Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Dec 04, 2010 03:27

The Butcher wrote:
steelchef wrote:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/hams-other ... a-scrapple

It is probably the one you are looking for, :?: :wink:

Colin
That's the one buddy! I use only buckwheat flour (hand-milled) in my recipe along with white pepper and flax (I put flax in everything)
You are welcome!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 23:23

Here's a great big welcome to another new member!
Hello trapperbruce from Whitehorse in the Yukon. Your face looks familiar. Haven't we seen you before on another certain board from England? As I remember, you know your way around a sausage kitchen pretty well eh? Perhaps we can learn a few tricks from you. Welcome aboard Bruce. You are certainly welcome here.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
odell
Beginner
Beginner

Post by odell » Sun Dec 05, 2010 03:26

hey chuckwagon, thanks for the welcome. I was a custom meat cutter several years ago. Then I retired. Bought a small farm and set up a cutting room. I raise 4 or 5 hogs a year for friends and family. Decided I wanted to do my own curing and smoking but didn't know much about it so I guess I'm a beginner. I have alot of questions and am finding answers on this site. Just recieved my copy of Quality Meats and Sausages, totally impressed with it. Will probably be asking more questions as I learn more.
I did do 2 hams, a loin, bacon and smoked sausage this year, they turned out really good thanks to info from this site.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 02:16

Two more members! :grin: Welcome aboard ron 12/07/10 and Willysz 12/09/10. Great to have you fellars here! What have you got in the smoker guys? Anything interesting going through the grinder?
Don't be afraid to jump in and answer anyone's questions if you have an answer or a possible answer to help someone else. If you have a question yourself, these nice people will come up with an answer one way or another. If we get stumped, we can always go to Seminole or Siara! Those guys 'wrote the book'.
Its nice to see your smilin' faces here folks! Again, welcome to Homemade Sausage Making.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 02:24

Odell wrote:
I did do 2 hams, a loin, bacon and smoked sausage this year, they turned out really good thanks to info from this site.
Hey that's pretty cool odell. Info from this site really helped you? That is terrific. When people help other people, we ALL succeed eh? What kind of smoked sausage did you make? Have you tried any semi-dried snacks etc.? Jerky? Anyone interested in using Bactoferm in a fermented sausage? The bioculture makes the process short and uniform. It will treat a couple of hundred pounds for about 15 bucks.
How did you cure your hams odell? Brine or rubbed?
Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:27

Hey! Welcome aboard cmwallis from Lubbock, Texas. Goodness, you fine folks from Texas will soon outnumber the Polish members on this site. :lol: If I remember correctly, you folks in Lubbock have a few legendary barbecue restaurants there don't you? Nice to see you here cm!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 06:33

Welcome aboard Lyle Smith. Are you a seasoned vet or a beginner?
Hey, you've got to be careful this time of year. Do ya know why?
ONE TEQUILA, TWO TEQUILA, THREE TEQUILA, FLOOR! :roll:

Nice to have you here Lyle.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 06:41

Hi biggoose from Ontario! Welcome aboard. You live in one of the most picturesque places in the world and have a bunch of great sausage makers in your neck of the nape... uh... nook of the woods... uh... nape of the neck... uh.... your province! Good to see you here biggoose!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
odell
Beginner
Beginner

Post by odell » Sun Dec 19, 2010 01:16

hey chuckwagon, haven't been around for awhile.
to answer your question I brined and pumped the hams and the loin with info from this site, the sausage was kind of an extension of my fresh sausage with the addition of cure #1 and some of Rytek Kutas soy protein concentrate. I made some venison jerky using Rytek's basic recipe and my smoker. It turned just great. I believe the info on this site is priceless!! I am not real good at this computer stuff yet, so please bear with me.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:01

Heck Odell,
I don't think anyone is all that great with a computer. I have trouble posting a photo on this site! But.... my biscuits ain't bad! :roll:
Hang in there Odell and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are lots of folks here with an answer for you.
Happy New Year and keep up the choppin', grindin' and smokin' !
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 04:21

Hi New folks! We're up to sixty-six members now and have a BIG WELCOME for:

Troski (12/16/10) in Ohio, U.S.A. who had to :re-up" and sign back in because of computer problems. Good to see you George!

Blackriver (12/19/10) is an ol' experienced friend from Madison, Wisconsin - It's nice to have you here Scott.

roestaly (12/21/10) is from Bangkok

veljkoi (12/22/10) is in Obrenovak

pdk (12/25/10) from Illinois

Podis (12/27/10) from Michigan

Podis (12/27/10) from Michigan

Now.... don't be modest new guys! You are among friends here. There are no strangers here and no such thing as a silly question. Well, on second thought... here's one:
WHY IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON SOUR CREAM? :lol:

Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 05:21

Yikes! We have a bunch of new members! Hello sausagemakin' - hickory smokin' - pork lovers! WELCOME to Homemade Sausage Making!

Hello Papajon in New Jersey! Joined 12/28/10
and
Salmonclubber in the great state of Washington! Joined 12/28/10
and
BBW Bob! Wow! Bob is in Clifton, New Jersey with Papajon! Tell me, is the state big enough to hold BOTH you sausagemakin' guys?
And last but not least, Hello to
Chich in Michigan 12/29/10. - where the winters are cold, cold, cold!

I really enjoy talkin' with good folks who love to make good meat products for their own enjoyment. We certainly OUTSHINE the supermarkets eh?
I urge you to purchase copies of Stan Marianski's books.... Especially the green and orange covered book called "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages".
I am a retired sausage maker of about 60 years. I consider my ol' friend Rytek Kutas (now deceased) to be the pioneer in "home sausage production". However, I believe that Stanley Marianski is the foremost expert in the world today, when it comes to the basic science and application of meat "know how" in bacons, hams, sausages, and all other meat products. Stan has gone to great lengths to produce his expert publication for all of us amateur charcuterriers!
Let's give him and his sons, the support so well-deserved.

I remain with best wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Jan 21, 2011 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ Bob

Post by BBQ Bob » Thu Dec 30, 2010 16:03

Thanks for the welcome, Chuckwagon! Been coming to this site for a couple of months now...never knew till yesterday there was a forum here. Glad I found it.
25 years ago I smoked pot...now I smoke pork.

Klose Extended 20" Backyard Chef.
WSM
Retired Smokers
New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle ( destoryed during storm)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 08:24

Hey, Hey, Hey! 2 more members today.
Big Welcomes to my old pal Nutczak in Minocqua, Wisconsin and to Walkie in Blossvale, New York.
We know that Nutczak is an experienced pro who sells his smoked products in his own catering business. Good to see you Sean!
Walkie, have you stoked a few fires in your smoker or are you a beginner. Lookin' forward to chattin' with you. Welcome aboard.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
odell
Beginner
Beginner

Post by odell » Sat Jan 01, 2011 21:10

Chuckwagon,
Thanks for your input and happy New Year to you and all the others on this web site! I'm sure I will have questions as I try new things, and I will ask even if I think they silly. I don't know why they put the warning on sour cream, but I will ponder the question :!: If I come up with an answer, I will let you know.