New Book Coming Out....

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

New Book Coming Out....

Post by JerBear » Fri Oct 07, 2011 20:32

The Sausage Book: The Complete Guide to Making, Cooking & Eating Sausages (link below)

LINK

Overview:

Sausages are one of the most satisfying foods to make at home and an excellent way to explore the world`s diverse tastes and culinary traditions. Nick and Johnny first demonstrate how to make simple sausages and cure and smoke them yourself. They then show you how to use your sausages - whether homemade or store-bought - in over 80 recipes, including Toulouse Sausage and Bean Cassoulet, Berlin Bratwurst Cooked in Beer, and Chorizo and Goat Cheese Tart. Filled with intriguing historical information, this is a good read as well as a useful cooking resource.

DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 21:29

I've had the book on order for a couple weeks. It's supposed to ship around the 1st of November.

~Martin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Oct 07, 2011 21:50

Awesome... I usually do a bulk book order just after xmas and my birthday (which is about the same time) and gather up the B&N gift cards. Let me know your thoughts when you get it!
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Sat Oct 08, 2011 04:31

I always ask the question.....does the world really need another sausage book?...but them I go ahead and order it anyway....need to build that collection...LOL

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Sat Oct 08, 2011 04:54

I meant to add....Ruhlman and Polcyn have a Salumi book in the works....due out next year. Can't wait for that one!!!

~Martin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Oct 08, 2011 06:01

I heard about that one, hopefully, I'll be ready for salumi when it comes out.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 11, 2011 00:52

I would ask when these men have time to make sausage. They seem to spend most of their time either writing or promoting their books.

Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski Have written some of the most comprehensive books that I have seen. There is never any conflict with the university publications that I can find on line for comparison.

I repair houses for my livelihood and have read hundreds of how-to books. Many by authors that I would not allow to hold a hammer. The books have lots of nice pictures but they are short on the math and science that is required for proper work.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 01:30

ssorllih wrote:I would ask when these men have time to make sausage. They seem to spend most of their time either writing or promoting their books.

Stanley Marianski and Adam Marianski Have written some of the most comprehensive books that I have seen. There is never any conflict with the university publications that I can find on line for comparison.

I repair houses for my livelihood and have read hundreds of how-to books. Many by authors that I would not allow to hold a hammer. The books have lots of nice pictures but they are short on the math and science that is required for proper work.
Some books are good, some really suck...just like any other subject.
As far as finding the time to make sausages while writing and promoting books...in the case of those like Ruhlman...it's their livelihood...done mostly at home.

~Martin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Oct 11, 2011 02:25

That and Ruhlman's book is actually co-authored with Brian Polcyn who is a professional chef and chef-instructor at a culinary school.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 11, 2011 02:35

Ruhlman is a professional writer who also does some cooking. The Marianskis are sausage makers that also do some writing.
You may trust whom ever you like.
Ross- tightwad home cook
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 03:19

ssorllih wrote:Ruhlman is a professional writer who also does some cooking. The Marianskis are sausage makers that also do some writing.
You may trust whom ever you like.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are your saying that it's a waste of time to use any resource other than the Marianski's. I'm confused.

It all boils down to what's going to work best for me...there's something to be learned from everyone...there's often a big advantage in reading, and hopefully, learning, from those who have no bias from years of 'experience' and and don't know "what can't be done"...and likewise...and of course....years of experience can be important too.

I try to keep an open mind and not write anyone off.

I've yet to read what I think is the perfect sausage book, and I have dozens and dozens.

~Martin
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Tue Oct 11, 2011 03:19

I don't want to discredit the Marianski family, in fact I have all but one of their books. I guess that I would best describe myself as someone interested in charcuterie of which sausage making is a facet along with confiture, terrines, pates, etc and unfortunately if you want to learn more about those subjects you have to move beyond sausage only books. Also, there's quite a bit of awesome sausage flavor profiles outside of the Eastern Block that may best be found in non-Marianki books such as Ruhlman/Polcyn's Turkey and Dried Cherry sausage, the multiple Mettwurst recipes in Chef Sonnenschmidt's book which is also titled Charcuterie and Len Poli's website Sonoma Mountain Sausages .

That said, I often find myself using the Marianki books as the foundation which I overlay other recipes. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Here's a blurb on Ruhlman's co-author Brian Polcyn: Forest Grill Restaurant
DiggingDogFarm

Post by DiggingDogFarm » Tue Oct 11, 2011 03:31

JerBear wrote:I don't want to discredit the Marianski family, in fact I have all but one of their books. I guess that I would best describe myself as someone interested in charcuterie of which sausage making is a facet along with confiture, terrines, pates, etc and unfortunately if you want to learn more about those subjects you have to move beyond sausage only books. Also, there's quite a bit of awesome sausage flavor profiles outside of the Eastern Block that may best be found in non-Marianki books such as Ruhlman/Polcyn's Turkey and Dried Cherry sausage, the multiple Mettwurst recipes in Chef Sonnenschmidt's book which is also titled Charcuterie and Len Poli's website Sonoma Mountain Sausages .

That said, I often find myself using the Marianki books as the foundation which I overlay other recipes. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Here's a blurb on Ruhlman's co-author Brian Polcyn: Forest Grill Restaurant

Well said....

When I set out to make a sausage for the first time...the more resources I have for research, the better...now...if we're talking about choosing just one book that's the be all, end all...well...that's a matter of opinion....a very contentious area, no doubt.

~Martin