The Meat Processor's Journal

redzed

The Meat Processor's Journal

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 17, 2015 00:12

My favourite four letter F word is FREE! :grin: So I was quite happy when I found two very useful e-books published by Meatingplace, an online media group supporting the North American meat industry. To date, Meatingplace have published two volumes of THE MEAT PROCESSOR'S JOURNAL: Volume 1 WHOLE MUSCLE PROCESSING and Volume 2 DRY AND SEMI-DRY SAUSAGE PRODUCTION

You can download and read both e-books here:
http://www.meatingplace.com/Ebook/MeatP ... ournalVol1
http://www.meatingplace.com/Ebook/MeatP ... ournalVol2
If you have any problems with downloading, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the books in PDF format.

I found Volume 2 particularly useful as there is a lot of info there on the process of production of dry cured products, cultures, curing environments, problems, pathogens, and more. In fact, a lot more technical information than in many of the recent publications that claim to be the "definitive guides" to charcuterie, and especially dry cured products. And while these publications do not contain the huge amount of knowledge that is available in Fidel Toldra's Handbook of Fermented Meat and Poultry, the information is presented in an easy to read format and definitely worth reading. This is the stuff that people in the industry are reading and quite meaningful to us hobbyists as well. Stan Marianski's Art of Fermented Sausages is still the first go to book on the subject, but this is a great complement to it.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Wed Nov 18, 2015 15:50

Thanks for posting Red
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 18, 2015 23:44

Thanks Phil, hope that you find it useful. The more I read on the subject the more I realize how little I know! :lol: And I would rather provide our members with the tools and resources so that they can broaden their knowledge rather than cutting and pasting information and trying to pass the stuff off as my own research.