Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
bearspice
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bearspice » Tue Mar 11, 2014 01:39

Reposted from the Biltong Making thread so it's not missed in the hullabaloo:

Hi all, Rob from NSW here. Just a newbie - Jan (Crustyo44) alerted me to this forum, so if any of my jokes make you groan, blame him. :twisted:

I'm glad to see people recommend against the biltong mixes in favour of home-made, as I see that both of the ones listed in the OP are laden with MSG (621). It even appears TWICE in one of the listings.

I get Heart-attack symptom pains (and I know this, cos I've had a triple bypass) and dry cotton-mouth whenever I have MSG or any of the enhancers like hydrolysed protein, so that is why I started making all my charcuterie at home - I can control what goes in it.

Anyway, that's why I'm here, and we LOVE Biltong at home, but have never tried to make it. The only equipment we have here is a hooded BBQ so I will be looking for ways to make Biltong in that. Not to mention smoking stuff (I made some really nice pastrami last week)

Cheers,
Rob.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 05:05

As Buddy Epson would have said, "Wheee Doggie" we have a bunch of new members! Just look at all these fine folks joining the greatest site on the web. What a good-lookin` bunch of intelligent folks. Welcome aboard wranglers! Welcome to the WD brand... where we make the world`s best sausage and drink the hardest, brown, mud water gargle ever known to pass as coffee! We make it strong enough to float yer' Colt .45 hogleg!

Howdy and welcome, Urrrrjames in England, kgalal in Birmingham, England, Andrea from Misty Gully in Victoria, Australia, mahmudakhnm60 in Bangladesh, GimpyMagoo in Kansas, Jackson in Cape Town, DougHutch in Ft. Myers, jdtenor22 in Austin, Texas, TaliskerJones in San Jose, California, and bearspice on the North Coast of New South Wales. What a crew! What a crew!

I recon ya` all ought to put up yer` hosses and then mosey on down to the campfire for some Arbuckle`s legendary liquid. Fetch yer`self a cup of Green River mudwater and kick yer` boots off. Pull up some shade and stay awile. Recon we have a lot to talk about! Again, welcome to this outfit. And relax... you`re among friends.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 05:17

Bearspice, you wrote:
we LOVE Biltong at home, but have never tried to make it.
Welcome aboard, pal... and be sure to check out the jerky-making articles in this section: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4999

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
bearspice
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bearspice » Tue Mar 11, 2014 05:49

Thanks for the welcome - and I'm getting some good tips from that jerky thread.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:20

Yeeee Hawwww! Welcome to Wedliny Domowe - Home Sausage Making! Five new members today and they are a good lookin` bunch! Howdy "stewstrum" in Chiang Mai, Thailand, "ABeck " in Costa Rica, "Moski" in Central Pennsylvania, and "Patty" and "Navarro" , both in Brazil. It`s nice to have you with us folks. Grab some Arbuckle`s and pull up some campfire.

Say, isn`t it about time for some "Seasoned Saddlebum`s "Sage Advice" & Philosophy From The Saddle"?
I`ve never heard anyone on their deathbed say they should have spent more time at their job. Shucks pards, yer` job won't take care of you when you are sick... your friends and family will. Life is too short, but it's never too late to learn how to be happy, but it`s all up to you and no one else.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 00:42

Say there pards! I reckon it`s about time for some... "Chuckwagon`s `Stuff I`ll Bet Ya Didn`t Know`?

- Men can read smaller print than women can, but women can hear better.
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- It is impossible to lick your elbow, but at least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
- The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska
- The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%
- The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $ 16,400
- The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour: 61,000
- Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
- The first novel ever written on a typewriter, Tom Sawyer.
- The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.

We`ve got a couple of new wranglers at the WD brand! Both are in Canada. That calls for a "Yeeee Hawww"! Welcome to Wedliny Domowe "Nitrous" in Ontario, and "The Dutch" in Alberta. I reckon you boys ought to mosey on down to the campfire and pour yourselves some Arbuckle`s mudwater brown gargle! You`re going to like this outfit. Nice to have you with us fellas.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 19, 2014 04:41

It dang sure won't cost me that much to keep a dog 12 years. It might take 3 dogs to do though.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:49

Ross, I've raised show-quality Shetland Sheep Dogs (Shelties) in pairs (siblings) all my life.
They are the finest herding breed of dog you could hope for, and always take the trophies at the sheep herding nationals held in central Utah each year. They are dedicated to their owners and do things you can't imagine. For instance, instead of running around the corral, "Jake" will run and jump to the top rung of the corral, bounce off a steer's back to another steer's back to yet another steer's back, and finally to the top rung of the corral on the far side, before jumping back on the ground. It's the quick way around a herd of cattle. Their legs are powerful enough to jump a chain link fence but they don't know it. Maybe that's a good things eh? Each dog has cost me at least that much to raise and even more. The big expense is in medical bills and dental care. They get the finest care and a couple have even had root canals! :shock: Yup, Shelties are my passion in life and worth every cent! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 19, 2014 13:10

