Bread

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Bread

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:15

I try to bake bread for the occassion . In this case tomorrow at church we are hosting the Bishop and I am taking smoked salmon for the table. I wanted bread to fit the slices so I made this. Image
It is a blend of 20% whole grain wheat and rye in unbleached white flour. It is a small batch only one pound of flour total the dough chilled over night and this morning I divided it into two portions and rolled them quite thin, about a quarter inch or a bit less, and then working from the long side rolled the sheet into a log, pinched the edge to seal it and let it rise and warm up for an hour. Then it baked at 375°F for 20 minutes.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 19:30

Ross, that should complement thinly-sliced salmon just perfectly. What kind of crust did you get on the loaf? Nice lookin' texture too! I'm sure the clergy will be pleased. Heck, ol' pard... if you keep that up very long, you'll wind up in heaven! :wink: Right where you belong!
Please let us know what your Bishop has to say about it.
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 05, 2013 20:10

The crust is quite soft as I wanted. If I had brushed it with water just before baking and started with a 450° oven the crust would have browned and been crispy
Ross- tightwad home cook
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Sun Jan 06, 2013 06:08

That sure does look like some great bread Ross! I envey you, I'm not a great bread baker but have done some good no knead bread. I could eat bread and butter with all meals, that's not sandwiches. Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:11

Ross, did you realize there is money leaking out of your bread? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 06, 2013 14:54

CW I have that problem all of the time.
Don, One of these days I will post a video for making bread but it is so darn easy that I never buy bread. Much less work than making sausage. I would guess that I spend less than fifteen minutes of hands on time with a batch.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 06, 2013 15:27

http://s1112.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... d%20making This is a slideshow of the steps I use.
Ross- tightwad home cook