[USA] Artichoke / Zucchini Fritatta

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

[USA] Artichoke / Zucchini Fritatta

Post by sawhorseray » Fri Oct 05, 2012 00:56

If you enjoy the taste of artichokes but don't like paying $3 to $5 each for a over-priced thistle this recipe might come in handy, it's one of my favorites.

12 oz.pkg, frozen artochoke hearts
1 fair-sized Italian squash (zucchini)
1/4 onion, chopped
7 eggs (scrambled)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
salt & pepper to taste
10" oven-safe non-stick fry pan

I like to chop the onion and the zucchini fairy fine, cut the baby choke in half

Heat the olive oil over a medium flame in the skillet, then add the butter. When the butter is melted I toss in the chopped onion first till they begin to clarify, then toss in the artichoke and zucchini. Mix them around with a rubber spatula and stir up every couple of minutes until the veggies are soft and just begining to slightly brown 12-13 minutes, should be smelling nice.

Add a little salt and pepper, give it another stir, then pour the beaten eggs over the entire contents of the pan. It cooks like a omlet and you have to bleed the egg down the sides of the pan until the top begins to firm up, making sure you use a spatula on the bottom so things don't stick and burn. Once firmed up enough slide the fritatta on to a Pamm'd up dinner plate, and, WHILE WEARING THICK OVEN MITTS, place the pan over the fritatta and flip it over so now the cooked side is facing up.

Put the skillet back on the stove and turn the flame up to medium-high for two minutes while moving the pan around to make sure the fritatta doesn't stick. Take it off the stove and into a pre-heated 350° oven for 10-12 minutes

When the timer goes off, REMEMBERING TO BE WEARING THE THICK OVEN MITTS, remove the pan from the oven and slide the fritatta onto a dinner plate to cool. I like to squirt the juice from a lemon over the fritatta at that time, maybe a little more pepper.

This veggie dish goes with fish, poultry, beef, pork, or anything else you could think of, no condiments needed, slice it like a pie, absolutely delicious. I serve it warm for dinner and get up in the middle of the night and eat slices of the leftovers cold right from the fridge. Hope I didn't make sound like too much of a pain, I've been making it for 45 years now since my Sicilian Noni taught me how and it's become easy. RAY
Last edited by sawhorseray on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:12

Nicely done pal! I've just got to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D