WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Re: WD Daily Chat - Talk about anything You Like

Post by StefanS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 01:03

:D Holly mackerel. It is a catch. Need a hand?
bcboy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bcboy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 06:34

Askews in Armstrong has pork leg on sale this week too at dollar 1.27 a pound. That a great deal or have you seen better than a dollar a pound?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 04, 2021 07:52

In this day and age, buck a pound is a steal. Almost difficult to understand how they could sell for that price. Equivalent to 79 cents USD.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 04, 2021 08:05

Scogar wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 23:19
Red, I'm assuming that those legs were frozen somewhere along the line since coming off the pig. So am I to assume that you or the store thawed the legs, then you portioned and classified out, and refroze? If that's so is there any noticeable degradation? I ask because I have about 6-8 shoulders I would love to thaw and cut/classify then refreeze. This way I have accurate weights and can properly design best use w/o having to do it all on the same day.

Normally I thaw once, cut up, classify as best I can but then just make do with what I have. Once the sausage is made I have no problem refreezing it. But assuming one makes raw sausage this would now thaw 3 times before being eaten.
The pork legs I bought were never frozen before. Of course fresh meat is the best and that is why I made 3 different types of salami today. Frozen is OK and you can thaw and refreeze again, but each freeze and thaw cycle diminishes the quality of the meat. This is what Marianski writes:
"Thawed meat can be re-frozen. What must be noted is that spoilage bacteria has already begun working on the meat in the thawing stage. Depending on how and where it was kept during thawing, its shelf keeping qualities will be shortened, even if re-frozen again."

Good summaries dicussing freezing and thawing meat are here:
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... ezing-meat
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... awing-meat
Scogar
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Scogar » Mon Jan 04, 2021 14:41

Thanks for the answer and I'll also be sure to follow the trails you provided. And wow, fresh, never frozen legs. That would be a rare find here where I am