Eggplant Parmigano

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Eggplant Parmigano

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Mar 07, 2013 19:10

With eggplant being on sale the last couple of weeks I whipped up two batches of eggplant parmigano, a great side-dish that can be served with just about anything.

I peel the eggplants and then make nice thick slices, about 3/8" thick. Place on broiler pan, lightly brush each slice with olive oil, broil for 3.5 minutes, turn the slices, baste again with olive oil, and broil the other side for 3 minutes

Start with coating the baking pan with some Pam, then add a thin layer of tomato sauce, just enough to cover the bottom. Place the sliced eggplant in a layer over the sauce

Then cover the layer with some shredded mozzerlla cheese

After covering the shredded cheese with another layer of tomato sauce I like to do a layer of sliced portobella mushrooms

I managed to somehow lose the pic of the finished product, but the layers go: sauce, eggplant, cheese, sauce, mushrooms, cheese, sauce, eggplant, cheese, and a final topping of sauce. Bake in a 350° for 90 minutes, take out and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. I bring this dish to potluck affairs quite often and it always gets rave reviews, most enthusiastically by vegetarians. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Mar 07, 2013 22:20

Yum! We'll be right over. (I wish.)

Beloved Spouse is gluten intolerant, which rules out 90% of Italian-style cooking (pasta, pasta, pasta!). This is a great way around the problem. Even I, with a cast iron stomach, feel better when eating this sort of food. ...still get full, but don't have acid reflux like I used to.

...and it's delicious. The mushrooms add a whole lot of flavor, I bet. The eggplant is a great way of picking up and passing on great flavor. Enjoy!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 17:03

Ray, that stuff is exquisite! Do people appreciate the work you put into that particular dish? I know that just doesn't all just "fall" together. Nice work pal.

Best Wishes,
El ChuckO :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D