[USA] My Philippine Grilled Chicken

Smokin Don
User
User

[USA] My Philippine Grilled Chicken

Post by Smokin Don » Fri Nov 30, 2012 07:54

Nov 29 2012

I found the recipe for Philippines Grilled Chicken by DLFL under Recipes from around the World and looked good. Here is mine done on my Traeger pellet smoker.

I had two whole fryer chickens to cook and decided to do one for making chicken and noodles and one as Philippine grilled chicken for tonight`s supper. I spatchcocked them both and one went in the brine overnight; it was in for 11 hours.

I cooked down about two cups of the brine to use as a mop sauce but it was too salty for me. I made some from water, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, dried garlic and onion flakes. I had some Zatarain`s yellow rice left for a side and sautéed some thin sliced carrots and green onions. I also had a loaf of take home and bake garlic bread to have.

I inserted a pat of butter under each breast on the chickens, and seasoned the unbrined one with Lawrey`s seasoning salt. They went in the fridge to dry about two hours before smoking.

I got them in my Traeger on smoke mode 175 deg. After 45 minutes I started to ease the temp up in 25 deg. increments until I was at 300 deg. I mopped the one with some melted butter and the brined one with my sauce twice during the cook. I went to 325 deg. for about the last 15 minutes. They were both done after a total of 1 hour 45 minutes.

I tented them with foil and made my carrots and heated up the rice. I did the carrots and onions in a skillet, med. high, in some butter, added about a teaspoon of sugar when they were getting soft then some soy sauce. This took about 10 minutes.

I served my wife a breast and I had a leg and thigh. We both had a slice of the garlic bread and butter.

The chicken was moist and tender, pretty tasty. I liked the carrots done this way, quick and easy to make.

The Garlic bread

Chickens ready to smoke

Chickens are done

My Plate

Smokin Don
Last edited by Smokin Don on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 08:21

Yikes Don!
I'm salivating and licking the screen on my computer! That looks incredible. I can just imagine the rich, smokey flavor. Looks like you know a few secrets of cooking, my friend. Wow, just wait until that ol' codger Ross Hill sees these photos. He'll probably want to eat the bones!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D