Care To Share How You Got Your Handle?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Sat Jun 04, 2011 16:59

Since I'm born, raised & spent most of my adult life in northern california, seems a reasonable handle. Although, "Kid" is a bit of a stretch of the truth. But "NorCal Over 50 Middle-aged Guy" dosent have the same flair.... :mrgreen:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Mongrel

Post by Mongrel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 04:14

I was given my tag by a Greek workmate years ago. He reckons I was a bit of a bitser (bit of this and a bit of that)......Aussie ocker with a Scandinavian twist, odd and unpredictable. It has stuck like cat s**t ever since.
Cheers and more beers :razz:
Mongrel
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 05:44

Crusty was given to my by my step-son, it is short for crusty deamon, as I was always a dare devil from when I was in the Army and it got me into a lot of trouble too.
I just added the year I was born.
Now I am older and I should be wiser but I am still a dare-devil.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28

Hi Everyone,

I joined the Forum yesterday, and thank you Chuckwagon for the welcome message.

My handle, Bubba, to me is synonymous with the South, where I live.
The handle Bubba has stuck with me for some years now.

A little more about me:-
I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa and immigrated to America 11 years ago. Having arrived here initially on a work authorization, I worked on and eventually was awarded my permanent residence. Over those years I posted on different immigration and South African forums mostly using my first name Ron. One member suggested I should rather call myself Bubba, and it has stuck since.

My interest in home sausage making was an "assisted initiation" by my 2nd daughter who now also lives in the USA. In South Africa they have a traditional sausage called "Boerewors" or (Farmers Sausage - translated). The South African stores do keep them, but there was always the distance and high cost to get some from the stores. Also what I remember from the taste was not quite what I found here in the stores.
My daughter bought me a hand grinder (we all have to start somewhere!) for my birthday 1-1/2 years ago. Since then my hobby has evolved into having an electric grinder, proper sausage stuffer and also adding meat smoking to my hobby.
Being raised in a part German speaking home (my Father was German), we always used to get very delicious German sausages and cold cut meats at home from German butchers.
And so the hobby has evolved into making a good Boerewors and then also the right method for German bratwurst (fresh, smoked and cooked) and recently I also made some "Kassler" ham that turned out very good.
A long introduction about me, I look forward to reading a lot here and making new on-line friends in this forum.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 10, 2011 13:59

Bubba I have a sister in South Carolina down in the low country as they call itmy brothers live up near Spartanburg. Good to have you on board.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Darthfrog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Darthfrog » Sun Jul 10, 2011 16:52

Bubba wrote: And so the hobby has evolved into making a good Boerewors and then also the right method for German bratwurst (fresh, smoked and cooked) and recently I also made some "Kassler" ham that turned out very good.
Hi Bubba & welcome aboard. I'd be really interested in finding out more about your good Boerewors, if you'd care to share how you make it. I've heard of this sausage but have never tried it. How is it normally consumed? As a breakfast sausage? Or is there a national dish of South Africa that uses it?

--
Cheers,
Rob
I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 10, 2011 19:13

ssorllih wrote:Good to have you on board.
Thank you!
Darthfrog wrote:Hi Bubba & welcome aboard. I'd be really interested in finding out more about your good Boerewors, if you'd care to share how you make it. I've heard of this sausage but have never tried it. How is it normally consumed? As a breakfast sausage? Or is there a national dish of South Africa that uses it?
Thank you Darthfrog, Boerewors is a grilling sausage for "lunch or dinner", not normally eaten with breakfast. But nothing wrong with having a good piece of Boerewors with eggs for breakfast though! :smile:

I started a new topic in "Recipes from around the world" titled "Boerewors", the recipe with my notes are copy pasted there.
Quick Link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5137
Last edited by Bubba on Sun Jul 10, 2011 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Brian57

Post by Brian57 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20

Hi guys, where did my handle come from well its not clever its not funny and not verry interesting but here it is. For thoes without their finger on the pulse the first part 'Brian' is my name, the second part '57'comes from th fact as I work at H J Heinz at wigan and as we all know the infamous Heinz logo is '57' so there you have it how I got my handle I told you its not clever its not funny and not verry interesting but you asked so there you are.

Back to the plan, I already have and hope to learn alot more about sausage making I have bought some flavourings and skins and hopefuly I will be making my first sausage this weekend. Iwill let you know how I get on.

I do a lot of cooking in our house my speciality being Indian curry Resraurant style so hopefully I will learn and may be help people about this as well.

I am also keen on making my own cheese I've already made a few with better than I thought results,so I will keep you informed about that as well.

By for now hope to be back soon.
Brian57
If curry be the food of life I shall live for ever
gurkanyeniceri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by gurkanyeniceri » Wed Jul 27, 2011 05:48

What ever I do on the internet, I always use my real name without the accent characters of course when it comes to English speaking web sites. Google search does not differentiate between the characters and brings all the results which is neat.

