrote: I don't understand the recent controversy that seems to be brewing
Second that !!!!!!!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 11, 2011 02:34

There is always someone that sees a problem that isn't there and tries to fix that which isn't broken. Our best responce may be ,"yeah , whatever!"
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:10

Hi,
All these forums should be about learning new things, gaining experience from other peoples stuff ups and making lots of new friends.
Nasty abusive messages including PM's should not be tolerated.
Regards from a cranky old Dutchman!!!!!!
Jan.
Brisbane.