Care To Share How You Got Your Handle?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Wed Mar 02, 2011 13:23

SikaStag is the name I gave myself, as a sign of respect to the animal that I harvest to feed my family through out the year.
Reading some of the weights of you guys, I must be a slim trim 6' weighing 210lbs of pure Scottish Cellulite. :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Mar 02, 2011 13:48

When I joined a wooden boat forum I had a problem finding a user name that i was certain to remember. So I just spell my first and last names backwards. On the other hand my sailboat is named Bietzpadlin which is a totally made-up word because it really does beat paddling.
Ross- tightwad home cook
odell
Beginner
Beginner

Post by odell » Wed Mar 09, 2011 02:12

I have been sitting here trying my best to think of some humorous story or reason for my handle. I guess its just a lack of imagination and\or wit.. Its just my last name :sad:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:12

Well, well... Mister Odell,
That's ok - we're just glad to hear from you! And don't feel badly. My own handle story is more boring than you can imagine. :lol: Have you had any good sausage going lately? Tonight I'm making Steelchef's Country Sausage.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Salmonclubber
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Salmonclubber » Wed Mar 09, 2011 04:38

back in the late 70's when cb radio's became popular my father was the local fish buyer in a small fishing town he called himself the Salmonclubber the name stuck and when the computer forums all wanted a user name I just started using my fathers cb handle now i use it on everything and yes i still live close to that small fishing town and I do own my own boat and i do fish Salmon so the name does kinda fit :-)
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Mar 09, 2011 05:36

Hey ther Odell. Until my granddaughter inspired me I used a lot of 'handles' that were variations of my name. I also used our provincial animal, "Spirit Bear" for many years.
It really isn't important. What is important, is that you enjoy your time on this forum and help us out with your knowledge and/or make use of ours.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Mar 09, 2011 05:41

Salmonclubber, boy did I have you pegged wrong. I had an idea that you took some of that beautiful, red alder smoked salmon down to the clubs with which to bribe the doormen.
Hey, I once used smoked salmon to get in front of a long que to get a tire fixed. :grin:
True story!
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Thu Mar 10, 2011 07:57

To Sika Stag and ssorllih -

I want you both to know that I did post replies to both of your posts. I have contacted Admin and they acknowledge veiwing them. However, they have disappeared into the ether.

For the record, I appreciate your sharing of the origins of your 'handles.'

This apology is extended to anyone else who may have been or feel overlooked.

Colin
rnebbs

Post by rnebbs » Fri Mar 11, 2011 01:06

rnebbs is what I i use because all the guy's at work call me Ronnie Nebbs. Nebbs my last name shortened with out the 2 vowels at the end and the s added.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 05:55

Welcome Mr Nebb**s,

We have a lot of fun here and also share an immense amount of knowledge in the art of sausagemaking. We hope you will be a regular visitor and welcome your contributions.

I am retired and become a couch potato during our long winters. (I recently woke up from a nap and the dog had me wired up to a CPR machine.) In the spring, the dog can't catch me.

A word to all members. If you are novices and don't feel able to contribute, please stay in touch. Send us a word every now and then.

Don't feel pressured by those who have the resources to send detailed pictures of their equipment and accomplishments. (Although they too are welcome.)

I personally make some very acceptable sausage, in a rudimentary, converted freezer. My interests are more in the acheivement and enjoyment of my products than the presentation of my successes.

Halleluljah! Spring is not far off.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:37

My Handle "JBK101" is very Simple in Nature it is the initials of my first name, middle name and last name with the 101 part sybllizing that life starts with the basics or the begining and every basic or begining college course starts out with 101 designation hence the 101 part.

A little about me! I was born and raised in Hamtramck, Michigan (Detroit area) and have lived in the Southern, Indiana area for the past 23 years. My Parents both imigrated from Poland at the end of WWII and met in a work camp before coming to the states. My Mom and Dad instilled Deep Polish Traditions in me and a real love of traditional Polish Foods which I enjoy making for my Family. As the area I live in does not have a rich Eastern Europeon background I have been on a individual quest to reproduce the food that I grew up loving.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sat Apr 23, 2011 05:58

Well, as far as bears go they're round, furry, lovable and cuddly. Pretty much moi!

Oh, and the first three letters of my first name...just kinda felt right.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun May 08, 2011 11:33

Thank you JerBear and JBK101 for sharing your bio's.

I've been remiss in recognising contributions to this thread.

The fuzzy bear seems a little reluctant to admit that his given name is actually Jeraldine. that's OK Big Guy. We are an understanding group. :razz:

John, you have been forthcoming and honest so you get a pass on the sarcasm.
My heritage is Scottish so I have little to offer in the way of traditional recipes unless you are a fan of haggis.
Our friend SikaStag makes a mean Lorne sausage although it is more a meat loaf than true sausage. (Tasty and versatile just the same.)

We of Celtic roots owe a great deal to continental sausage makers and truly appreciate their sharing of recipes and formulas.

I'm sure that I speak for all members of the forum in saying that there is no way to properly thank the Poles who established this site. Allowing it to be presented in English is a gift beyond description.

I spent several years visiting undisciplined sites and having hit and miss success/failure. Since hooking up here, there have been no failures.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon May 09, 2011 19:52

Steelchef,
I may be Honest and Forthcoming :mrgreen: but don't hold back on the sarcasm on that account. I just blame that on my Polish Heritage and the strong guidance of my Mom and Dad (and the occasional swat of the belt :lol: ) I have to agree with you about the creators of the web site though, not enough praise can be passed on to them from my opinion.
charcutebrew
Beginner
Beginner

Post by charcutebrew » Thu Jun 02, 2011 16:25

"Charcutebrew" came about with some good-natured teasing from a buddy. My interests are wide-ranging, which can make it difficult to take a career direction. But I've long talked about opening a brewpub (from what I hear, though, having your own restaurant involves lots of prep time during closed hours, so I dunno...).

I've been coming into work with stories and pictures of, initially, corned beef & sauerkraut, then more recently bacon, pancetta, peperone, & salami, so my friend suggested I open a "Charcutepub."