I love dogs but I can't afford them. I don't even keep a cat.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:18

What about ducks, huh, Chuck?
Chuckwagon wrote: :shock: Yup, Ducks are my passion in life and worth every cent! :wink:
'attaboy! That's better.
:mrgreen:
P.S. Note to the management: I LOVE this text editor (heh heh heh).
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 05:41

OOOOooooo you.... you.... you.... bizzare, outlandish, water-'foul'-ball! Image You... you... psychotic paragon of pinfeathers! You... you... you... pinnacle of profanity-provoking plumage! Go sunbathe on the runway!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 06:05

A mighty fine and a great big Western 'Howdy,' all you new buckaroos and buckarettes! We`ve got two new members with us today. Welcome to WD "Croc" in Drouin, and "Alan" in Oregon. Nice to have you boys with us! Pull up some campfire and pour a cup of brown ditch water from that ol` pot on the grill. Most of the "hands" around the fire tonight are figuring up their taxes. Yup, what a nasty word that is eh? "Taxes"... shucks it even sounds evil. You know, the deadline is less than a month away! The folks at the I.R.S. are rubbing their hands together and grinning menacingly.
Hey, did you ever notice that when you put the two words 'The' and 'IRS' together it spells ...'THEIRS'? Yup, a penny saved is... not a heck of a lot. And a penny saved is... a government oversight!

Alan, Oregon is such a beautiful state. It is amazing. What town do you live in? And Croc, I think I`ve got you figured out (thanks to Wikipedia)! Unless I`m wrong, you are 56 miles (90 kilometres) east of Melbourne in West Gippsland. You are in the local government area known as the Shire of Baw Baw and your town of Drouin was named after a Frenchman who invented a chlorination process for the extraction of ore. (also an Aboriginal word meaning "north wind"). If I`m correct, stomp on the floor twice with your right foot! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 14:55

Say there, pards!
I`ve just figured something out.
If you know all the seasons as July, August and Winter...
If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching...
If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow...
If you find 10 degrees "a little chilly"...
If you're doing 80 in a 75, and everyone is still passing you...
And, If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, then you probably live in the mountains just south of Salt Lake City!

Hey folks! Have you looked at Bearspice`s website? Check it out at this link: https://www.youtube.com/user/lashbear

Welcome to Wedliny Domowe "Chrissy" in Alabama. It`s nice to have you with us. Have you ever driven 75 mph through 2 feet of snow? :roll: Pour yourself some Arbuckle`s Chrissy!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 15:43

The Legend Of Arbuckle`s Coffee - The "Cowboy Coffee"

Up until the close of the Civil War, coffee was sold green. It had to be roasted on a wood stove or in a skillet over a campfire before it could be ground and brewed. One burned bean ruined all; there was no consistency. In 1865, John Arbuckle and his brother Charles, partners in a Pittsburgh grocery business, changed all this by patenting a process for roasting and coating coffee beans with an egg and sugar glaze to seal in the flavor and aroma.
Marketed under the name ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEEŸ, in patented, airtight, one pound packages. The new coffee was an instant success. Chuck wagon cooks in the west were faced with the task of keeping cowboys supplied with plenty of hot coffee out on the range. ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA (air-ee-o-sa) COFFEEŸ packages bore a yellow label with the name ARBUCKLES' in large red letters across the front, beneath which flew a Flying Angel trademark over the words ARIOSA COFFEEŸ in black letters. Shipped all over the country in sturdy wooden crates, one hundred packages to a crate, ARBUCKLES' ARIOSA COFFEEŸ became so dominant, particularly in the west, that many cowboys were not aware there was any other kind.

Calling All Cowboys!

Keen marketing minds, the Arbuckle Brothers printed signature coupons on the bags of coffee redeemable for all manner of notions including handkerchiefs, razors, scissors, and wedding rings. To sweeten the deal, each package of ARBUCKLES' contained a stick of peppermint candy. Due to the demands on chuck wagon cooks to keep a ready supply of hot ARBUCKLES' on hand around the campfire, the peppermint stick became a means by which the steady coffee supply was ground. Upon hearing the cook's call, "Who wants the candy?" some of the toughest Cowboys on the trail were known to vie for the opportunity of manning the coffee grinder in exchange for satisfying a sweet tooth. Oh yes, their motto: "We wish you `Happy Trails` and good coffee!"

Did you know that you can still get Arbuckle`s today? Check out this link: http://arbucklecoffeetraders.com/store.html
You may purchase all sorts of collector`s items and of course authentic Arbuckle`s coffee (bean or ground). The price? It`s $16.95 for a half-pound... but you still get the peppermint stick with it!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
EnriqueB

Post by EnriqueB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 14:03

Hi all from Madrid, Spain.

Been reading you for a while. Only make fresh sausage and some whole muscle cures in the fridge, at the moment. Living in a small flat, a fermentation/curing chamber is something I cannot convince my wife to have yet, but always thinking how I could do it....

Best,

Enrique