[USA] Sunday chicken in 6 days

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 07, 2012 03:43

Take 45 grams of salt
add 2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of ground dried chilis
1/2 teapoon celery seed
3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper corns chrushed and ground with the rest
Add 4 kilograms of chicken legs disjointed into thighs and drumsticks Place all into a food safe container and mix daily for the rest of the week.
On Saturday put it all into a roaster with onions ,carrots, and celery and roast it covered at 300°F until the meat slips from the bones. Remove the skin and the bones and shred the meat as for pulled pork serve with your favorite barbeque sauce.
Last edited by ssorllih on Thu Aug 09, 2012 05:38, edited 1 time in total.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 06:40

Good one Ross! Is the chicken ok all week long in the fridge? I've just got to try this one for Sunday! What kind of dried chilies are you using?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 07, 2012 13:30

I have a 32° fridge that will keep milk for a month past the sell by date and seems to keep meat at least as well.
The chilis: every two or three years I buy one package each of all of the dried chilis at one of the local supermarkets usually about six kinds. I stem and seed them and oven dry them until they are as brittle as potato chips then I mill them in a food processor and sift them in a large basket strainer. The coarse pieces go back into the mill for more chopping. Then in small batches I finish milling in a coffee mill. I think a blender would also serve and allow larger batches. When they are finished they will sift through a tea strainer. This process makes about a quart and I give about hal of it to freinds.
The short answer is that the chilis are a private blend formulated by an old yankee cook and craftsman who will never tell me his secret.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 20:09

Mmmmm... yes, me know
old yankee cook
He from "fa-gow-we" tribe. Him named, "Chief Wannum Lester Bull" or "Wannum Les Bull" for short! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Aug 07, 2012 21:00

I qualify. I was born and raised in Connecticut, I cook, and some people tell me that I am rather old. Not that I admit it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 01:17

Well uhhh... if we sliced you in half like a tree, and counted the rings... how many would we find? :lol:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Aug 08, 2012 02:31

welllllll. There wouldn't be any buckshot from the charge up San Juan Hill. But if you just estimate that which is rotted out in the core and count the rest there are still a few that can be identified. You might find the ring when Truman gave his inaugural speech. Some of them are pretty closely spaced because of drought conditions and some are rather wide showing the good years. The last few years would show quite uniform growth patterns. :???:
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Today I cooked the chicken.

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 11, 2012 03:28

I took the meat from the bucket into an enameled roaster and added a large onion cut into quarters three carrots and three ribs of celery and two pints of stock. Placed the whole thing in a 270 degree oven until the carrots were fork tender.
I highly recommend trying this. It is superb. I had not tried this before but couldn't find any reason not to try.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 18, 2012 03:31

I just had to follow this up with a comment about the stock saved from the finished chicken. The flavor is superb and the texture when cold is that of headcheese. I gave a pint to a friend to use for aspic which is just a high falutin name for savory gelatin. he plans to fill it with cooked meat and veggies.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 09:16

Ross, ol' pard...
You wrote:
I was born and raised in Connecticut
Does that make you a Connecticutter? Or is it Connecticuttian? Or are you a Connecticutcharcuteriearian? Our pal "jcb" who joined us in July, ought to know. He still lives there. Let's ask him. :lol:

Oh yes, I tried your recipe. Wow, it is rich! And tasty... mighty tasty.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon