1 med. onion, peeled & chopped 2 tsp tobasco
1 bunch green onions, chopped 2 bay leaves
7 cloves garlic, chopped fine 1 tsp thyme
1/2 cup chopped parsley salt & pepper to taste
1 rib celery chopped 1 lb. Smoked sausage, sliced
1/2 cup catsup 1 lb pickled pork cut in 1" cubes
1 green pepper chopped rinsed
cooked rice

Drain the beans. Put in 6 qt. heavy pot and add 3 qts. Fresh water. Cover & simmer for one hour, or until the beans are tender. Stir & check to make sure beans are covered with water while simmering. Add rest of ingredients, except the rice, add water to cover if needed. Partially cover & simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs or until the liquid thickens. The recipe doesn`t say so but I like to brown the smoked sausage & pickled pork a little before adding it to the pot cut the pickled pork a little smaller. Some recipes call for red kidney beans but I like the smaller red beans. Add more tobasco if you like it hotter! Serve over cooked rice.

Pickled Pork

1/2 cup mustard seed 12 pepper corns
1 TBS celery seeds 6 cloves garlic, cracked
2 TBS tobasco 2 lbs boneless pork butt,
1 qt white vinegar cut in 2" cubes
1 bay leaf 1 pinch of pink salt (optional)
1 TBS kosher salt

Combine all the ingredients except the pork in a stainless steel pan & boil for 3 min. Cool & place in a refrigerator container ( plastic, glass, or stainless ) add pork. Stir to remove the bubbles. Cover & refrigerate for 3 days. Every since I had red beans & rice with the pickled pork it`s not as good without the pork! I have never tried the pink salt in the pickled pork but plan to soon.
Last edited by Smokin Don on Thu Apr 18, 2013 00:56, edited 2 times in total.
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 30, 2012 04:12

Don , Why would you add the pink salt" Cure#1 to the mix for pickled pork. At best you would get pickled ham at worst you would notice any difference.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Dec 30, 2012 07:23

ssorllih wrote:Don , Why would you add the pink salt" Cure#1 to the mix for pickled pork. At best you would get pickled ham at worst you would notice any difference.
Not sure Ross, it was in the original recipe and I have to just try it once. Don
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 14:41

How did you cut the white vinegar into cubes? did you freeze it? LOL
Col. Big Guy
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:43

Big Guy wrote:How did you cut the white vinegar into cubes? did you freeze it? LOL
Glad you caught that BG, :oops: I cut and pasted the recipe, the ingredients were in two columns. When I saved it they merged to one column tried to edit but didn't know how to fix. The 2 inch cubes belongs with the pork! I think you can make all else out ok. Don
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:25

Don when that happens to a post place the cursor at the begining of the phrase you want to move and click the "Enter" key. That will jump the phrase to a new line.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:43

Here is a revised recipe, easier to copy. Don

Red Beans and Rice with Pickled Pork

1 lb red beans, soaked overnight
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 med. onion, peeled & chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
7 cloves garlic, chopped fine
½ cup chopped parsley
1 rib celery chopped
½ cup catsup
1 green pepper chopped
2 tsp tobacco
2 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
1 lb. Smoked sausage, sliced
1 lb. pickled pork cut in 1" cubes
Cooked rice

Drain the beans. Put in 6 qt. heavy pot and add 3 qts. Fresh water. Cover & simmer for one hour, or until the beans are tender. Stir & check to make sure beans are covered with water while simmering. Add rest of ingredients, except the rice; add water to cover if needed. Partially cover & simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hrs or until the liquid thickens. The recipe doesn`t say so but I like to brown the smoked sausage & pickled pork a little before adding it to the pot cut the pickled pork a little smaller. Some recipes call for red kidney beans but I like the smaller red beans. Add more tobasco if you like it hotter! Serve over cooked rice.

Pickled Pork

2 lbs. boneless pork butt cut in 2" cubes
½ cup mustard seed
1 TBS celery seeds
2 TBS tobasco
1 qt white vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 TBS kosher salt
12 pepper corns
6 cloves garlic, cracked
1 pinch of pink salt (optional)

Combine all the ingredients except the pork in a stainless steel pan & boil for 3 min. Cool & place in a refrigerator container ( plastic, glass, or stainless ) add pork. Stir to remove the bubbles. Cover & refrigerate for 3 days. Every since I had red beans & rice with the pickled pork it`s not as good without the pork! I have never tried the pink salt in the pickled pork but plan to soon.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:57

much better!! thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:48

Is pickled pork available in markets up Ohio way? I remember having pickled pork products available in ethnic bars in upstate New York, but sadly we don't have much of that around here. Any suggestions as to what I might use?

That looks like an interesting variation on our usual Louisiana red beans and rice recipe.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:11

el Ducko wrote:Is pickled pork available in markets up Ohio way? I remember having pickled pork products available in ethnic bars in upstate New York, but sadly we don't have much of that around here. Any suggestions as to what I might use?

That looks like an interesting variation on our usual Louisiana red beans and rice recipe.
About the only thing I see in the markets here is Ekrich pickled ring balogna and pickled pigs feet, I could never do the pigs feet! It's been a long time since I hit the bars but they used to have jars of pickled hot sausage out. Don
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:26

Don,
I have just opened a jar of pickled hot sausage, the recipe was by Grey Goat.
It's great with a cold beer, believe me!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Dec 31, 2012 01:08

crustyo44 wrote:Don,
I have just opened a jar of pickled hot sausage, the recipe was by Grey Goat.
It's great with a cold beer, believe me!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
Thanks, Jan. For those interested, the recipe is at http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... &start=517 It brings back happy memories of ethnic (Polish) bars in Upstate New York and in Denver, Colorado. I hope they still have them.

Come to think of it, they were probably produced by the bar employees, using much the same recipe. ...pickled eggs, too.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 01:47

Duck,
I hope this worked, here is the photo of the pickled sausage I made to Grey Goat's recipe.
I can't stop eating it to my wife's disgust as I certainly loaded it with lots more garlic.
Cheers,
Jan
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:46

Crusty! Do you realize that all that vinegar has caused your bottle to become flat on one side! Or did someone just let all the air out of your bottle? :mrgreen: Shucks pal, now it won't roll. Come to think of it... I once dated a girl that became flat on one side too! :shock: I couldn't roll her around either. She was five-feet, four inches high... LYING DOWN! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Mon Dec 31, 2012 20:48

Jan the pickled sausage looks good, I saved the recipe & have to try that! Getting ready for New Years eve dinner, rib eyes and baked potatoes. Happy New Year! Don