Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Małgoś
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Małgoś » Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:15

Hi Guys! :grin:
Nice to meet you ! :cool: :grin:
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 18:33

Welcome Małgoś :grin:
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Fri Feb 25, 2011 03:52

Małgoś, Nice to see you here :mrgreen: Finally :wink:
"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 07:45

Hi Malgos, It's nice to see you here. Welcome aboard! Now, if Trosky would teach me how to pronounce "Szczecin", I'd be a happy sausage maker! What have you got in your smoker Malgos? Something tells me that you are experienced in making sausages. Got any great recipes for the forum? :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. Malgos, would you show us how to write "Good Morning" in Polish?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Małgoś
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Małgoś » Fri Feb 25, 2011 09:28

Good Morning ! :mrgreen: ... " Dzień dobry" :mrgreen: !
I agree- Szczecin is a different word ... but when will you repeat from time to time ,this word will be easy :wink: .
I think,my english is no good ,but I try write and speak :razz: .
I taught ca 25 years ago :roll: ..
I'm very friendly woman and I want to stay here long time.. :oops:
Regards
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 09:46

Dzień dobry Malgos! :lol:
I think your English is great! In fact, it's much better than some Americans I know. You certainly don't have to apologize. I just wish I could speak Polish that well. I am getting pretty old, but when I grow up, I'd like to be like Miroslaw Gebarowski :lol: What do you think? :wink:

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Małgoś
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Małgoś » Fri Feb 25, 2011 09:49

Chuckwagon wrote:but when I grow up, I'd like to be like Miroslaw Gebarowski
Good joke ..hi..hi.. :wink: :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 09:53

We'll talk to you soon Malgos. It's a pleasure to meet you. Right now, I'm going to find my pillow and count some sheep! Have a great day today! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Małgoś
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Małgoś » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:18

ok..bye ..see you.. :grin: Good Night! :grin:
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Feb 26, 2011 09:13

Welcome Malgos,

We need more femininity on this site. Your questions and contibutions are very welcome. Your city is beautiful and for the information of Moderator Chuckwagon, is pronounced "Stettin," in English.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Sat Feb 26, 2011 16:11

Hello to all
I am a 48 year old married guy, living way up in the hills of the Scottish Borders. Main interests are deer hunting and shooting varmints. All deer is processed for our own use, Mainly Sika deer, I shoot here on the farm.

I struggling to find a good tasting sausage in any of the supermarkets or butcher shops near me. So I decided to make my own.

My first attempt recently, ended up a success. Not quite the success I was looking for though. I planned on making Lorne sausage and pork links. I asked a friend who was going out to the USA on business to bring me back 2 stuffing tubes for my Santos No 8 mincer.

I decided to buy 20mm sheep casings, as we both prefer a thinner sausage (could have been bigger I think). I did not have the kidney shaped plate for my mincer, thinking the one with the biggest holes would suffice. How wrong was I. The first three sausages looked like they were from a butchers shop, real good meat texture. Next pound looked like they were from a supermarket reduced shelf. The meat was not getting pushed through easy enough to exit the stuffer tube, it was being sent back and forward inside the mincer which created an emulsion. I stopped immediately and decided that the 20lbs of sausage meat that I was hoping to stuff into the casings was now in jeopardy of not being used. I hate waste, so I decided to turn this meat also into Lorne sausage. It was not as firm as the Lorne mix I had earlier made. Still it was going to be made into Lorne. I have to say, everyone that has tasted them loves them.

I have one confession that I have to make. When I purchased the meat, I thought it was too lean and needed extra fat, the meat cutter told me that all the meat they have comes in already cut and packed, they only cut and process Lamb. I was given about 12lbs of lamb fat that was really about half and half fat and meat (poor cutter). I used this too mix with my Pork shoulder. I have to say they are delicious. I then read on I think this site, that you should not use Lamb fat for making sausages. I do not understand why as they do not have a taste of Lamb which is over powering the taste.

I would like to experiment with other sausage recipe's and hopefully progress to making Salami's.
I just bought a pack of Kabanos for the first time. The meat is delicious but the skin is really tough and almost gives me a sort of metallic taste from it. I had to use a potato peeler to take the skin off to make them taste better. Boy do they taste good without the skins.

Sorry for the long winded post.

For those that do not know what Lorne sausage is. it is a square sausage that is shaped in a Lorne pan, looks like a brick of sausage meat. It is I suppose not technically a sausage as it has no casing.

Ian
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Feb 26, 2011 20:10

G'day SikaStag,

Fàilte and Welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of information here. The reason that you may have read "that you should not use Lamb fat for making sausages" probably has a lot to do with the fact that lamb and mutton is not in much favour in North America. I hasten to add that there are definitely some afficionados but in general, not so much. I would guess that it ranks at least fifth after pork, beef, venison, poultry.
That said; taste is in the mouth of the consumer so knock yourself out.
Following is the recipe I use:

Lorne Sausage

2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
1 lb Lean Ground Pork
1 lb Pork Back Fat
1 cup non-fat Dry Milk Powder
2 tsp White Pepper
1 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp Mustard Powder
3 tsp Coriander
2 tsp Salt
1 cup of ice water

Mix all ingredients well by hand or stand mixer. Place into bread pans and refrigerate until firm. Slice as you would bread and freeze slices, wrapped individually . Thaw and fry slices and enjoy in a sandwich, on a bun or as an entree.

Good luck with your endeavours and stay in touch. we would be interested in how you deal with your deer meat.

Colin
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 04:36

Hi SikaStag and Welcome aboard!
I see that Mr. Smarty Pants (Steelchef) has already introduced himself. He likes to tell everyone we`re related because I`m so danged good lookin`. :cool: He`s also jealous because I "snag all the babes" with my terrific mustache. :shock: He once claimed to have aspirations of being a chef because he thought it would add a little spice to his life, but had to give it up, as he just couldn`t find the thyme! Yup, ol` Steelchef tried to stay in the food industry for awhile as he went to work in a Canadian orange juice factory, but I heard he got canned because he couldn`t concentrate! And that`s not all! He once told me that he just hates M&M candies because they are so hard to peel! So, just don`t believe him if he tries to tell you that we are related.

It`s nice to have you here Ian. Hope we can exchange lots of info. Your post was very interesting. Stick with it and we`ll have you making fermented sausages in no time.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Feb 27, 2011 06:22

Ian - Staggman,
I hate to drag you into the family fight but here is the real story.
Chuckwagon is actually my father. The paternity suit is still tied up in court. That accounts for my good looks and success with the ladies.
Fortunately for all of us, I did not inherit the innuendo factor. My proof is that he had to use Spell Checker to confirm the spelling of M&M's.
The orange juice bit is equally outrageous as everyone knows that Canadian orange juice drips into containers without the necessity of processing.
Hope your sense of humour is up to this exchange and we still want to know how you deal with your venison. :grin:
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:56

Hey guys.

Thank god I aint got a moustache, or rumours would be circulating.

A thought crossed my mind as I read the two above posts. Could you guys have the early symptoms of Nitrate or Nitrite poisoning. :razz:

As for the Venison I harvest. I grind the front end, I keep the back straps for a special meal, usually cream & pepper sauce, served pink in the middle.

I would break the back legs into there muscle groups and dice the meat to have as stew and to make steak pies.
Scottish steak pies have Pork sausages in them cut up into about an inch in length. if you can get good sausages, you sometimes want to eat the sausages and leave the meat.

Now I have a different approach. I do all my own butchering, I was taking too much time on the back legs, I decided to keep them whole. To cook a leg, years ago I would of roasted the leg in the oven wrapped in tinfoil.
I am not a fan of oven cooked meat, nice when it comes out the oven, like leather the next day. I like to get as many meals as possible from a piece of meat (who said Scotsmen are tight).
I prefer to put the whole leg (minus the hock) into a very large stock pot. I have enough water to just cover the leg by about a 1/2", I bring the pot to the boil, I then add salt and pepper, that is the only ingredient that goes into the pot other than the venison. Once the pot has come to the boil, I simmer the leg for at least 2-3 hours.
I can tell when the meat is ready by pushing a skewer well into the leg meat and pulling up, if the leg comes off the bottom of the pot, I keep it cooking. Once I am happy with the meat being cooked, I just tun of the cooker and let the meat sit in the pot till it has cooled down to where I can break down the muscle groups and get rid of bones, veins and Lymph nodes.
The meat is then either used that day for a meal or more often it is frozen in zip lock bags and when ever the wife wants to have like a roast beef type meal, she takes the venison out of the freezer and I slice it once defrosted. She will then lay the sliced meat in an oven dish covering the meat with a gravy that she has made from some of the stock that was frozen at the same time as the meat.
The meat melts in your mouth. I have not tasted venison ever as good as doing it this way.

If you happen to have made too much, next day the meat is a succulent as the day before.
Everyone that has shared a meal with us done this way, says it is the nicest meat they have ever eaten.
Like I have read on this site, sausage recipes are best kept simple. The above way to cook a deer leg is as simple as they come. Another benefit of this method is that the stock that is left in the pot can be drank like a beef tea or made into a broth soup. It is delicious.
I do the exact same way if I am cooking Lamb or Mutton.

Ian