Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jul 21, 2011 13:16

Hello James and welcome. Everything you could posibly want to know about the forum is here for your reading pleasure. Chuckwagon has posted links to every corner where the good stuff is stacked in neat piles.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 04:57

Hello jamesjesica from California. Welcome aboard to the greatest sausage-making site in the universe! We`re all friendly here and like to swap recipes and info. Don`t be shy! Post often and make some pals. It`s good to have you aboard! uhhh.... who's jesica?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 04:49

Welcome aboard hoghunter from the "deep South". Mr. "hoghunter" and I go way back. We are actually primordial, antediluvian, ancient, aged, original members of another site way back in history. Hoghunter is a true gentleman and a bowhunting expert. You would not believe me if I told you the way he makes his living. (Something we all dream about), but it`s not for me to say here. Perhaps hoghunter will see our forum called "Care to share how you got your handle?", and tell us about it. Welcome aboard my old friend! It`s great to have you join us on the world`s greatest sausage-making site!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 08:06

Let`s make room for another fine gent from "Down Under". He`s a handsome youngster (I`ve seen his photo) and his handle is gurkanyeniceri. Welcome aboard gurkanyeniceri from Canberra, Australia. How about telling us about your unusual tag in "Care to share how you got your handle?" The topic is in the "Hyde Park" forum. Here`s a direct link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=30
Yup, it`s great to have you join us on the world`s greatest sausage-making site!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
hoghunter

Hello Everyone

Post by hoghunter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 01:33

Thanks for the warm welcome Chuckwagon!
My handle is inspired for my love of hunting, and lately trying to make sausage out of the results. I enjoy all kinds of hunting from squirrel to elk, and several animals in between. I chose Hoghunter because hogs are the only thing where I live that will bite back! I tell you it is a real adrenalin boost hearing a sow growling at you about 20 yards away in the dark, in thick brush, with a litter of pigs with her. I'm not what you'd call an accomplished hog hunter as I've only killed three. Wild hogs are VERY smart. I stalk or still hunt them. I've never been on a hunt with dogs, to me that is not much of a challenge. Folks that do hunt them with dogs are doing the country a service as wild hogs are very prolific and destructive. I'm a beginner at making sausage and only had one good batch last fall when I spiced up some meat and stuffed it into "slim jim" sticks then slow cooked it over hickory on a big grill, it was delicious. I'm still working on recipes and know I'll find some good ones here. As I told my friend Chuckwagon I'm a chief engineer on a riverboat. We are on the move a lot so internet service is spotty, right now we are stopped not far from Cincinatti Ohio. I'll be going home in two weeks and I've got about 50 lbs. of deer meat ready to spice n grind so I better get busy lookin for some of the great recipes on this site!
Thanks In Advance for all the recipes on here. I know a lot of folks have a lot of time and money invested in them.
Regards,
Hoghunter
Hoghunter; now your cookin with lard!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 27, 2011 01:50

The books by the Marianskis are the finest books I have seen on this subject and I have been looking for many years. Those wild pigs tend to be pretty lean so find a local butcher that can sell you some pork trimming. And welcome to the mob.
Ross- tightwad home cook
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Wed Jul 27, 2011 06:05

Thanks for the welcome Chuckwagon

Hello everyone,

I am a home cheesemaker and the owner of Home Cheese Maker Facebook page. I am living in Canberra, Australia and came here with my lovely wife in 2002 on a working visa but decided to stay, we now have 2 beatiful kids, a house and a mortgage.

I started making cheese 3 years ago and started to sausages about 1 year ago. As I am a software engineer I follow the recipes religiously and record everything. It is fun to make things you can eat. I did have a lot of outdoor hobbies but I am required in the house more since the kids became handfull so I decided to take on some indoor hobbies and end up with cheese and sausage making.

My first trial was on Turkish Sucuk naturally as I am Turkish and missed those tastes here in Oz. After couple of trials I hit the correct ratio of spices I like and produced something you can actually enjoy.

Although close to Italy, and the temps and humidity is perfect to produce meat products naturally, Turkey does not have much different meat products. There is Sucuk and Pastrami I know of. But on the cheeses we are the 4th in the World but commercially suffering.

I don't have much time these days but as soon as I iron out couple of wrinkles in my family's life, I will be going full steam to make sausages and cheeses.
Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
hoghunter

Post by hoghunter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 16:47

Hi ssorllih,
Thank you for the welcome. The last hog I killed actually had plenty of fat on her, it was early December before cold weather set in. I tell you the wild hog tastes almost like the home raised ones. The pig farm meat you get in the stores is terrible after you taste the real thing. The sow bacon, ham and backstrap are so good! The boars are good also, I just eat the backstrap (loin!) and grind the rest.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 05:50

Hello and warm welcome to BriCan, our latest member from the Western Coast Of Canada. We`re glad to have you here BriCan. "Can" you tell us about your tag in "Care to share how you got your handle?" click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=30
BriCan, it`s great to have you join us on the world`s greatest sausage-making site!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 01:54

Welcome BriCan.
Good to see you on this forum as well Robert. Best wishes from a fellow Colonial from Down Under.
Robert has been a very busy contributor on another great sausage forum.
He is in the trade and his advise and recipes are always much appreciated.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 09:08

crustyo44 wrote:Welcome BriCan.
Good to see you on this forum as well Robert. Best wishes from a fellow Colonial from Down Under.
Thanks Jan, much appreciated
Robert has been a very busy contributor on another great sausage forum.
He is in the trade and his advise and recipes are always much appreciated.
:oops: :oops: and hears me trying to keep a low profile and get to survey the lay of the land. :???: I guess I am going to ave to post in the 'New Guys' tread :lol: :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 01:16

Another intelligent sausage maker has joined us from Texas and his tag is porterdriver. How do I know he`s intelligent? Well he joined the world`s greatest sausage making site didn`t he? How about telling us about your handle? Just click on "Care to share how you got your handle?" at the following link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=30
Welcome aboard porterdriver!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
hoghunter

Post by hoghunter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 02:07

Welcome to porterdriver from another newbie. I bet he knows a thing or three about some BBQ! If you need any help don't ask me I'm totally dazed and confused, and in a learning curve. Ole Chuckwagon has been showing me the ropes!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 04:01

Hmmmm....
I was on the phone the other day with Hoghunter and I asked him, "How do you spell trichinella?
"T-r-i-c-h-a-n-e-l-l-a", he said.
"Wrong, wrong, wrong", I fired back.
"No it`s not", said Hoghunter, "You asked me how I spell trichinella"! :roll:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 16:37

Our site is growing! Today we have 2 new members joining our ranks. Welcome aboard pmatanasov from Sofia, the capital city of Bulgaria and Jarhead from Missouri in the USA. The history behind Sofia (accent on the "o") is amazing! And be sure to check out Jarhead`s barbecue website. How about telling us about your handles guys? Just click on "Care to share how you got your handle?" at the following link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 5&start=30
Welcome aboard gentlemen!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon