Care To Share How You Got Your Handle?

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Thu Aug 11, 2011 00:30

Back in the wayback, the first forum I joined was a forum for Greyhound rescue and adoption (racers). I had started volunteering with a rescue group, and was planning to adopt very soon, and I joined the forum. Being from Virginia and working with Greyhounds, I decided on the entirely unoriginal "VA_Greys" for my handle, there; but, the site didn't accept special characters in the name, nor capitalization other than the first character, so it accepted my registration and told me my name was Vagreys. It kinda stuck and I kinda got used to it, so here I am.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
w1sby
Beginner
Beginner

Post by w1sby » Tue Aug 16, 2011 23:01

Hi all,

I guess I owe you guys an explanation for my handle...

Amateur (Ham) Radio is my second favorite hobby, with fishing being the first. I've been a ham since 1992 and have really enjoyed it.

So as to not sleight fishing, I've been doing that since I can remember, literally.

Getting back to the subject at hand, my amateur radio call sign is W1SBY.
The reason for that particular choice of call sign? My name is Allen Wisbey. I saw it was available, applied for it and was granted it by the FCC. Cool huh?

I'm looking forward to learning the art of sausage making.

Allen
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 01:24

Hmmm, ham radio :shock: Can this be smoked :wink:
w1sby
Beginner
Beginner

Post by w1sby » Wed Aug 17, 2011 02:16

uwanna61 wrote:Hmmm, ham radio :shock: Can this be smoked :wink:
Unfortunately the answer is yes... smells terrible and tastes just as bad :shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 02:42

Hey Allen, our buddy Wally (Uwanna) IS A HAM! :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
porterdriver
Beginner
Beginner

Post by porterdriver » Wed Aug 17, 2011 16:27

I guess we are encouraged to give an brief explanation as to our 'handle'.

Many years ago during my "Great Southeast Asian" Vacation I was employed by a company that was owned by a three-letter government agency. While in their employ, I flew several specialized aircraft, chief among them was the Pilatus Porter. Amazing STOL; could land it in a tree if you could get the tires to grip.

During that time, folks that flew specific aircraft tended to internally identify themselves as drivers instead of pilots. For example, a Snake Driver (as they were referred to among themselves) was an AH-1 Cobra helicopter pilot.

So that's it. I used to fly Pilatus Porters, ergo porterdriver.
porterdriver
lowpull
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lowpull » Sat Sep 24, 2011 16:18

Back in the day I started skydiving, well if any of you are skydivers the name is self evident. It was said that I lived in the thick air (the air right next to earth) the drop zone operator told me he was tired of counting my fingers while I was in free fall. I had a habit of opening below 1000ft so I was stuck with the name lowpull Bill . sometimes also called the mighty whitey , but that was from skydiving nekkid.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Sep 24, 2011 16:44

I have never understood why anyone will jump out a a perfectly good airplane. ;) I even knew some sneaky Petes that did that at night where there were people on the ground that didn't like them.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 19:45

Hey lowpull, you said:
sometimes also called the mighty whitey , but that was from skydiving nekkid.
I'll just bet that you are the only one on this forum that can make that claim! :shock: If I did something like that... with my luck... I land in a jam-packed football stadium on the 50-yard line during halftime!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 01:09

CW
I think I found our buddy Lowpull :wink: Go to Google video and type "Why Naked Men Should Not Parachute" the video is in German but you will get the idea, Funny stuff :mrgreen: I actual got this video via email a while back and couldn`t resist to share. I laugh every time I watch it...
Wally
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Thu Oct 06, 2011 15:34

:mrgreen: I must not have have a very inventive nature. My handle is my initials and state.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 01:54

That's ok, DL.
Our ol' buddy "RongWay" Ross Hill can't even spell from left to right. His handle is ssorllih :shock: Poor man snorts Cure #1.
Gringo Loco
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Gringo Loco » Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:30

Hello Everyone,
"Gringo Loco" means "Crazy White Man" in Spanish. This is how all my friends know me. Bieng a " spur of the moment " type that is usally already to late for me!! I jump in with both feet. So needless to say I have done some CRAZY stuff over the time. All legal of course!! Living life to the fullest thats me! :lol:
Ponsa llena, Corazon Muy Contento!!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:39

The last words of most rednecks is " hey yall ! watch ths"!
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:57

Hey Ross, Did you notice that Gringo Loco said he'd done some crazy stuff... ALL LEGAL! :wink:
I only WISH all my crazy crap had been LEGAL! :roll: Shucks, I even had to arrest myself once! :shock:
Gringo Loco... you sound like a regular guy and should fit right in with these yahoos who keep trying to put their square pegs into the round holes!