Sixteen Tips For Writing A Professional Recipe:

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:53

In writing a book, one of the first things I had to learn how to do was write a recipe correctly so it could be presented to a publisher. Otherwise, the manuscript would end up in the trash can and I would receive an informal, standardized, and copied, "rejection slip". In placing recipes on this site, I`ve bent up the rules plenty of times, but if you`d like to have one published, be sure to include these tips:

1. Let your readers know up front, how much product or how many servings your recipe provides. Readers may wish to halve or double the recipe to accommodate the size of their families. It also helps to know this so they can shop for adequate quantities of ingredients.
2. List the ingredients on a separate line in the order in which they will be added to the recipe. Spell out measurements, avoiding abbreviations for tablespoons, teaspoons, etc.
3. Always list the ingredients in the exact order they will be used in the recipe.
4. If you add multiple ingredients at once, it is most professional to list them from largest to smallest measure.
5. List all the ingredients right down to the last shake of salt. Never assume your readers have little things stored away in their cupboards.
6. If your recipe includes unusual ingredients, explain them in a head note.
7. If you measure something chopped, include the directions "chopped", right after the measurement. Example: "1 cup chopped garlic".
8. If you measure something whole and then chop it, write "chopped" after the ingredient. Example: "1 cup walnuts, chopped".
9. Let your readers know what size of utensils they`ll need to avoid juggling them later on.
10. If the oven needs to be preheated, let your readers know at the very beginning.
11. Why not be kind enough to show measurements in both metric and imperial terms?
12. Use a little western courtesy. Instead of :
"Chill butter" - "Sift flour" - "Cut butter into cubes." - "Rub into flour.
Why not be a little more neighborly and friendly? Write it like this:
"Sift the flour and rub the butter cubes into it until the dough looks like coarse crumbs".
Even better, be downright hospitable pards, (and more accurate); try writing it like this:
"chill the butter for a half hour before you need to cook, then cut it into cubes. Sift the flour and rub the butter cubes into it until the dough looks like coarse crumbs."
Sure, it`s longer - but much friendlier. :mrgreen:

13. Do not use two numerals together. Either place the second number in parenthesis, or spell it out. For example, "1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese."
14. If you suggest alternative ingredients, don`t just name them, but also include what quantities your readers would need.
15. If an ingredient is used more than once in a recipe, list the total amount (volume) in the ingredient list, and then add the word "divided." Then, in the instructions, indicate the amount used during each step.
16. Write clearly defined and complete instructions, but do not over-complicate the directions. To make absolutely sure you have included everything, have someone make the dish and follow them from start to finish. Never publish a recipe that you have not cooked and eaten yourself several times.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun May 31, 2015 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jun 23, 2012 13:46

Chuckwagon , Thank you and that is very good instruction. I am often guilty of presuming a reader will know how to make bread so I just list the percentages and the method. But most people would find that indecipherable.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 24, 2012 05:12

Ok, I decided to try this recipe. My butter was in the fridge so I actually had to let it warm a bit before I cut it into cubes, but after I rubbed it into the flour it got nice and crumbly. Now I want to know when to add the chopped garlic walnuts and creamed cheese? I preheated the oven as per your instructions but I need to know how long shall I bake this dish?

Chris
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jun 24, 2012 14:04

How come people make tuna fish sandwichs but we never hear of sardine fish on crackers? Tuna seens to be the only one that people are compelled to append "fish" to. Never do you get broiled salmon fish or fried trout fish.
Ross- tightwad home cook