My name is Gürkan Yeniçeri, so you see "u" and "c" has got extra bits. It is a Turkish name and my surname is coming from the name of Ottoman Empire military which in English called Janissary. Pronunciation of my name requires a 2 day hands-on workshop :razz:
Cheers,

Gurkan Yeniceri
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 06:39

Brian57 wrote:
the second part '57'comes from th fact as I work at H J Heinz at wigan and as we all know the infamous Heinz logo is '57'
Hey Brian, could I could interest you in an old trail recipe for beans n' franks? I would give MY SOUL and EYE TEETH to have the recipe for Heinz 57 Chow Chow Pickle! Sure.... about another 957,000,000 human beings would also like to have the recipe too! :shock:
I would endure my toenails being slowly pulled out with pliers just to get my grubby hands on the recipe! My eyes could be put out with flaming arrows and my lips could be sewn shut... ALL if you could send me (by PM of course) the Heinz 57 recipe for "Chow-Chow Pickle"! Hmmmm.... I would even sign a document not to release it to anyone else. Secret stuff I know! :roll:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagonchowchowenglishpicklegottahaveit! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 16:31

[/quote]Chuckwagonchowchowenglishpicklegottahaveit!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chuck this has got to be you at your best.
hoghunter

DUH!!!

Post by hoghunter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 13:05

Excuse Me! I posted my handle info in the wrong area, maybe I ought 2 change it to rocket scientist (now braindead) !! I copied and pasted it here where it should B!
Hey Chuckwaon,
Is yours posted?
Also I'll put a photo on when I figure out how 2!

Thanks for the warm welcome Chuckwagon!
My handle is inspired for my love of hunting, and lately trying to make sausage out of the results. I enjoy all kinds of hunting from squirrel to elk, and several animals in between. I chose Hoghunter because hogs are the only thing where I live that will bite back! I tell you it is a real adrenalin boost hearing a sow growling at you about 20 yards away in the dark, in thick brush, with a litter of pigs with her. I'm not what you'd call an accomplished hog hunter as I've only killed three. Wild hogs are VERY smart. I stalk or still hunt them. I've never been on a hunt with dogs, to me that is not much of a challenge. Folks that do hunt them with dogs are doing the country a service as wild hogs are very prolific and destructive. I'm a beginner at making sausage and only had one good batch last fall when I spiced up some meat and stuffed it into "slim jim" sticks then slow cooked it over hickory on a big grill, it was delicious. I'm still working on recipes and know I'll find some good ones here. As I told my friend Chuckwagon I'm a chief engineer on a riverboat. We are on the move a lot so internet service is spotty, right now we are stopped not far from Cincinatti Ohio. I'll be going home in two weeks and I've got about 50 lbs. of deer meat ready to spice n grind so I better get busy lookin for some of the great recipes on this site!
Thanks In Advance for all the recipes on here. I know a lot of folks have a lot of time and money invested in them.
Regards,
Hoghunter
Hoghunter; now your cookin with lard!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 21:35

Hey Hey Hoghunter,
Thanks for explainin' your tag to these folks. I can attest to your success in hunting wild hogs. I believe you call them "javelina" don't you? The Texans on our site know too! They hunt the creatures with tusks with some sort of vengeance! In my state we just do not have these wonderful, wild, pig creatures, although in my youth, I once dated a girl that sort of resembled one... tusk and all! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Aug 01, 2011 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 08:49

Thanks again Chuckwaggon for the welcome,

How did I get the handle? I wish it was as mysterious as some or as regal as others but sad to say that is not the case. As my children was growing up many, many [and a lot more] years ago being a poor [still] landed immigrant to this fair and wonderful land with Christmas fast approaching with not a morsel in sight I erd the misses venture the wise words of wisdom [??] `Wot ar we gona git the rug rats frum Santa` :roll:

I turnd out mi pockets only to note; there wuz nowt in um as there wuz oles in um. :cry:

Scratching mi ed for a mo I pondered the pain only to realise the fingers wuz full of splinters which lead to the solution. Off my butt I promptly got and down the basement with as much haste as I could muster. Now this being our new abode I went a looking for my tools. Box after box I went a looking only to find twenty five boxes later it was sitting on the orange crate I was using as a workbench.

Over the next few weeks right after work with only time to down a cuppa of rosie lee it was down to the basement to build a dollhouse for the two girls and a race car for the lad, the dollhouse was two foot square with all the trimmings and the race car eighteen inches long. Christmas was a wonderful event with all three rug rats with smiles on their face. :smile:

You are probably thinking by now wots this gota do wiv the handle? Not much really, only that friends of thu misses saw wot I made and asked if they could get some toys for their brats. Upon pondering the pros and cons the money won out as I could start a side business to make a little extra cash to put some meat on the table. This now ment I needed to come up wiv a name for said business and whot better thun were I cum frum and where I live now. Britain/Canada hence BriCan. The i in Bri is pronounced as eye.
Since joining different forums I needed a name, hence the handle BriCan. :shock:

It`s nice to see some old friends here as well looking forward to meating new ones. By the way Chuckwaggon, go easy on Steelchef he might not speak the Queens English but by gum lad he duz speak proper English az good az I do. :roll:

Kind Regards

BriCan

ps sorry about being long winded

pps below is a photo of the tool set I built the toys for the rug rats that first Christmas

Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 16:12

Nice picture of a ice cube wif a wee frog init. :lol: :lol: :lol: