Hi New Guys - Introduce Yourself

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
PDawkins

Newbie here

Post by PDawkins » Tue Feb 24, 2015 01:20

Howdy all!! Relative newbie here. I've made some breakfast sausage, Italian, brats and summer sausage. So many more I wanna make. Eventually dried fermented sausage. I use a Kitchenaid grinder, a Bosch mixer, and a LEM 5 pound stuffer. It works for me as I make fairly small batches. Happy with what I've made so far, no failures. This should be a good place to learn!!

From East Central Illinois. 55 years old. I tend to research things to death before I attempt, as I have far more time than money.

Anyway, unto the breach!!!
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 24, 2015 08:24

Welcome Mr. Dawkins! You can research to your heart's content here. There are literally hundreds of meaty pages here full of information. You can read Stan Marianski's pages covering most aspects of meat processing at home, http://www.meatsandsausages.com/ along with hundreds of recipes. And of course it's all supplemented with personal experiences of the members of this forum.. Read, study and fill your head with sausage making, it's a heck of a satisfying hobby.

And don't hesitate to ask questions and comment on what others are doing. Pictures of your creations are also more than welcome.

Glad to have you aboard!

redzed
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 23:21

Greetings All.
Polish guy who is making a real polish kielbasa. Living in snowy (and actually cold) Mass. I'm using a real smoker made from bricks and wood (made by myself, and called - Cadillac), also LEM (big Bite) grinder, mixer, stuffer. Mostly using recipes, advises from polish version of that website.
Thank you and glad to be here.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 25, 2015 07:26

Witaj kol. Stefan!

Great to have you join us, and I have read some of your recent posts on our Polish site as well. Right now we need more input here about good old style kielbasa, since we have drifted more and more into dry cured territory. Once you finish shovelling all that snow you are getting, please post some pics of your recent sausage making. We are all students here!

Welcome and I hope you will hang around here for a long time!

redzed
Last edited by redzed on Thu Feb 26, 2015 08:14, edited 1 time in total.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Wed Feb 25, 2015 21:57

Hi Redzed, hi all.
Thank you for welcoming. There are no promises, but will try to show my ways with making kielbasa and other polish staff. Before I start - there are small breaks between a deliveries of fresh snow :lol: Anyway yesterday I smoked some kielbasa when outside was around 3-10 F. It was some kind of test for my smoker and it is working great in extremely crazy weather. So let me first show you some of my pictures during construction of main tool in that process - smoker Cadillac. (will post them in smoker topics).
Stefan
Last edited by StefanS on Thu Feb 26, 2015 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
gator gar

Post by gator gar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 17:16

Hello everyone, this is Mark from east Texas. I've been reading thru these pages for awhile now. Probably the best site on the internet as far as I'm concerned when dealing with sausage. I've read Len Poli's site too, but man I like this one a little bit better. I've got 20 pounds of pork and deer Jalapeno and cheese sausage with a couple of meaty shoulder blade bones smoking as we speak. Looking forward to being here awhile and soaking up all the info I can.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 02, 2015 17:15

Welcome gator gar! Great to hear from you and I'm very happy that you are enjoying our forum and have benefited from it. That pork and venison jalapeno and cheese sausage sounds delicious! Wish I had some for breakfast this morning! Somehow that bowl of oatmeal with skim milk just does not look good anymore!

How about giving us a bit more info on the chorizo and posting some pictures?

Glad to have you aboard this sausage train!
smknpastor

Post by smknpastor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 23:18

Hello everyone, this is Steve from San Antonio Texas, I've read all the way through the project Bs and the KB but have yet to make any of the sausage. Used a smoker for a couple of years now. It is a hobby to relieve the pressures of pastoring a small church. The upside is I'm never short of those who want to try my experiments. I hope to learn more and get started real soon. If there is another project coming up I hope to participate. Thank you for all of the information and things that I have already learned
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 08:55

Hey Pastor Steve, you've found your flock! We are very happy to have you! And yes, I have noticed that many guys (and gals of course), buy a smoker to prepare pulled pork, brisket, chicken or fish, then want to take it one step further and make sausage. And that is when the fun begins! There are so many types, variations and formulations for sausages out there that it's mind boggling! But it's a great and practical hobby and if you share what you make you will never be without friends. :grin:

Our members are from all over the world so it's not possible to share more than photos of the sausages we make. But what we do here is share information and our experiences and we learn to make sausages or hone our skills to make a better product.

We have been considering another beginners' project, but don't want to have a repeat of the same process and recipes for the fourth time. If we can develop a new format, with more visual presentations we might organize another workshop in the fall. In the meantime, you are certainly welcome to review the past workshops and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask! There are always a number of us who are ready to help.
Podlasiak

Post by Podlasiak » Tue Mar 17, 2015 21:59

Hello.
A week ago, I was in Poland and the Polish Home Meats forum. Now I'm here and I hope to do the same thing in Poland. Real Polish sausage.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 18, 2015 06:20

Welcome Podlasiak to the English side of WD! I know that you have been visiting us for a while and hope that you will park yourself here often, now that you moved to the US! You are experienced with all facets of sausage making and a cullinary expert and we are very happy to have you in our circle!

redzed
wircotz

Post by wircotz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 21:32

holy smokes ..what a great site...I just know im going to pick up some great information here! awesome site!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 30, 2015 06:53

Welcome wircotz! You are right it's a great site loaded with info and helpful advice. And the best part is that here we share our sausage making secrets and experiences and learn from each other! Make sure you take the time to surf through Stanley Marianski's pages here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/ and check out our Members Recipe Index here:

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146

Welcome aboard!
Africantanman

Post by Africantanman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 01:21

Hi guys. Wow... what an absolutely breathtaking hub of collective info about all things "sausage" from around the world. As the newest of noobs I am humbled and excited to have registered for this site. I am a complete rookie at the charcuterie game (I tried my hand at pancetta and home smoked bacon with limited success...) but have decided to jump into the world of making salami and doing it properly.
My first question (of many to come :smile: ) has to do with nonfat dry milk powder. I am struggling here in Cape Town to find any... it is all full cream powder here. Is there an essential difference between the two? Thank you in advance for any help!!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:50

Welcome to the forum Atm!

In most recipes the milk powder is used as a filler and you can just skip it.
Traditional recipies did not use any fillers like milk powder and soy protein.

What do you plan to make and what recipe are you using?