Fermented Meat Products: Production and Consumption

redzed

Fermented Meat Products: Production and Consumption

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 27, 2013 19:05

I spent a good part of this morning reading an excellent paper, Fermented Meat Products: Production and Consumption, By Professor Herbert W. Ockerman and Lopa Basu, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/han ... sequence=1

It's a superb resource for anyone into fermented and dry cured products and has an extensive bibliography for further reading.
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 02:09

Sorry to say Red, but the first fifty pages have left me baffled and wondering how a Professor can let a paper pass that contains such an array of inconsistencies, conclusions based on assumptions rather than facts and references to what seems to be (just as) doubtfull sources. True, there are much usable information but it needs to be hand picked between doubious or even contrafactual statements. A bit of a minefield really, and I dont´see the meaning of the word "scietific" fitting in anywhere. "Resumée" is more like it.

It does make me a bit worried if an article like this is read by members who have no or little previous insight into the topic and who may choose to regard it as some kind of "evidence" owing to the prof.authorship and I´ll gladly dig into some of the numerous flaws in order to make the average reader realize that this paper should instead be read with a great deal of caution (but being a bith short of time right now to go into lenghts).

Just for a start the list of fermented sausage types world wide have made my the red alert lamp work overtime, and I´m afraid that it will burst long before I´ve turned the last page...
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 06:37

OK, Igor, I am one of the unwashed when it comes to this area. My academic area of education is in political history, quire distanced from fermenting sausauges. If you have issues with the paper I cited, then please explain. As a beginner, the paper I cited seemed quite legitimate, if not, please elabrate.
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re:

Post by fordtruckbeast » Mon May 02, 2022 14:35

Igor Duńczyk wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2013 02:09
Sorry to say Red, but the first fifty pages have left me baffled and wondering how a Professor can let a paper pass that contains such an array of inconsistencies, conclusions based on assumptions rather than facts and references to what seems to be (just as) doubtfull sources. True, there are much usable information but it needs to be hand picked between doubious or even contrafactual statements. A bit of a minefield really, and I dont´see the meaning of the word "scietific" fitting in anywhere. "Resumée" is more like it.

It does make me a bit worried if an article like this is read by members who have no or little previous insight into the topic and who may choose to regard it as some kind of "evidence" owing to the prof.authorship and I´ll gladly dig into some of the numerous flaws in order to make the average reader realize that this paper should instead be read with a great deal of caution (but being a bith short of time right now to go into lenghts).

Just for a start the list of fermented sausage types world wide have made my the red alert lamp work overtime, and I´m afraid that it will burst long before I´ve turned the last page...
İ thought it was a decent read.. Where exactly did you think it was misleading?