[USA] Smoked Pistachios

Smokin Don
User
User

[USA] Smoked Pistachios

Post by Smokin Don » Wed Dec 26, 2012 17:26

I love pistachios, they are pretty expensive so usually only have them for special occassions. Snowing all day here so thought I would share these in time for New Years parties. I smoked a pound and a half for Christmas. I coated them with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkled on some Penzey`s sandwich sprinkle. It is a mix of salt, garlic, black pepper, oregano, rosemary, thyme and marjoram. Love that stuff on about anything. I smoked them at 170 deg. for one and a half hours. I have done them before with just garlic salt but this is my best. The olive oil lets the seasoning stick to the shells and are best sucked on first to get some of the seasoning before eating. A tablespoon per half pound seems to work good. They go well with beer! Enjoy!

Smokin Don
Last edited by Smokin Don on Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Wed Dec 26, 2012 23:22

Hey Don,
A special thanks for the smoked cracker recipe-I made up a bunch for Xmas to go along with the usual smoked cheese and Kielbasa plates and now I'm besieged with requests (demands) for more "of them crackers". If the pistachios are half as good I don't know if I want to share with the rest of the family and friends! (but I will). The best part is another valid excuse for another beer!

Thanks again for the great recipes

Pat
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Dec 26, 2012 23:51

Don,

Thanks for what sounds like a great recipe. I only buy shelled pistachios. Would your recipe work with those or do I need to adjust the ingredients? Also, what wood do you use for smoking? Thanks.
Rudy
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Thu Dec 27, 2012 01:52

IdaKraut wrote:Don,

Thanks for what sounds like a great recipe. I only buy shelled pistachios. Would your recipe work with those or do I need to adjust the ingredients? Also, what wood do you use for smoking? Thanks.
Ida K I would say just use enough olive oil to coat the nuts so the seasoning sticks and maybe one hour of smoke. I just eyeball the amount of seasoning. I use my Traeger smoker to smoke them and usually oak pellets. I have done shelled almonds and pecans too with different seasonings. I am too cheap to give out shelled pistachios :mrgreen: too easy for them to eat a handful!! Let me know how they turn out. Don
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Thu Dec 27, 2012 01:56

NorthFork wrote:Hey Don,
A special thanks for the smoked cracker recipe-I made up a bunch for Xmas to go along with the usual smoked cheese and Kielbasa plates and now I'm besieged with requests (demands) for more "of them crackers". If the pistachios are half as good I don't know if I want to share with the rest of the family and friends! (but I will). The best part is another valid excuse for another beer!

Thanks again for the great recipes

Pat
Glad you liked them Pat! Everyone that tries mine loves them. I made them awhile before getting the idea to smoke them and they are twice as good smoked. Don
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 06:50

Don! These are terrific! Thanks for sharing ol' pard. :razz:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D